Is there such thing as over doing it when you have good technique?

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
Over the last week I have been playing on the kit for about 10 hours a day. Mostly jazz recordings then with a pop/soul band at night. I recently had my tendonitis cured after two years ( by the magic of accupuncture). But like 3 days after, I had another small problem with the other side of my wrist. Now, I felt pain on, say, a tuesday. But I needed to get recordings done for a deadline, so I kept playing until, say, that saturday. Now I'm off playing for about 4 days or so because after another accupuncture treatment, it brought out the bad energy in the area, meaning that it hurts like 10 times more than it did over the last few days. So, I now NEED to stop until better. My golden rule was to stop when any pain, but this week i simpley couldnt.

Now, I don't know how the injury happened in the first place, I have good technique, and I do make sure to warm up. I hear of guys practicing that amount everyday saying, " I did that for years when I was younger". So an injury shouldnt occur when practicing even for that length of time? People are telling me that i over-do it, but i do it all safely.

But with even the best technique and whatever, is getting a small injury while practicing that amount a bad thing, or does it just happen?

I suppose I could have taken a few more breaks though, in about 5 hours playing I would take one 10min break and one other 10min break

zambizzi

Platinum Member
In my opinion, acupuncture is a bunch of hooey. Your post only confirms this, for me. Maybe look into something that worked for me, which is what is now called ASTYM. The Chinese called it Gua Sha. By using a hard edge to scrape the painful areas, laterally, you induce inflammation and force the blood to flow properly. You stretch (gently) to help speed the healing process. It feels good and you can get right back to drumming just as much as you want. Only stop if it hurts.

I went through tendonitis pain for two years, this is what kept me playing during that time. Immediate results...and you're *encouraged* to be active while doing it.

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
In my opinion, acupuncture is a bunch of hooey. Your post only confirms this, for me. Maybe look into something that worked for me, which is what is now called ASTYM. The Chinese called it Gua Sha. By using a hard edge to scrape the painful areas, laterally, you induce inflammation and force the blood to flow properly. You stretch (gently) to help speed the healing process. It feels good and you can get right back to drumming just as much as you want. Only stop if it hurts.

I went through tendonitis pain for two years, this is what kept me playing during that time. Immediate results...and you're *encouraged* to be active while doing it.
Maybe I wasn't clear in my post. This is an unrelated injury to a different area, not really involving tendons. I tried everything over the past two years. A month or accupuncture treatments along with something called "moxa" and other things to move the energy and it worked. There are many different types of acupuncture and my brother only believes in the one chinese method. Either way i think they all envolve treating the body as a whole to get results, which is right. I have even had hangovers cured from it, and I can't say enough about how much pain his patients were in before even two treatments, now all gone! I was the same as you until he actually got good at it and could cure people. I got treatments like what your suggesting, and although it helped, it all came back because it didnt treat my body as a whole.

Just remembering it, i had neck pain for two days before this small injury, and I believe that they are related. But if that worked for you its great! :)

drumhammerer

Silver Member
playing 10 hours a day is never a good idea IMO, especially if you've had tendonitis, which was likely caused by playing that long in the first place. Drumming is just so physical that it's easy to injur yourself, and once you do, you'll never be the same. You're gonna have to stop that playing for hours a day thing, unless of course you like pain, or wanna be permanently disabled, and unable to play at all. I know a couple of people that can't play at all any more because of severe tendonitis.

N

nhzoso

I would think taking 10 minute break every hour or so would be a good thing. I try to do it. I cannot imagine playing 5hrs with 2 10 min breaks. Not even pro's do that?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Having good technique doesn't eliminate fatigue or the possibility of repetitive stress injuries if you're playing up to 10 solid hours a day. What kind of gig or session requires that? I've been playing professionally for over 35 years and I don't ever recall having to sit behind the kit for more than 3½ hours (for those 'all night' gigs) and only 45 min at a time before taking a break. Everybody needs a break, good technique or not. Life itself needs a break, that's why we sleep at least 25% of the time.

I hope you're getting paid well, and that all your body parts heal quickly.

Bermuda

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
I hope you're getting paid well, and that all your body parts heal quickly.

Bermuda
I'm doing this much playing to get recordings done for college. So even when practicing, I would be behind the kit a long time, but not "giving it my all" for lengthy periods of time like I was recently.

Practicing 5 hours learning songs and getting them recorded is hard. But practicing for 5 hours, learning new stuff? I can't see anyone being able to do that without passing out, not from physical pressure, but mental concentration!
So from now on, I won't be doing this much at all.
The pain is at the outside of the wrist, around the underside of it, probably from all the up tempo ride playing. Although good technique, that much flexing can't be good.

It was just a bit of a stressful week, can't see myself doing this again, especially since I got another injury doing everything "right" in a sense.
Everytime I'm practicing for a lengthy amount of time, it will be 15min break every 60mins.

Hopefully that will prevent this, and doing jojo mayer's hand clapping exercise! :)