Is It Worth Buying New?

JellyRollz

I'm looking to buy my first drum set and I found a TAMA Imperialstar for $450 used on craigslist. But on MF it's about $650 new. So do you think it's worth saving the $200 to buy used instead of getting it new? Obviously I want to save money but I want a good drum set for my first one but. I'm not sure what to do,any advice? Also is the TAMA Imperialstar even a good drum set to get?

harryconway

Platinum Member
Buy used. The Imperial Star is fine enough, for a beginner kit. Check it out (since it's on CL), and if it looks OK, splash the cash. That $200 you save can go towards new heads, a pedal, a better snare, cymbals, etc.​

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Almost any newer drum, assuming no damage, will be great. The tolerances these days are so much more exact. Buy used drums for sure. I buy cymbals new, and utilize the return policy if I bring it home and it doesn't fit with my others, or if I don't like it. To quote Caddy...Buy used. trust me. Especially as a first set. Tama makes a great shell. A great throne and great cymbals are where you don't want to cheap out.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My 1600.00 Gretsch Renown set was found on Craigslist for 650.00. No scars, and with new heads, presto New Set. It was only months old when I found it, and had never been played. Think of what you can do with 200.00 and buy used.

The Black Page Dude

I'm looking to buy my first drum set and I found a TAMA Imperialstar for $450 used on craigslist. But on MF it's about $650 new. So do you think it's worth saving the $200 to buy used instead of getting it new? Obviously I want to save money but I want a good drum set for my first one but. I'm not sure what to do,any advice? Also is the TAMA Imperialstar even a good drum set to get?
I have found that the one big advantage of buying new is a warranty.

But yes $450 is not bad for a used Imperialstar if it comes with hardware and cymbals and is in great shape.

The Imperialstar line is a great kit for a beginner - novice player.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
To get the best out of a new kit, with almost every manufacturer, also factor in the cost of total head replacement, & that's not a small sum of money. If a used kit already has good OEM heads, then that's another saving right there.

A

audiotech

In my personal opinion I like buying new because I Know that my drum shops will take care of me and my drums in a year or two or three. I can't remember the last time I had to buy a pair of sticks, springs or felts, not to mention the extra discounts on every piece of equipment that I purchase. There are many initiatives when buying from someone who stands behind what they sell. I very rarely see guarantees on used drums, cymbals or hardware. I've had some problems with new drum equipment, but because these problems were rectified so quickly and easily, I never even brought them to the general public's attention. There might be some used classic kits that I would buy, but when it comes to modern drums and equipment, it's new for me.

I lied, four years ago I bought a 12" Sabian HHX Evolution splash that was used as a demo. I paid about 50% less than what the shop sells them new. That was a good deal, but I could inspect and hear it before I paid for it.

Dennis

Last edited:

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
Almost any newer drum, assuming no damage, will be great. The tolerances these days are so much more exact. Buy used drums for sure. I buy cymbals new, and utilize the return policy if I bring it home and it doesn't fit with my others, or if I don't like it. To quote Caddy...Buy used. trust me. Especially as a first set. Tama makes a great shell. A great throne and great cymbals are where you don't want to cheap out.
+1 couldn't agree more with everything you said