Is there a secret to a no wobble throne?

Wibbly Wobbly

Hi, I’ve owned and tried many thrones from cheap to expensive and they all wobble! Is there a way to stop the wobble? I’ve used rectangular shaped keyboard benches that don’t wobble but are not ideal. I currently own a Sonor 4000 series that I like bc it’s light and simple and has a round seat but it wobbles terribly, I also own an expensive Tama 1rst Chair that also wobbles albeit a little less but it has a bike seat and I need a round seat. I’ve scoured the internet for solutions but haven’t found any real advise other that duct tape (doesn’t work) or spot welding (not gonna do that). I may try a lab stool ... or maybe, hopefully one of you here will devulge the no wobble secret!

Hi, I’ve owned and tried many thrones from cheap to expensive and they all wobble!

As you've experienced this with a variety of thrones, maybe it's how you are sitting? If your center mass is too far forward and off center to the seat, that could create wobble. Especially with busy legs - double pedal, etc.

Like you, I've tried all kinds of thrones. My go-to is the Yamaha DS750. Great balance between weight, comfort and durability.

I’ve owned Gibraltar and Tama. The Gibraltar seat clam broke three times, was replaced three times under warranty, and wobbled only when the clamp broke.

My Tama throne has never wobbled. And I use a hydraulic.

I’ve owned Gibraltar and Tama. The Gibraltar seat clam broke three times, was replaced three times under warranty, and wobbled only when the clamp broke.

Weird. I used one for a long time. Was it the screws, nuts, or metal clamp piece that failed?

I wonder if weight of user makes a difference?

Define “wobble”.

I think the generic definition "an unsteady movement from side to side" is pretty suitable here.

Most thrones handle radial and axial loads pretty well. It's often that play is felt when a moment-load is applied. Engineering away the issue, would require the implementation of an expensive type of bearing, like the ones big cranes use.

The Pork Pie manual height adjusting throne has a very good clamp. No wobble here. I've used this throne for so long I honestly can't remember what I owned before it.

q0wdvlwvpvu2cdf3poif.jpg

Last edited:
I used a Pearl Speed seat for years, still got it, cheap and not the most comfy but it gets the job done.

Upgraded to a Ludwig Atlas throne, far more comfy.

Never had wobble on either and I'm a fairly big bloke

Same here. My hydraulic DW Airlift has no (noticeable) wobble like the corkscrew ones do. But the disadvantage of a hydraulic throne is they have no option to not swivel. And swivel forces at least one of your heels to stay down. I've been twisted by my throne and knocked off balance because my feet were playing a pattern that removed a source for anchor. This created a source for anger.

I think the generic definition "an unsteady movement from side to side" is pretty suitable here.

Most thrones handle radial and axial loads pretty well. It's often that play is felt when a moment-load is applied. Engineering away the issue, would require the implementation of an expensive type of bearing, like the ones big cranes use.
The OP needs to state what is wobbling. Until then we have no idea what the problem is.

The Pork Pie manual height adjusting throne has a very good clamp. No wobble here. I've used this throne for so long I honestly can't remember what I owned before it.

q0wdvlwvpvu2cdf3poif.jpg
I have two of these but have had the casting break between the socket and the first screw on two separate occasions -never noticed a wobble though:unsure:

I'll be the one to state that the no wobble part is the secret to the no wobble throne

:)

Back