Is it possible to add PCY 155 cymbal to a Yamaha DTX720K drum set?

jbojthe

Hi,
Has anyone tried to add a Yamaha PCY 155 cymbal to a Yamaha DTX720K drum set?
The sound module is the same for both the DTX720K and DTX760K. And DTX760K has this additional PCY 155 cymbal. So, in theory it is possible. In theory….but has anyone really tried to add a PCY 155 to a DTX720K? Any restrictions, problems adding it?
I’m thinking of buying DTX720K if the additional cymbal can be added to the set without problems. Otherwise I’ll have to purchase the DTX760K….but it’s extremely difficult to reason the EXTRA 1500 USD that should be paid for the DTX760K vs 720K.
Thanks in advance for sharing your experience/opinion

electrodrummer

You can add any Yamaha cymbal to any Yamaha drum module if there's a hole to plug it in to :)

Don't get confused with the numbers. It's a DTX700 module. All the other numbers are just off-the-shelf bundles of a DTX700 module with some pads (hence "K" for "kit"). Like buying a car model and picking off-the-shelf extras.

jbojthe

You can add any Yamaha cymbal to any Yamaha drum module if there's a hole to plug it in to :)

Don't get confused with the numbers. It's a DTX700 module. All the other numbers are just off-the-shelf bundles of a DTX700 module with some pads (hence "K" for "kit"). Like buying a car model and picking off-the-shelf extras.
Thanks Electrodrummer. I was hesitating since when I was searching the web for answers, there was a review where the owner was complaining not being able to add more cymbals due to "rack restrictions". Not sure what is behind that comment since both 720 and 760 uses the same rack. The snare set up is different but that has nothing to do with the original question..... unless the rack is not tough enough to carry another item, maybe this is why the snare has its own stand on 760...?
Based on your comments in this forum, you have a pretty good experience with eDrums. What drum set would you recommend in the DTX720 price range? How about 760's price range? Just asking since these Yamaha drums are on the market for years without being upgraded. Alesis sounds good for me but based on the reviews, they don't last long (fall apart after one year). In the price range in question, Roland offers sets with small kick pad (not sure if that's wide enough for a double pedal) and MIDI Out only.

electrodrummer

I'd get the DTX any day over anything in that range, Many many many more features, lovely silicone pads, damn good build and reliability, and still the only stuff with 3-zone pads. And MIDI in and out. And no nasty cable snakes. Even a dedicated App for extra control.

Alesis over a Yamaha? errum nope - unless you're good with a soldering iron.

Who cares about about "upgrading" - why "upgrade" something that just "works" :) The DTX does more than most stuff that's only just starting to catch up from the other big boys.

Shure SM58 been around 1966 - still the mic of choice.

jbojthe

I'd get the DTX any day over anything in that range, Many many many more features, lovely silicone pads, damn good build and reliability, and still the only stuff with 3-zone pads. And MIDI in and out. And no nasty cable snakes. Even a dedicated App for extra control.

Alesis over a Yamaha? errum nope - unless you're good with a soldering iron.

Who cares about about "upgrading" - why "upgrade" something that just "works" :) The DTX does more than most stuff that's only just starting to catch up from the other big boys.

Shure SM58 been around 1966 - still the mic of choice.
Thank you. Last question... really :) Would you pay the extra cash for 760 or get the 720 and expand it with a cymbal? Pads are bigger on 760. Would those bigger pads add considerable difference when playing? Difference, that worth extra 1500USD....?

electrodrummer

Your money, your choice can't make the decision for you!

Bigger pads? Up to you. Note that 98% of hits on a drum are within a 4-6" diameter anyway[1]

You can always get the cheaper one then upgrade as you want. Silicone pads have a very good resale value.

[1] this
centre.jpg

jbojthe

I have the DTX700 module and I use the PCY-155 ride with it, no problems at all. Bell, edge, choke - all cool.
Hi Mark, that's right, the module itself works with the cymbal (this cymbal is included in DTX760 set). I was interested whether you can set up the additional cymbal on the DTX720's rack. Is there room enough or can the rack bear the additional weight? What rack do you have? Have you set the PCY155 on the rack or you bought a separate stand for the cymbal?

electrodrummer

You can stuff loads of stuff on the racks. Run out of space? Buy some extra tubes and clamps from eBay or such for a few £$. They are all compatible, so you can get Yamaha or Roland or Gibraltar or Dixon etc.

All my racks are Frankenstein from Roland, Yamaha, Pearl, unbranded etc. And go from compact to silly big.

jbojthe

You can stuff loads of stuff on the racks. Run out of space? Buy some extra tubes and clamps from eBay or such for a few £$. They are all compatible, so you can get Yamaha or Roland or Gibraltar or Dixon etc.

All my racks are Frankenstein from Roland, Yamaha, Pearl, unbranded etc. And go from compact to silly big.
All of them compatible, this is good news. Thanks for sharing

electrodrummer

And Yamaha says, they have separate stand for the bigger snare pad (for 760K) to ensure the rack won't break off :)
It's fine. Never broken rack bits in all my years. The one exception is the first generation Roland V-drum T-Pieces which were made from a brittle plastic which would just give up. Roland admitted it was a problem (they swapped a load of mine out), and now use a more flexible plastic like Yamaha. Of course you can use metal clamps from the likes of Gibraltar if you like. My racks are all gigged and pulled apart on a regular basis. No probs,

markSearson

Hi Mark, that's right, the module itself works with the cymbal (this cymbal is included in DTX760 set). I was interested whether you can set up the additional cymbal on the DTX720's rack. Is there room enough or can the rack bear the additional weight? What rack do you have? Have you set the PCY155 on the rack or you bought a separate stand for the cymbal?
I play electronic at home weekdays and acoustic in a studio weekends so I wanted a setup where pads and cymbals were in the same places and same sizes. ( The second crash cymbal is in the wrong place but there's a wall in the way.) The pads are all mesh heads. I was trying to get as close to the same feel as acousitic as possible. All the bottom heads have been removed.

Attachments

Last edited:

jbojthe

I play electronic at home weekdays and acoustic in a studio weekends so I wanted a setup where pads and cymbals were in the same places and same sizes. ( The second crash cymbal is in the wrong place but there's a wall in the way.) The pads are all mesh heads. I was trying to get as close to the same feel as acousitic as possible. All the bottom heads have been removed.
Hey Mark, it seems that you don't use a rack but separate stands for the different pads. That's a desirable, more practical set up....but more expensive at the same time.

markSearson

Hey Mark, it seems that you don't use a rack but separate stands for the different pads. That's a desirable, more practical set up....but more expensive at the same time.
Yeah. I think the whole setup cost me around 1500 euros. Not sure how much the rack equivalent costs. I bought second hand snare stands and second hand drum shells. I lucked out on great boom cymbal stands for only 35 euros each (gear4music I think). Everything else was bought new ( except that old roland second crash cymbal, which was dead but I replaced the sensor for 2 euros)