Is our original music "rock" or something else??

That's funny Blackberry Smoke came to my mind also-hints of Bonnie Rait. Definitely Southern Rock, Definitely Southern Rock, Definitely I'm not wearing underwear- in my best Raymond Babbit voice-ala Dustin Hoffman The Rainman.

Pardon for the Sudden Interruption and Public Health Announcement. IMG_4859.jpeg

I just hear pre-grunge rock. No country at all.
Yea, I agree. Promise's voice has some country in it at times, but musically I don't hear any country at all. Which is good because we intentional set out to not be a country band. We've all played country for years and just wanted to do something different.

Oh, helluva job on that cover of Trouble, dude! I've played that one a handful of times before and it is a workout!

That's funny Blackberry Smoke came to my mind also-hints of Bonnie Rait. Definitely Southern Rock, Definitely Southern Rock, Definitely I'm not wearing underwear- in my best Raymond Babbit voice-ala Dustin Hoffman The Rainman.

Pardon for the Sudden Interruption and Public Health Announcement. View attachment 146665
As a bunch of Alabama bor and bred musicians who grew up listening to Skynard et al, it checks out that we would write southern rock music. That's them Muscle Shoals roots for ya, I reckon :cool:

Yea, I agree. Promise's voice has some country in it at times, but musically I don't hear any country at all. Which is good because we intentional set out to not be a country band. We've all played country for years and just wanted to do something different.
I think it's funny how you have to be intentional about not letting some influences creep in whenever changing genres. I've really had to watch myself and do a lot of self-taught lessons and listening to begin to understand country music drumming as opposed to the rock-n-roll drumming I'd been playing for 25 years prior. Keep up the good work!

Oh, helluva job on that cover of Trouble, dude! I've played that one a handful of times before and it is a workout!

Thank you so much!!!

I think it's funny how you have to be intentional about not letting some influences creep in whenever changing genres. I've really had to watch myself and do a lot of self-taught lessons and listening to begin to understand country music drumming as opposed to the rock-n-roll drumming I'd been playing for 25 years prior. Keep up the good work!

I got a random phone call a few years ago that led to me joining a well-established local Motown band. At that point, the closest thing I had ever played resembling Motown was maybe Mustang Sally or Brown Eyed Girl when requested in conjunction with a Benjamin Franklin note. The journey of learning to play that genre of music has been a glorious and frustrating one. But I must say, the discipline and dynamic control necessary for it have improved my rock drumming ten fold! Now, to tackle the art of jazz drumming.......one day.....maybe......probably not :ROFLMAO:

Back