Is this for real?

With those heads, that miking and that EQ arrangement, I'm sure they do. I have Renown Maple that sound good but never like that since I've never had them recorded like that. Try Youtube.

With those heads, that miking and that EQ arrangement, I'm sure they do. I have Renown Maple that sound good but never like that since I've never had them recorded like that. Try Youtube.

LOL my thoughts exactry when I first heard it. I feel like any set can sound amazing online. I had really wanted a PDP concept maple or Gretsch catalina until I heard them in person recently. Albeit they were floor models at my local GC but was still completely underwhelmed compared to the videos online. Sigh... did find a decent deal in used renowns that I might go for tho...

Albeit they were floor models at my local GC but was still completely underwhelmed compared to the videos online. Sigh... did find a decent deal in used renowns that I might go for tho...

The Renown is a very good used kit to buy. You can usually find 2010' era kits in the GC used inventory for $800-$900, and they are a remarkable value. I would have trouble justifying $1800 for a new one though.

Sound wise, the Renown does a fairly good job at mimicking a USA Custom. My maple records extremely well.

If you do end up looking for a used Renown, understand a couple things first:

1: The early 2000' era kits usually come with a 14" mounted floor tom
2: If you get a 2010' era kit, it's worthwhile to upgrade the mounts.
3: If you get a discontinued finish, option toms can be hard to come by.

Last edited:
Saw this on modern drummer today. If the birch renowns really do sound like that I'm going to run to MF right now and order me a set.

Never heard the renowns in person (guess they don't set up high end kits at my local GC), let alone birch renown. Is this for real or uber fancy miking?

http://www.moderndrummer.com/site/2015/05/video-demo-gretsch-renown-birch-and-walnut-drumsets/

Processed recording.

Here's Gretsch's own recording (still processed) sounding utterly different https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2g9eqSC_p0

I don't think either kit sounded particularly good. Modern Drummer's walnut kit sounded the best a high tuning, though.

Gretsch's video sounded, meh!

Go listen to them in person!!

After recently watching how to mic/eq drums.. i have zero faith in the world in general.. nothing is real :)

You need to listen to them in person if possible. Heck, even listening to them in a concert setting is better than a youtube video. When I got my Sonor Bop kit it sounded NOTHING like the YouTube. You just have to be careful.

Back