Is Ringo a good drummer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icetech

Gold Member
I have a friend that HATES Ringo.. i bring up ringo just to piss him off... i personally love the guy.. watched his last live dvd a couple of nights ago and i would see him live.. seems to enjoy playing and does it for fun. which is great to see..

My buddy that hates ringo has the standard drummer hardon for bonham which i don't get myself... i would rather listen to bill ward any day of the week...

gaz farrimond

Is Ringo any good?

Forefront of popular music at the time.
Has made more money than creosote. (Some will get that)
Single handedly made Ludwig the 'must have' kit in Europe.

I've never understood why these questions come up. Ringo was a beast of his time, when drummers were there to provide a rhythm for people to dance to in coffee shops and ice cream parlours at lunch time.

I find the 'Ringo' question similar to people saying 'Angus Young, any good?'

One thing I've found in this business, prior to those three S.A.W. clowns employing 'A. Linn' on drums: Is that when it comes to success, the band who writes three or four chord catchy tunes are usually far more financially successful than the technically competent virtuoso's who can noodle epic opus' till the cows come home.

Ringo, did the job and did it well enough for people to start comparing themselves to him. Because if we didn't compare to, and feel we are 'better' than, people like Ringo these questions would never arise.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
My buddy that hates ringo has the standard drummer hardon for bonham which i don't get myself...
I think it's because he's taller and his shoulders offer a better view or something like that.

Because if we didn't compare to, and feel we are 'better' than, people like Ringo these questions would never arise.
Possibly. But then again it's possible they wouldn't arise if Bon wasn't bored out of his wits today too.

Last edited:

gaz farrimond

Possibly. But then again it's possible they wouldn't arise if Bon wasn't bored out of his wits today too.

True, but we can wax lyrical for hours on how some real icons of the industry would look on todays 'music business'.

I know it's not that long ago since he passed, but I wonder what Pete Wells would think of Australia's Eurovision entry!!!

Australia in Eurovision, and in my old life, back in the UK we complained about anything East of Poland being involved.......

Drumsinhisheart

Silver Member
I think he is. What makes him great is his creativity. Did it all come from him? From what I've heard, he wasn't even the best drummer in the Beatles.

Just kidding, this forum is so dull and boring now. You deserve this thread.
Wouldn't a definition of 'good drummer' be appropriate?

If nothing else he was a great entertainer. Caused me to run to the kitchen for the coffee cans and pencils when I was 9, watching Ed Sullivan.

He influenced so many kids. He influenced sound, with the whole dead drum/towel thing. He certainly played with energy and had pretty quick hands when you watch the old films of their early concerts.

I suppose "good" in today's drumming vocabulary might not be the same "good" that existed in the early 60s?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I've often wondered, who were the drumming influence Ringo learned from?
I don't recall reading that much info on the subject.

He was also influenced by country artists, including Hank Williams, Buck Owens and Hank Snow, and jazz drummers such as Chico Hamilton and Yusef Lateef, whose compositional style inspired Starr's fluid and energetic drum fills and grooves.[185] While reflecting on Buddy Rich, Starr commented: "He does things with one hand that I can't do with nine, but that's technique. Everyone I talk to says 'What about Buddy Rich?' Well, what about him? Because he doesn't turn me on."[186] He stated that he "was never really into drummers", but identified Cozy Cole '​s 1958 cover of Benny Goodman '​s "Topsy Part Two" as "the one drum record" he bought.[187]

T

The SunDog

I think it was John, Paul and George.

They were all widely reported to be better drummers, if everything I read is to be believed.
Still trying to figure if you're joking. Ringo was the best drummer and I'll go one further the reason the Beatles got famous. None of you old farts bought a single Beatles record until Ringo joined the band. Before Ringo nothing. After Ringo, millions of wide eyed kiddies glued to the Ed Sullivan show.

KamaK

Platinum Member
Still trying to figure if you're joking. Ringo was the best drummer and I'll go one further the reason the Beatles got famous. None of you old farts bought a single Beatles record until Ringo joined the band. Before Ringo nothing. After Ringo, millions of wide eyed kiddies glued to the Ed Sullivan show.
It's a joke thread. It's one of MZ's midnight troll threads. I'm amazed that all of the threads haven't been locked/deleted already.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I love me some troll threads! Yeah, Ringo sucked for sure. He's easily my favorite shitty drummer of all time. Big influence on me, and now I suck, too!

Now I'm off to the Zildjian vs. Sabian thread. Thanks MZ for injecting some some much needed levity to this place!

Status
Not open for further replies.