Is the Mapex Mars series a good set?

beeter

I had this on my wishlist prior to finding a Tama Rockstar used. Looks like a decent kit, especially for $299. Guitar center offers it for that price sometimes.

IBitePrettyHard

Used is usually the best option for people on a budget, but if we're talking strictly new kits, I'd always recommend the Yamaha Stage Custom at $650.

BUT a Mapex Mars for $300? That's hard to argue with. If you can't find a better used kit for this price, or don't have the budget for a Stage Custom, GET IT!

popelife

I realise that is a good price, but having had a Mars for 24 hrs before returning it, I recommend you look for something, ANYTHING, secondhand for the same money. Very poor hardware and finishes on the Mars kits. Sorry Mapex.

IBitePrettyHard

I realise that is a good price, but having had a Mars for 24 hrs before returning it, I recommend you look for something, ANYTHING, secondhand for the same money. Very poor hardware and finishes on the Mars kits. Sorry Mapex.
I agree with that 100%.....if we're talking about paying the full retail price of $600.

But at $300? That's $100 less than a Breakbeats kit!

popelife

Fair point. But for me, the Mars is disappointing at any price. I wouldn't want a free one even. Life is too short and storage space is too tight to devote it to drums I don't like. And I don't think I'm snobby about drums, there are "cheap" kits around that Im very happy to play (before you ask, none of them were available in the sizes I wanted). I'm really trying not to dump on the Mars, so you'll have to read between the lines. Sorry Mapex. Your more expensive drums are nice.

There is an obvious solution for the OP of course, and that is, find a music store, go and look at a Mapex Mars, and compare it with other kits in a similar price bracket. Which is precisely what I didn't do - I made a snap decision based on internet reviews :rolleyes:. And yes, based on price as well - I was looking for a small cheap kit, with specific sizes (18, 10, 14), that I could schlep to dirty little gigs without worrying about what might happen to it. What I got was a cheap kit I didn't want to play. But others' mileage may vary.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Keep in mind that those First Act kits from Costco, etc. are made by the same company that makes Mapex. Just sayin'......

popelife

I think I’ve dumped enough on this set. As you point out, it’s subjective. So best thing is to go and have a look yourself.