Is there a Pearl sound?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Obviously there is an identifiable Sonor phonic sound on recordings but is there a Recording where you say ya..thats Pearl?. Not just that you know it's a Pearl endorser thus you equate that with the sound but a straight up recognizable Pearl sound. I've been listening to the fills in Africa as well as Rosanna and in my mind it SO sounds like Pearl kits I've heard in drumshops. Am I crazy?.

Gretsch has a sound.

Ludwig has a sound.

Not that I know how all kits sound, (especially Sonor) but these two are the only ones I can think of that have a clearly identifiable sound.

It's a great question, but IMO the Pearl tone is not unique. I don't think I could pick it out.

On DVD...when watching Jeff Porcaro..Dennis Chambers and Omar Hakim all of their Pearl kits have a very similar plastic type slap..thud that connects them all. Even though I was made aware that Jeff used recording customs on Toto IV the recorded sound very much mimics all of the sounds on the mentioned dvd's. Also when Huey Lewis drummer changed from Sonor phonic to Yamaha recording I could actually detect that R.C.sound on the recording which was sooo different from the phonic recordings. Bill Gibson.

"Friends" (Chick Corea Quartet) was too. 4 closed Pearl small toms; Gretsch bass..that set you speak of was. (I saw him on that set in a jazz bar in 76)

Maybe (I'd) look to some of the symphonic Pearl snare (they had a series didn't they?) for some discernible yamatamapearl ooops, Pearl sound.
MIJ gonna be mij ; imitative of the established rogers slingerland ludwig gretsch premier sonor brands of the day - a blend- so no where- and MIJ really haven't changed in many ways since the mid late 60s mij days Torodor I see it that way. imitative with some exceptions i'd hope.
The draw of later MIJ and why they took such a large swath of the market was (like their cars) reliability in stands and price sound remains derivative. They have a Supra for pete's sake and a large market that prefers the Pearl version.
When confronted with this deriative-ness (continuing the car analogy) a Lexus exec in 1989 said (translated)
"imitation sincerest form of flattery"

Last edited:
Gadd used Pearl Fiberglass ( 100 % , not wood-FB ) toms early on . Those shells have an identifiable growl . Stix Hooper( Jazz Crusaders) and many others used them as well. Pearl FG's were a prefferred brand among LA/Nashville producers and engineers throughout the seventies. Pearl wood shells took over for another decade or so .

Last edited:
"Friends" (Chick Corea Quartet) was too. 4 closed Pearl small toms; Gretsch bass..that set you speak of was. (I saw him on that set in a jazz bar in 76)

Maybe (I'd) look to some of the symphonic Pearl snare (they had a series didn't they?) for some discernible yamatamapearl ooops, Pearl sound.
MIJ gonna be mij ; imitative of the established rogers slingerland ludwig gretsch premier sonor brands of the day - a blend- so no where- and MIJ really haven't changed in many ways since the mid late 60s mij days Torodor I see it that way. imitative with some exceptions i'd hope.
The draw of later MIJ and why they took such a large swath of the market was (like their cars) reliability in stands and price sound remains derivative. They have a Supra for pete's sake and a large market that prefers the Pearl version.
When confronted with this deriative-ness (continuing the car analogy) a Lexus exec in 1989 said (translated)
"imitation sincerest form of flattery"
After all these years I thought Gadd played a Ludwig kit on that album because there’s a picture of him with some Ludwig’s on the back. My world is askew.

Reactions: jda
No.
I also think we can never be positive of the exact drums used on a recording without interviews of the drummer. Sometimes drummers don't even recall either.

example: One would have thought Simon Kirke used his Ludwigs or Haymans on Free of Bad Company records, but interviews later revealed all were orphaned Gretsch in studio.

Last edited:
I've often wondered this myself. Like guitarists can identify Strats or Les Paul's on recordings.

To my wax filled, tinnitus ringing, uneducated ears some drums sound better than others but I can't tell, by listening, Ludwigs from CB700s.

To be honest I can't tell Zildjians from Paistes or Vic Firths from Promarks either though.

After all these years I thought Gadd played a Ludwig kit on that album because there’s a picture of him with some Ludwig’s on the back. My world is askew.
pert-near sure- that on the back cover of "Friends" is da Pearl hybrid/ set..
Pretty sure are you sure?

the Pearl had badges didn't it
concert tom badge
for having to dig thru my old Lp stack and snap these pics I will not dock you.

pearl 016.JPG
pearl 017.JPG

pearl 018.JPGpearl 019.JPG

See the close lug and the rectangle I see? -->
those were used those years Like the time I saw in Boston at the Jazz Workshop with them and Mike Manieri and Tony Levin, Steps. pert-sure of the album cover _ > visual +/-

Last edited:
Reactions: jda
Pearl sound? Not really.......but then again I have seen and heard enough people making a Ludwig sound like.a Gretsch or Starclassic that sound like Yamaha RCs etc. that I am more convinced now that only in certain specific tuning extremes does a certain kit type do something so specific as to be uniquely "theirs"......

The latest Pearl Masters marketing video.....they sound good......but that could be a high end Mapex video, or TAMA Starclassic/Star video etc. if you close your eyes......

IDK. I don't really think most drums, tuned and recorded the way most people record, are identifiable by brand. Heresy, I know.

For example, Gretsch kits, to me, have an identifiable sound when tuned in a jazz range. I think it's mostly due to the hoops, but that's just a guess. The important part is, when you tune them like "rock" drums, they sound like many other kits.

I can hear the super-heavy Sonor shells on some recordings, and I can also pick out old wide-bearing edge vintage drums, too. In some cases. Some. Usually, though, there are too many variables to say it's this brand or that brand.

Last edited:
I'm not sure there's a Tama sound and I owned two bought new..

In terms of snares, maybe I’d give it to the brass free float piccolo for Pearl or maybe the older Exports. They imitated both RCs and Gretsch formula before, I’m not sure what their legacy line is.

you mean Gretsch copy? Or close (as starclassic since 1994) derivative to it. Most MIJ rep is reliability stuff rarely if ever 'strips..
I give them that and that's a good deal. (and also for inventing the little handle cable down by the driver's seat to remotely open the trunk.. 'boot'.
(hardware)

Last edited:
Back