Is there such a thing as a dry ping ride?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I’m looking for a ride with a clear, high-pitched ping, and very little wash. What wash there is should be mid-range, or mid/high range. Any ideas? Does this even exist in nature? Lol

I’m looking for a ride with a clear, high-pitched ping, and very little wash. What wash there is should be mid-range, or mid/high range. Any ideas? Does this even exist in nature? Lol
AAXmetal ride will put hells bells to shame - mine weighs at 3106 grams, it’s a heavy weight. The bell ping is clear and cutting, think Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson.
I stopped drumming about an hour ago and it’s still ringing... I actually have a gel pad about an inch from the bells edge to dampen it.
Hit that thing on the edge and it’s clanging not crashing.F78BCA57-4865-48C9-8140-352C9AC90114.jpeg

Most ping rides are in the medium-heavy to heavy range. As a cymbal's weight increases, its stick definition usually follows suite. A dominant frequency often emerges, enhancing cut and reducing wash. To dry the cymbal, a strip of tape can perhaps be applied inconspicuously to its underside.

Most ping rides are in the medium-heavy to heavy range. As a cymbal's weight increases, its stick definition usually follows suite. A dominant frequency often emerges, enhancing cut and reducing wash. To dry the cymbal, a strip of tape can perhaps be applied inconspicuously to its underside.

So essentially, I should get a ping ride and put some gaff tape on it? I never thought about that. I actually like the ride I have, it’s just too washy. I’ll try the gaff tape.

So essentially, I should get a ping ride and put some gaff tape on it? I never thought about that. I actually like the ride I have, it’s just too washy. I’ll try the gaff tape.

You can certainly test it with tape. It's easy enough to remove if you dislike it. The tape won't convert a non-ping ride into a ping ride, but it will enhance the cymbal's focus a bit.

I prefer more definition and less wash from my ride as well. Clear, succinct notes just pack more punch in my opinion. They stand out better in the overall mix.

I feel like my musical choices about how I’m playing the emphasis and amount of swing are not getting across if there’s a bunch of wash. Plus, the other players will have more trouble staying in time if they can’t hear my ping because of all the excessive wash.

I don't know anyone who would consider a ping ride excessively washy-- quite the opposite. I think if your guys are not hearing it it's because they're not listening. Dry cymbals generally don't have great projection though.

I have a 1983 Zildjian 20" Ping Ride that's medium-heavy to heavy in weight. Little in the way of wash, with a great bell sound. The shape is a high profile attributing to its high pitched sound. Neil Peart used a 22" and Liberty Devitto used a 20" back in the late-1970's and 1980's. Louis Bellson even used one in a Big Band setting, so there is some degree of versatility to be had.

I'd suggest one of two zidjians. The 18" Uptown or the 20" K custom dry. Both give excellent stick definition with minimal wash. But as stated above you'll lose volume.

I was going to say K Custom Dry Ride. To me, the Uptown and KC Dry are totally different. The Uptown is about 1700g while the KC Dry swells to upwards of 3000g and has much better projection. The older Zildjian A Earth ride is similar.

Sounds like you're looking for this:

zildjian-k-custom-ride-20-42247.jpg

Funny, I used to absolutely hate wash and want as much ping as possible; now I think I'm starting to go in the opposite direction.

LOL yeah years back was had the exact same. The ride couldn't be pingy and heavy enough for me. 10-15 years ago a Paiste 2002 Heavy Ride or a Sabian HH Rock Ride would be the perfect ride, but these day i drool over a Paiste Traditional Light Ride or a Meinl Byzance Jazz Ride

Back