is it the same people?

P

paradiddle pete

Is it the same people that tout the excellence of cheaper brand drum sets hassling me to lower the price on good drum sets eg. Rogers , Gretsch USA, Ludwig Legacy etc? Because if it is I wish they would just buy the excellent cheaper ones. I'm selling a few sets and they keep telling me they are overpriced and I can get a great set cheaper, well do so. just venting join in if desired.

It’s ok. I think everybody wants everything cheap. I say stick to your prices and eventually someone will come along to buy. It’s just unfortunate that this is how this market always is.

yeah , I sold 2 legacy kits to guys that thought they were a good deal. but then the tyre kickers emerged. Funny how they say cheap kits are better but they are trying to buy U.S, kits for the same price . ain't gonna happen.

A friend of mine who sells a lot says something like this - "If you find a cheaper one just like this one, then go buy that one."

Many people, maybe most people that I meet are broke. They don't have much money. Some struggle to buy a beer. I meet homeless people that sleep in the weeds. I live in the USA, by the way.

People are cheap and expect everyone to be stupid and/or screw them over. Everyone also seems to be an expert when it comes to something they want but aren't willing to pay for. Tell them to beat feet and go buy the lesser kit. Money talks, everything else walks.

the same 'uninformed mindset' leads to deluded people posting 20+ year old Pearl Exports for more than $1000.

Are you sure they're not just haggling?

I heard a salesman once, explaining that the high-priced instruments were only worth the money to really good musicians. Unless you're playing at a high level, this other stuff is just as good for you. Here, let me show you something from China.

Well, I'm not sure. You'd know better than me, if you're dealing with the same people. Are you selling on CL, eBay, or Reverb? Or somewhere else? But no one's ever told me I should come down on my Ludwig 3 ply 14x14 'cause a (enter brand here) costs less and sounds just as good. That's a new one. Maybe you got something different in your water, where you are.

I've been playing the buy/sell game for about 20 years now (eBay) .... so I pretty much know the local L.A./Southern California buyer/sellers .... and over the years, I've come to know some of the more "notorious" on line sellers elsewhere, as well.

It's a pretty mixed bag, out there, from what I've experienced. Some cats know the value of something and are respectful ..... and others aren't and don't have a clue.

One guy (San Diego based) has a really, REALLY, bad rep. He'll be one of the first to tell you your $1500 kit's only worth $1000 .... and on the other hand, he's currently selling a 18x12 Rogers kick, for $4500. To his credit, he did start at $5000. He keeps dropping his price, he'll eventually find a buyer. It's just the nature of the beast, or at least the nature of SOME beasts.

And so it goes. I don't know what you're selling. I don't know what you're asking. Maybe you are too high. Time will tell.

And while it might be a little frustrating in the moment, dealing with a chucklehead ...... it usually makes for a good story on the other end.

selling at half street price in good to excellent condish , fair I'd say. Haggling is ok till you get criticised .

I'll never forget the story a friend told me. He was selling an antique piece of furniture. Told the guy it was $500. Guy says to him "I was thinking more like $300." My friend without skipping a beat says "Well I was thinking $700, so let's meet in the middle and go $500 and the piece is yours." He sold it to the guy for his asking price $500. Works with drums too.

Different sellers have different strategies, of course. Some like to start with a high asking price and figure that once the haggling is done, they'll get a good price somewhere in the middle.

Personally, I prefer to lead with the lowest price I'm willing to accept and state right in the ad that the price is firm. When the buyer shows up, either they pay my asking price or they walk. It makes everything simpler.

When people pull that, I say, well go get the cheaper kit then. They will come back in a week or 2 and try again, and again, and it shows how they CAN'T. They just want a deal and to get something expensive for cheap. The used market is VERY bad for this right now.

I don't do tirekicking and price my drums pretty decent in the get go when I sell. When someone lowballs me they can enjoy zero response.

I know what my stuff is worth, and I am in no rush to sell.

Someone I know plays the buying and selling game with Fender basses. He always offers a few hundred less than they’re asking. They say no, then a week later he contacts them again with the same low offer, repeats this until either he gets it or they’ve found another buyer. He doesn’t care either way.

Then he advertises one of his least favourite basses but refuses to drop his price. Can sit there for months, but eventually it sells. After a few years of this he’s ended up with 3 or 4 brilliant basses which cost him almost nothing. He sees it as a game.

The key is patience, not being desperate to buy or sell in a hurry.

Someone I know plays the buying and selling game with Fender basses. He always offers a few hundred less than they’re asking. They say no, then a week later he contacts them again with the same low offer, repeats this until either he gets it or they’ve found another buyer. He doesn’t care either way.
Then he advertises one of his least favourite basses but refuses to drop his price. Can sit there for months, but eventually it sells. After a few years of this he’s ended up with 3 or 4 brilliant basses which cost him almost nothing. He sees it as a game.
The key is patience, not being desperate to buy or sell in a hurry.

But has he any friends?

Back