Is "jamming out" neccesary to you?

I'd say most bands I've been in rarely, if ever, "jammed". Which isn't to say "never" but just jamming was rare.

Focus was on song writing, rehearsing for shows and recordings. And once I got into using loops, backing tracks and such, there really isn't any room for jamming. So, I'd say no, it's not necessary.

Of course, it can be fun.

On the flip side, I've done gigs where it was it was all just jamming. But those situations weren't really focused on accomplishing anything, other than having fun and getting through the night.

Jamming is all I do now. Man, last time was incredible. I jammed with an amazing electric violin player in addition to the regular guitarist and his bassist from another group that plays there on another night with an incredible Latin-style drummer that couldn't make it that night because he had a $600 gig on a yacht with his regular band.

This is good jamming to me. They just pull whatever song they want to play out of thin air, and you play along to it. Even if I have never played it before, I can pull it off and do a pretty decent job with it. Sometimes it goes just like the song, sometimes it doesn't and a few extra solos get added into the song.

Funny thing is, with the regular guys I play with, we're still trying to get through the Pretzel Logic song consistently without messing up somewhere. Whereas, I "jammed" with these guys last time having never played with them before (except the guitarist), and we pulled it off flawlessly. It sounded bad ass. Steely Dan would've been proud.

We do a lot of improve jamming in the regular band because the guitarist is always trying to put songs together. It's cool, but sometimes they overdo it and it gets a little dull sometimes as a drummer because it's hard to be motivated to play the same song over and over and over, etc. But they want you to maintain that same energy and feel to the song each and every time.

I do alot of communication at my job.

If I launch directly into "business" at every communication comencement my effectiveness would quickly wain.

If I chatted away for a large portion of the communication I would simillarly fail.

My communications in my private life are different...less agenda...more living.

I see music as a form of communication....with vastly variable end targets guiding the methods.

Last edited:
I do alot of communication at my job.

If I launch directly into "business" at every communication comencement my effectiveness would quickly wain.

If I chatted away for a large portion of the communication I would simillarly fail.

My communications in my private life are different...less agenda...more living.

I see music as a form of communication....with vastly variable end targets guiding the methods.

I think your haiku is way out of form here.

I think your haiku is way out of form here.

ah the perfection of imperfection.

sometimes appropriate...sometimes not.

just like 'jamming out' vrs 'not jamming out'

Can't get any better if you don't play with others.

I would respectfully argue.

You tend to absorb what you are around.

I personally cannot stand yet another drug infused classic rock jam unit with alterior motives...the staple of the economically supressed and religously manipulated region I live in.

To much effort for to little return...I get much more out of reflecting on what I already have.

Now if I were able to work with brilliant aware people who were not out to troll/incite/participate for/in illegal practices and were actually interested in music....

ah the perfection of imperfection.

sometimes appropriate...sometimes not.

just like 'jamming out' vrs 'not jamming out'

Got a giggle outta that. Great stuff.......very clever!!

I would respectfully argue...............

I truly believe jamming is a major part of being a musician. Can't get any better if you don't play with others who are not out to troll/incite/participate for/in illegal practices??

My personal experience...prob shared by others...I leave it to the readers interpretation.

Back