Is this kit worth the investment

bearblastbeats

To me, no. Wrong hardware, extra holes, and here's the kicker, the floor tom is out of round. I'm all about fixing and modifying things, not repairing someone elses poor workmanship. An out of round drum is the biggest no no for me.
I'd have to agree, the more I look at it, price up the new hardware. the 50 plus hours i expect to strip, clean, buy new hardware, reassemble and hope it sounds good? I think its a pass this time.

C.M. Jones

I would pass on this one. A deal isn't much of a deal if what I'm getting for my money is flawed. I'd rather spend more on new (or at least intact) equipment than save a few bucks but end up with a lot of work to do or with defective materials beyond repair. I know these are classic shells, but their history seems overshadowed by their condition in this case.

Last edited:
if I found this listing I think I would have been initially excited and would be tempted to jump on it. however, I'd pass on it as well- mainly because the out of round shell. it's a shame someone messed with it so much.

mikyok

Platinum Member
It's a nay from me too, unless you have a orphan 16 floor then I'd be all over it.

Out of round shell is the biggest issue, also those Pearl fittings meant you have some big extra holes in those shells to accomodate those god awful arms.

If it was just the extra hole and you had the parts to do it then go for it. The cost of re-rounding that shell whould be more than the value of the kit.

KamaK

Platinum Member
It would be a no for me as well, mainly because I don't have an oven large enough for the floor tom. How do you intend on getting it to 200ºF?

Lee-Bro

I offered $150, he said at that point he'd strip the hardware himself and resell. I should tell him $150 for shells and original hardware only?
He may have picked it up to be a donor or beater kit himself originally and could be hoping to make more money by selling it as a unit rather than piecing it out. Some people have the tolerance for doing that, others don't.

Let it sit for a few weeks and re-offer the $150.

bearblastbeats

He may have picked it up to be a donor or beater kit himself originally and could be hoping to make more money by selling it as a unit rather than piecing it out. Some people have the tolerance for doing that, others don't.

Let it sit for a few weeks and re-offer the $150.
Yea, he's looking to keep the hardware, lugs and all and do shells only.

What would be a decent offer on shells? I'd have to buy new/used everything.

Lee-Bro

Yea, he's looking to keep the hardware, lugs and all and do shells only.

What would be a decent offer on shells? I'd have to buy new/used everything.
Bare shells w/o hardware? I wouldn't even make the offer. They've been damaged/drilled beyond the worth (to me) of having to go out and buy all the replacement hardware.

hmm... $250 for all of it may be worth it if that's on the table. could actually be a fun project. figure you'd be paying that for just the bass drum and rack tom, but you could use the badge from the 16 for the 12. you could then sell the lugs/hoop/brackets from the 16 and maybe even the shell for cheap if someone is interested. you could then also sell the bass drum legs.

finding a 60's 16x16 Ludwig floor tom to complete the kit at the right price may be a bit tricky.

bearblastbeats

I'm curious how out of round the floor tom is and if a bottom hoop could right it enough to play.

I wasn;t planning on making this a collectors kit, just a new thing to clean up and bang on with the vintage cool factor.

johnwesley

Silver Member
John, you're a man of few words today. You must be saving up for a major treatise. :)
Sometimes brevity is the most effective means of communication. Unfortunately any treatise I might have to share would be removed due to it's having nothing to do with drumming, but rather humanity and world affairs.