Is this a good deal for an LM400?

SoupCanSham

Guy on the local craigslist posted a bunch of snares, and I believe one is a vintage 5x14" Supra. It's got some pitting by his description, but he calls it a "Keystone Badge Ludwig." It's clearly got Imperial lugs. He's asking $150.

I don't know if I am allowed to post the link but there are no closeups. We'll see if I meet up with the guy.

You can post links here mate.

That aside, if there are no close ups then pics won't be of much use anyway. Unless the thing is in really bad shape, then $150 is deemed to be a pretty fair price in the States I believe.

If it is not beat up or out of round, $150 is a good price for that drum. Vintage Acros can go for that.

I'd say yes, even with some pitting. My near-immaculate 6.5 Supra (B/O badge from 1979) cost me $450. A 5x14 would fetch a little less. $150 is a steal - sometimes Acrolites goes for much more than that too.

A keystone badge supra could mean a very wide range of dums,from the 60's to 1970.,then from 85 till present day.Condition is everything,as supras are known for "supra acne" type pitting.Originality also plays a role,so extra holes and non-original hardware will also devalue a drum.

Post pics or we're just shooting in the dark.

Steve B

I scored a 60's Acro shell from a very delightful local drummer and fellow gear nut. It has 4 holes drilled and came with no hardware or even a badge.

Only cost me $15 though. Need to get some hardware ordered.

Did the 60's acros come with a clear coat?

Production run drums were anodized with a thin clear coat.I'm not sure if all 60's acros had that,but my 65 vintage one does.

Steve B

As Steve B said, 'keystone badge' still leaves a lot unknown. The drum is probably worth no less than $150, unless its in poorer shape than stated. If its a 1980's-2000 keystone badge model with pitting, then that's about what its worth. Its probably no newer than 2000 if its pitted, so its probably not a real recent keystone badge model. If its a 1960's keystone in good shape, its probably worth $250 +/-. If it would happen to have a chrome over brass shell, it could be worth more, but I don't think it would be pitted with a brass shell.

Just remember this: there are always tons of these for sale. Don't feel like this is the one you have to buy. If you look at it, and are not sure, then pass. There's another one to buy. I have bought and sold a few of these over the years. I bought one a couple of years ago on CL for $100. It was a 1980's keystone that the guy used for teaching. He's now running a pizza shop and just wanted to get rid of it. It has zero pitting. It just needed some clean-up. I also changed the heads, snare and strainer (my preferences) and I have really nice Supra.

Thanks for all of the input, folks. The guy never emailed me back so I didn't stress it. I've already got a 6.5 Supra, so it'd be for vanity to get a 5. I won't sweat it because I also like the dryness of Acros and I can pick one of those up if I ever want to. They're everywhere!

Back