is this just a learning curve

mrjones

Ive finally learned this song all the way through and know it by heart but say if i play it 2 or 3 times in a row my right foot will stop cooperating i will miss bass notes and my foot will be really inconsistent. Im 47 and have have been learning i have a little over a year . its just frustrating

Which song?
Don't be frustrated - see the song as a tool (to develop technique, groove, tone...) instead of a goal (nailing it 100% every time). After one year of drumming you don't need to compare yourself to a studio drummer's standards.
If you want to get better at that particular song, slow it down a bit with e.g. Audacity or Amazing Slow Downer. Transcribe it so you don't need to memorize everything. Then work on difficult parts to get them to the same standard at which you play the rest of the song.

It's normal. Either you foot just needs more work or you are overthinking.

Dont overthink stuff. You missed a note, so what? Dont sweat it. Worrying about it will only make it worse.

Ever watch an original band? They write their own stuff and still make mistakes live. Its human nature, we aren't machines.

You say you have the song memorized. That's the first part. Repetition is the next part. Dont feel like you have to drill it all the time. Sometimes a break away from something frustrating is the best thing for it. It's better to come back with a clear head than a frustrated one.

My guess is you're zoning out since you're comfortable with the song. When that happens to me, counting out loud for 4-8 bars can help keep me grounded. It forces you to pay attention to where you're placing each hit on the grid. Don't sweat missing a note here or there though, everyone makes mistakes.

If missing the hits is a technique issue, slowing it down should help you develop a more efficient motion that will help you get them more consistently.

sounds like you also might just be getting tired...I know that as I am working on getting my double bass speed going, my leg muscles will give out after a while...just have to build endurance. i am 51, and have been playing all my life, but only really started trying to improve my double bass in the last 5 years

i remember a point where I could not play The Immigrant Song...or any of Nicko McBrains stuff with one foot. With practice, and some other conditioning (for hockey back then), my legs and core got stronger, and i got better

Sorry ive been working most of the day thanks for all the replies .and to answer one of the questions the song is heading down the highway by judas priest .been working on it for a while its a faster paced song at least for me

And thinking about it by the end of the song my left - snare hand hurts from the death grip i have on the stick and i guess you could say im trying to pit my foot in the kitchen.i need to relax am i right .

Well Im 61 and been playing two years. Don't rush, the whole process takes time. I'm playing tunes now I couldn't have hoped to have played when I started and what its worth I'm a firm believer in just playing some different simple grooves for hours on end builds muscle and that all important steadyness. Chops...whats that? 0.2$

If the beat is solid, an additional note or skipped note is quite organic in playing. Don't hyper-focus. If the beat is changing due to changes in the bass pattern, practice the song with just bass & snare and pay attention to when & where it falls apart.

Last edited:
If you name the song or give an approximate BPM, it may help the discussion. Heavy metal songs are very different than others. Edit: missed your post from a couple minutes ago.

Can you keep a steady bass drum beat for 30 minutes at 90 bpm (one hit per metronome beep)?

Can you jog for 20 minutes? (For general endurance level)

Are you hitting the drum very hard, etc. Could you be using shin muscles rather than calf muscles? Are you moving your whole leg? There are many YouTube videos on bass drum technique. You may be using an inefficient technique but I’m just guessing here.
No im using whole leg i think i need to relax im kicking tk hard and i get tense also

yeah...definitely gripping too hard, and possibly hitting the bass too hard...there should be a slight rebound off the drum with every stroke...and witht he bass, it is fine to leave the beater on the head, but if you feel you are pushing through the head, that is probably too much

Back