Is there a right way to play the drumset?

Shoot...I'm just looking to play my drumset!!! Been on order for 3 months and due in couple weeks (Fingers crossed). I already have my new snare and cymbals set up.
Back to your ?. I would think any way that makes you feel comfortable without over exerting yourself after long periods of play. IMO, even the technique masters all play differently although their technique is similar.

Steve

I would say a preferred way as compared to a right way. I have mentioned on this forum before that Mark Spitz , 7 time gold medalist, has terrible butterfly stroke according to the experts, but who was going to tell him. He never lost. If you are talking about musically, then yes play to the music or to what was written. If there were A Right Way, we would all sound alike. Not good

I'm not sure about the RIGHT way but here are a couple of WRONG ways...just for reference...

Attachments

HAHA Mary, to coin a phrase from one of my buddies, " I just threw up in my mouth"!

There is a right way and a left way. Depends on how you set it up.

Haha, good question. I imagine there are several right ways. I haven't learned them yet, but every day I discover new wrong ways to play!

Sure, there must be thousands of right ways to play the drumset. A single right way? No.

It would sound dumb to say, no, there is no right way to play a drumset. So the answer must be yes. But Vin's questions can be very philosophical, and usually are larger than face value would have you think. Why do you ask Vin?

Sure, there must be thousands of right ways to play the drumset. A single right way? No.

It would sound dumb to say, no, there is no right way to play a drumset. So the answer must be yes. But Vin's questions can be very philosophical, and usually are larger than face value would have you think. Why do you ask Vin?

Because today, with easy access to information, knowledge, technique videos, drum videos, books, skype lessons, youtube videos, and indeed online drum forums shows, we can learn very quickly how something should be played. The learning curve is astoundingly fast.

But then we all know that music is more than that.

Last edited:
I believe an emphasis on avoiding the "wrong way" can be beneficial to learn. When I say "wrong way" I'm generally referring to technique (or the lack of it) interacts with our bodies. Look at Phil Collins- brilliant musician both on and off the drums but had a technique that has rendered him basically unable to play the drums again. So the wrong way would be a way that damages your body.

As far as 'wrong way' musically, I would say if your playing detracted from the music instead of contributed to it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Mary and Jeremy seem to have this one covered!

The evidence is in. All the fantastic drummers throughout history with different styles. There are many right ways, though some ways are more efficient than others (hmm, sounds Orwellian)

According to Peter Erskine: "As long as you're not doing something that hurts yourself."

If you go with Marys second method you will need one of these.

Attachments

• CIMG1182.JPG
    CIMG1182.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 205
I don't know a great deal about playing the right way, but I can demonstrate for hours about the wrong way :)

What's wrong with running through rudiments during your morning routine on the toilet? Growing up with stomach problems I used to bring my practice pad into the john with me and practice independent finger exercises.

I still run through patterns with my hands and feet sitting there lol

In my opinion, No. There is no Correct way. But there is a way to play with Right hand lead, which as right handers seem to be the mass, it has become the "standard" i guess? lol...but then you got open handed players and lefties that play with "right handed" set ups...

I think there is correct movements to make though. For instance proper posture. And like stated before, if it doesn't hurt you, then your doing it right.

hmm I suppose if you are enjoying what you are playing, then you are playing your drum set the "right" way lol...

Back