Is there anywhere I can buy drumsticks wholesale?

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I'm so tired of spending so much for drum sticks, and always having them break and rebuying them. I use only one drum stick, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon. Vic Firth Freestyle 85a. Is there anywhere where I can buy like 50 pairs of these or something discounted? I've looked on eBay but they don't sell the exact ones I'm looking for

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I'd call a big retailer like Sweetwater or Interstate Music and ask if they'd offer an additional discount on that big of a purchase. I get emails all the time about 20% off $250+ from Interstate so it's worth a try.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I know you don't want to change brand, but Vater makes an excellent low cost drum stick. Goodwood is what they're called and I'll tell you they are the BEST sticks I've ever used. They just don't break or splinter. I can get pretty rough on sticks and a pair lasts me close to a month. Oh they wear down by then but just don't break like other big name sticks I've used. Best part is you can get 6 pair for 19.99 with free shipping from Sweetwater. They also are listed on ebay.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Would this be a good time to bring up technique? Are they breaking too often on you? If that's the case, wouldn't this be a case of matching the correct stick to the style you play? I tend to buy a brick (12 pairs) of Vic Firth 5A wood tips and that lasts me over a year of heavy, out four times a week, playing. Longer if I'm playing less. I hardly ever break sticks - they just wear down so much they become feathered and useless. The last time I actually broke a stick was years ago. So if you're breaking them, could there be something not happening in the correct way?

Otherwise, I'm sure there are cheaper sticks out there, but I have found that some no-name sticks just don't have the same quality and end up breaking sooner than the big name-brand sticks, so it's a false economy - you get them cheap, but you end up buying more!

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
Would this be a good time to bring up technique? Are they breaking too often on you? If that's the case, wouldn't this be a case of matching the correct stick to the style you play? I tend to buy a brick (12 pairs) of Vic Firth 5A wood tips and that lasts me over a year of heavy, out four times a week, playing. Longer if I'm playing less. I hardly ever break sticks - they just wear down so much they become feathered and useless. The last time I actually broke a stick was years ago. So if you're breaking them, could there be something not happening in the correct way?

Otherwise, I'm sure there are cheaper sticks out there, but I have found that some no-name sticks just don't have the same quality and end up breaking sooner than the big name-brand sticks, so it's a false economy - you get them cheap, but you end up buying more!
it’s not really an issue of heavy hitting. I just play tons of rimshots. Even in fills if I hit the snare and it’s not a ghost note, it’s a rimshot. I could play less rimshots I suppose, but I’d rather buy a bunch of sticks wholesale

im really not upset about breaking sticks, I’m just annoyed with having to reorder so many each month. I don’t leave close to any music stores, so if I don’t buy enough sticks online and I break them all, I’ve got nothing to play with

mikyok

Platinum Member
I use a company called Pellwood, you buy bulk when ordering your sticks. £17.50 for a brick of 4 pairs. Great sticks, for an extra one off £25 they'll do you custom sticks. I've order 4 bricks this week which will last me a couple of years, I don't snap sticks just wear them out from playing hats and rim shots.

Been using them for well over a decade, saved me a fortune. Not sure if they've got a rep in the US. Based in Czech Republic.

Failing that there will be a similar company in the US for sure.

Lee-Bro

I know you don't want to change brand, but Vater makes an excellent low cost drum stick. Goodwood is what they're called and I'll tell you they are the BEST sticks I've ever used. They just don't break or splinter. I can get pretty rough on sticks and a pair lasts me close to a month. Oh they wear down by then but just don't break like other big name sticks I've used. Best part is you can get 6 pair for 19.99 with free shipping from Sweetwater. They also are listed on ebay.
Thanks for the tip (no pun intended). I just picked up 12 pair of 5B Nylon for $34 (after Rakuten cash back, GC discount, and tax) from Guitar Center online.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Thanks for the tip (no pun intended). I just picked up 12 pair of 5B Nylon for $34 (after Rakuten cash back, GC discount, and tax) from Guitar Center online.
Good job buddy.I usually by the 12 pack of GoodWood 5a nylon tips for 39.99 with free shipping. Still a great deal. Back in the 60s drumsticks cost me a buck a pair!!!!

danondrums

Bumped and following.
I too have a specific stick that gets the most use (Dave Weckl Evolution) and I go through 2 pairs/month would be my guess. I'd buy a year's worth at a time if I could save 20-25% or so. I don't break them, I'm just playing a lot and the acorn tip eventually just wears way down and the stick doesn't play the same.

http://instagr.am/p/B3ALIZjALu8/

danondrums

Wow, that's crazy how much it's worn down without cracking or chipping at all. Looks like a completely different stick.
I was pretty impressed when I stopped to take notice. They still work fine, I just tend to lose faith in them after a couple of weeks.
That being said, I've been playing 40+ hours/week for 5 months now so I'd say my average stick gets me 80-100 hours of use which isn't bad.

TJK

I was pretty impressed when I stopped to take notice. They still work fine, I just tend to lose faith in them after a couple of weeks.
That being said, I've been playing 40+ hours/week for 5 months now so I'd say my average stick gets me 80-100 hours of use which isn't bad.
That’s a damn good stick to wear like that and not chip the tip. That or your technique is impeccable 🧐

danondrums

That’s a damn good stick to wear like that and not chip the tip. That or your technique is impeccable 🧐
I chipped a lot more tips 7 months ago before this practicing mission, so I don't know if impeccable applies, but definitely improved. :)
I actually think it's the ride cymbal slowly denting it over time. I've been on the ride cymbal a lot.

Reactions: TJK

Jbravo

I’m not posting to be disagreeable, but my experience with Goodwood was different- I think I tried three different sizes. I didn’t break any but I did have issues with the tips chipping.

When l first returned to drumming a few years back I tried the goodwood. First I tried the nylon tip because I always used regal tips back in the seventies. It didn’t take long to discover I prefer wood tips.

I bought some wood tips and had problems with the tips chipping. I have never had this problem with the brand names. I play sticks for a long time, and the only place they wear is at the shoulder from the hats, and denting in the middle from rim shots.

I think I’ve still got two or three almost complete bricks of theses in the basement somewhere... if anyone’s interested, I’d see exactly what I have, and sell them for two bucks a pair plus shipping cost, or maybe trade for something....

danondrums

So do you toss them out when they look like this? Maybe I'm just cheap but they still look fine to me. My favorite stick is the Promark Joe Morello and they don't make it anymore, so I'm holding on to them even if they feel a bit funny at times. But I think they are still usable and I like the mellow sound of the worn down tip. :)
View attachment 88694
Nah, those in my picture are still good for practicing.
The bottom three sticks in your picture are impressively worn.
None of mine will make it that far.