Is this sacrilegious or what?

Hey...

...Has anyone done this to a Rush album? :)

If you wanted a Rush album to sound good, you'd not only have to fade the drums out, you'd have to fade everything out, from beginning to end.

Not making any friends here I guess ;)

Edit: Bo, you have to leave Billys solos inside, otherwise there won't be anything left for me to transcribe.

Edit: Bo, you have to leave Billys solos inside, otherwise there won't be anything left for me to transcribe.

I dig the act of transcription, and I haven't done it in a long long time (I probably can't anymore, that brain muscle hasn't been used forever), but I think there'd be a time when I'd rather hear what you played in that spot ;)

I dig the act of transcription, and I haven't done it in a long long time (I probably can't anymore, that brain muscle hasn't been used forever), but I think there'd be a time when I'd rather hear what you played in that spot ;)

Well.... certainly nothing that Billy hasn't played a gazillion times better before I guess. You know, I always thought about transcribing and imitating that it does lead to developing you own personal voice much more than starting to sound like someone else.

Babys learn to walk & talk through imitation, yet, everybody walks and talks different. You need to have your own creative mind and your own ideas though, but that has never been an issue with me.

Well.... certainly nothing that Billy hasn't played a gazillion times better before I guess. You know, I always thought about transcribing and imitating that it does lead to developing you own personal voice much more than starting to sound like someone else.

Babys learn to walk & talk through imitation, yet, everybody walks and talks different. You need to have your own creative mind and your own ideas though, but that has never been an issue with me.

Sure, but baby's do that. You've been playing for a while now. It's interesting 'cause I was just on Simon Phillip's website and he has a section where he's answering fan questions and somebody asked him how he specifically did something, and Simon told him whatever he thought he was doing, he wasn't. He found a different way to do it altogether to make it easier for himself. I though that was cool. So your own voice comes out of what you can't do as well!

I've been doing that all my life ;)

You can love drums and not love solos. I love hot, spicy food and will add chilli to almost anything. But I know not to eat great spoonfuls of chilli powder straight out of the jar!

Drums to me are the spice in most music. They do things that the other instruments can't do and improve the overall dish in a wonderful way. But on their own - phooey!

And here is Dave zipping up and down in a fancy elevator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1RgwM3VpIM ... as usual in fusion, the musicianship is top notch. Some would say the musicians are like Darth Vader, using their powers for evil rather than good :).

Ok ok, that was the 90s! Who didn't sound like that in the nineties :)!! I remember a
Pat Metheny (!) live recording (Travels I believe) that sounds just as elevator-ish and
smooth jazz (!!) as the Dave Weckl Band may.
The Dave Weckl Band did evolve though, I have all their albums, and if you listen to
the live double album (which is mind-blowing by the way), there is a big difference to
the Back To Basics video link you provided.

By the way, I think you could even call that "pop music" what he played in that video.
Pop music sounded that way then, and Weckl's sound was heavily influenced by that.

Ok ok, that was the 90s! Who didn't sound like that in the nineties :)!! I remember a
Pat Metheny (!) live recording (Travels I believe) that sounds just as elevator-ish and
smooth jazz (!!) as the Dave Weckl Band may.
The Dave Weckl Band did evolve though, I have all their albums, and if you listen to
the live double album (which is mind-blowing by the way), there is a big difference to
the Back To Basics video link you provided.

By the way, I think you could even call that "pop music" what he played in that video.
Pop music sounded that way then, and Weckl's sound was heavily influenced by that.

Nope. That was the late 80s (1986, I think). It was evident in the balloon pants and the mullet. And like most people who have aged since then, we no longer look good wearing sleeve-less shirts.

I blame Dave for the K/Z hats craze and for getting almost college freshman I met back then into 8" and 10" rack toms and trying to use them for everything.

I blame Dave for the K/Z hats craze and for getting almost college freshman I met back then into 8" and 10" rack toms and trying to use them for everything.

Yep, "fusion" sized kit alonside the K/Z combination, I'm still using such a hats (they're lovely) and a 10" rack tom and 12" & 14" floor toms :))

Yep, "fusion" sized kit alonside the K/Z combination, I'm still using such a hats (they're lovely) and a 10" rack tom and 12" & 14" floor toms :))

Yeah, he got all the kids to use 13" floor toms too. You tell me 'floor tom' and I respond with '14x14'. Everyone became so dependent on the sound systems they had to carry around - but this idea came from Gary Chester in his 'New Breed' book - he said everyone should have their own PA system so they can compete with the rest of the band - good advice, but Weckl made everyone dependent!

I do remember the mad rush as everyone in town who had ever thought about playing fusion suddenly had to have a 13" pair of K/Z and a 20" K Custom ride.

I loved the way Weckl sounded with those K/Z hats. I also remember him and Vinnie on the back of Modern Drummer (in their cheesy Christmas sweaters) with a K Custom Ride. However, I was never able to fall into the whole 13/15 floor toms thing. That seemed like a bit much to me and I'm not about to start dragging around my own PA when I can just use larger drums!

I do remember the mad rush as everyone in town who had ever thought about playing fusion suddenly had to have a 13" pair of K/Z and a 20" K Custom ride.

You should have been on the college campuses then. I actually met three guys who each had their very own Dave Weckl Recording Custom kits. I thought it was bad when people started getting black Yamahas in homage to Steve Gadd, but to see guys with mullets and sleeve-less shirts carting around cherry red Yamahas re-defined clone-ism to me back then. I felt like an outsider and wept quietly ;)

I have friends who've admitted that they were the mullet guys in the parking lots of Def Leppard concerts who all have their own kids now. I doubt any of my old friends will admit to being Weckl clones.....

You should have been on the college campuses then. I actually met three guys who each had their very own Dave Weckl Recording Custom kits. I thought it was bad when people started getting black Yamahas in homage to Steve Gadd, but to see guys with mullets and sleeve-less shirts carting around cherry red Yamahas re-defined clone-ism to me back then. I felt like an outsider and wept quietly ;)

Yes, it was like a tornado has gone through the entire world taking most drummers with it, at that time, everything had to be done like Weckl, jazz, fusion, pop, rock, film music, everything, you could not talk to another drummer without having some Weckl bits within the conversation. Now, that's what you call an influencial drummer....

BTW DrumEatDrum, I also have a 20" K Custom ride... OMG, everyone's gonna think I'm a Weckl clone now ;-))

Well, I was working in drum shop that sold all those Yamahas!

True story: for years I lusted after a Yamaha Recording Custom in the red because they sounded great and looks cool (just not in Weckl sizes). But after selling for many Yamaha Recording Customs in red, and watching Weckl's videos & clinics, I just got to the point where the last thing I wanted a Yahama Recording Custom or any drum kit in red for that matter.

Which is what lead my purchase of the Signia's in Topaz. It sounded great, but didn't sound like a Recording Custom.

Well, I was working in drum shop that sold all those Yamahas!

True story: for years I lusted after a Yamaha Recording Custom in the red because they sounded great and looks cool (just not in Weckl sizes). But after selling for many Yamaha Recording Customs in red, and watching Weckl's videos & clinics, I just got to the point where the last thing I wanted a Yahama Recording Custom or any drum kit in red for that matter.

Which is what lead my purchase of the Signia's in Topaz. It sounded great, but didn't sound like a Recording Custom.

Did you at least have the mullet?

;)

Back