Is this song's opening considered a shuffle of other?

Dufus

I'm in my mid 50's. Playing guitar and bass for over three decades, but new to drums. Recently got into recording with a small home studio which led to getting a Yamaha DD65 drum pad kit. Not enough room to get an acoustic kit and the DD65 only needs a 1/4" Y-splitter to record with. I bought it used and upgraded it with a kick pedal/tower pad. Also made a pedal for the high-hat trigger that someone posted on Youtube. Anyway, my question is if the song Divine (time mark 33:30) opening is considered a shuffle of other? Recently turned on to this band and the drummer stands out (amongst other great musicians) throughout the album.

I'm hearing it in 7, with triplets. It's pretty cool, doesn't matter what you call it, probably just an odd time shuffle to give it a label. The first song is fun too, they have phrases of 5 over the shuffle that foreshadows the break out in a 5/4. Fun listen, thx for sharing

I'm in my mid 50's. Playing guitar and bass for over three decades, but new to drums. Recently got into recording with a small home studio which led to getting a Yamaha DD65 drum pad kit. Not enough room to get an acoustic kit and the DD65 only needs a 1/4" Y-splitter to record with. I bought it used and upgraded it with a kick pedal/tower pad. Also made a pedal for the high-hat trigger that someone posted on Youtube. Anyway, my question is if the song Divine (time mark 33:30) opening is considered a shuffle of other? Recently turned on to this band and the drummer stands out (amongst other great musicians) throughout the album.

This sounds like some kind of quintuplet shuffle:

1666912275.jpeg
Thanks for the replies. One more please. Shuffle?

Two bars of 7/16 .
Edit: or as Whitten says, 7/8.

The Wizard track is a shuffle (that is the drum feel). It seems to be in slow 4, with some chord changes and drum fills on odd places in the bar. If you count slow 4 the melody and chords almost always change on 1 (the downbeat).

Thanks again for all of the replies. I'm presently working towards shuffle beats to hopefully improve feel.

Some fine playing there..
- some jazz players around here play that kind of stuff really well. Off-time grooves and shuffles.. can get a bit mind boggling playing around the beat. But shuffles are king.. you could write a book about all the different types ; triplet shuffle, Chicago swing shuffle, snap shuffle, tight-loose shuffle, stumble shuffle.. or my favorite the killer shuffle.. then's there's half time shuffles etc. etc.
One thing that always amazes me is that you can find an underlying shuffle feel in so many different genres of music.. blues is the king.. but country, rock, pop, reggae, jazz etc. all have their flavours.

Some fine playing there..
- some jazz players around here play that kind of stuff really well. Off-time grooves and shuffles.. can get a bit mind boggling playing around the beat. But shuffles are king.. you could write a book about all the different types ; triplet shuffle, Chicago swing shuffle, snap shuffle, tight-loose shuffle, stumble shuffle.. or my favorite the killer shuffle.. then's there's half time shuffles etc. etc.
One thing that always amazes me is that you can find an underlying shuffle feel in so many different genres of music.. blues is the king.. but country, rock, pop, reggae, jazz etc. all have their flavours.
Thanks for the listings of shuffle types. Will YouTube them. Being a guitar player only for so long I didn't give enough attention to drummers until the past seven years or so. Some of the greats are too obvious to ignore, but it seems that most quality bands have a solid to great drummer.

It's "of other."

Thanks for the listings of shuffle types. Will YouTube them. Being a guitar player only for so long I didn't give enough attention to drummers until the past seven years or so. Some of the greats are too obvious to ignore, but it seems that most quality bands have a solid to great drummer.
Truth. It helps if everybody is solid to great, but while singers can get away with not being the best if they are distinctive and have charisma, a not solid drummer is considered a deal breaker.

Truth. It helps if everybody is solid to great, but while singers can get away with not being the best if they are distinctive and have charisma, a not solid drummer is considered a deal breaker.
"but while singers can get away with not being the best if they are distinctive and have charisma"

There's a lot of singers that fall into that category. Neil Young, Tom Petty, Billy Corgan to name a few. Those dudes aren't even very charismatic, but they can write and create songs that bring out emotions in listeners. I've seen a few bar bands in which the drummer can't hold a beat and makes everyone else in the band sound like crap, even if they aren't.

Last edited:
Back