Is my TAMA Starclassic Maple or Birch?

Local Oaf

I just picked up a TAMA Starclassic 4-piece (Bass and 3 toms) for $85. It was a beautiful steal. I am trying to figure out if it is a maple kit or a birch kit. I can’t figure it out though. TAMA seems to be quite reticent about serial numbers, so I can’t look it up that way. I’m too much of a novice to be able to tell just by looking at it. Any expertise y’all could contribute would be great!

Edit: Finally got the photos to add BC2DBEBA-4669-4280-9868-B8B9665AE09C.jpegE046F98C-01AC-404E-BB6E-14E5737537C8.jpegt

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
#1....let me find my jaw...it's somewhere here on the floor... 😵

#2....To ask such a question and not post pics is a Cardinal sin. Back out of the thread immediately and do not return without pictures of this "Starclassic" kit if you expect to get any kind of even remotely serious responses... 😒

Ok...in keeping with Grunt's New Year's suggestion that I continue to try and play "nice", and because I am in a rather rare semi-good mood...I will share with you this ultra secret, Tama owner's only link to the archive of Tama catalogs to get you started on your quest...

Link: http://www.drumarchive.com/Tama/

😜

SYMBOLIC DEATH

I'm going to say you bought a lovely cement mixer and it's a wonderful interpretive dancer and you got a good deal on it, because without pictures we can't tell you anything about what they might made out of.

Starclassics are/were made out of maple, birch, birch & bubinga, bubinga, and birch and walnut.

Is the badge metal?
How many lugs are on the kick?
Is the vent hole made of wood?
Is it lacquer/stain or is it wrapped?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but much more info is needed.

Local Oaf

#1....let me find my jaw...it's somewhere here on the floor... 😵

#2....To ask such a question and not post pics is a Cardinal sin. Back out of the thread immediately and do not return without pictures of this "Starclassic" kit if you expect to get any kind of even remotely serious responses... 😒

Ok...in keeping with Grunt's New Year's suggestion that I continue to try and play "nice", and because I am in a rather rare semi-good mood...I will share with you this ultra secret, Tama owner's only link to the archive of Tama catalogs to get you started on your quest...

Link: http://www.drumarchive.com/Tama/

😜
The forum said the files were too big to post and then I had to put my kids to sleep. Thanks for the link. I will keep trying with the pictures

Local Oaf

Is the badge metal?
How many lugs are on the kick?
Is the vent hole made of wood?
Is it lacquer/stain or is it wrapped?
The forum said the files were too big to post and then I had to put my kids to sleep. I will keep trying with the pictures

- Badge is metal, says it was made in Japan
- 8 lugs on the kick
- vent hole is metal grommet that comes out through the badge.
- The shells are lacquered.

Local Oaf

Those are Starclassic Performers and are made of Birch. That's a really great score. Play'em like you stole them, because you did.

The only down side is there will be no interpretive dancing cement mixer action videos.
Talking the guy down from $100 to $85 just for good measure was among the more unnecessarily audacious things I have done in recent memory. It was almost mean.

Thank you so much for your help!

Mongrel

Silver Member
Ok...so "now we know".....lol

What you have found is a circa 1994-'98 "Starclassic Performer". It is a basswood shell with an inner ply of birch. At that time there was Starclassic Maple, Starclassic Birch, and Starclassic Performer.

In 1999 the "Starclasic Birch" was dropped and the "Starclassic Performer" kit got 100% birch shells and wood hoops instead of the plastic Accutune hoops. This left only the "Starclassic Maple" with the decal and wood vents and the "Starclassic Performer" with the metal badges and vents.

Here is a link to a catalog with your kit in it, used by none other than Bill Bruford: