Is it possible for my drums to be holding me back?

bruin21

In a word, no. the drums are not holding you back. However due to familiarity you are likely just in a comfortable rut. We all covet what is just around the corner...it is not necessarily better, just different, and different can be exciting. Learning to push through your own preconcieved notions is the only path to sustained improvement.

bryanmurr

I see what you are saying Blast. What is the bent saw blade of your kit? What exactly is broken? It might be cheaper to fix than buying a new kit. If you just want another kit, I understand that too. I have a perfectly good kit but i have been looking at new kits.

TNA

I don't believe that your kit can hold you back. For one I believe that a good player can play on anything. You can stick a great player on a bad kit and they'll make it sound great, but if you stick a bad player on a good kit it will still sound bad. I also think that there should be no reason you don't feel 100 percent comfortable on your own kit. ITS YOUR KIT. It should be like your second home, you can move everything around to wherever you want.

Personally I think it may just be a psychological thing. You got excited that you were playing on a different kit than the one you are used to playing on and thus had more confidence and maybe played better. But I think this feeling would wear off after a few practices with that same kit and it wouldn't feel as special anymore.

blastbeatkeeper

I see what you are saying Blast. What is the bent saw blade of your kit? What exactly is broken? It might be cheaper to fix than buying a new kit. If you just want another kit, I understand that too. I have a perfectly good kit but i have been looking at new kits.
Nothing is broken on my kit. I just replaced the heads, just got done trying out a few different setups, tried swapping out 2 ply heads for single ply, but the fact still remains that I cant get a decent repsonse out of my drums. I feel like my drum kit, because they are exponentially so big, are making me work so hard to play them. Whereas the Pearl kit I played, everything Ive been playing for the 10 plus years Ive been playing on my kit, came out so smooth, and even, and effortless. Like drums should feel.

Heres the perfect example....You know those gel pad wrist rests that people sometimes put at the base of the keyboard to help prevent carpal tunnel? Thats exactly what the heads on my Sonor kit feel like when I hit them. Squishy, and dead. No stick response. I have them tuned fairly high, as well. Any higher Id be choking the drums off, and I wouldnt have a tone to them. And trying to trasition from a practice pad to my kit--forget about it. Almost impossible. Every time I learn something new on the pad, I have to start over almost completely from scratch on the kit. If it wasnt for muscle memory, then Id be screwed.

shadowlorde

i'd def say it's just the sizes that get the different response ... a 10" tom has a lot more bounce back than a 13 (especially if the 10 is fairly tight and the 13 is low)

your sonor is pretty much 1 large rack tom and 3 floor toms .. try tuning your tom reso heads tighter so the air bounces back up faster and gives more rebound

AndyMC

Lol I just imagined a set of drums chasing a guy down with giant mouths of teeth instead of batter heads and when they catch him the floor toms grab a leg and the tom-toms hold his arms while the snare and bass take turns beating him up. In bizarro world the drums hit you. (Polly if possible please make into a silly cartoon)

mcbike

Silver Member
I think the sizes of the drums are slowing you down. I used to have a huge ludwig kit with 2 24" bass drums, 15, 16, rack toms and an 18 floor. I would play that for a while and when I switched to a regular size kit I was so much faster than I was before. Playing on bigger drums is like playing with weights on your sticks.

Setting is everything too. If the room sounds good it will make you play better. I play so much better when the club has subs kicking I feel like my timing and the timing of the whole band is much better.
Tuning can have a lot to do with it two I have two kits that are identical in size and they sound completely different. (ludwig 3 ply vs. gretsch 6 ply)

DumDrum

How did the kit you played "sound" to you? For me, the better the drums sound to me, the better I seem to play... I guess for me, if my perception of the drum sounds are great, the better it feels and easier to really groove.

Chunky

Silver Member
The Pearls probably had more top end, cut througb better being smaller and higher pitched and also with them being rim mounted the sustain gives the impression of more power for less effort. More bang for your buck, if you will.

Not sure about bass pedal speed. Don't know what heads are on the kits, how old they are, how they are tuned and how the pedals are set. Personally I don't think I could use those Axis pedals, they are used by nearly every trigger happy death metaller out there but I like a bit of weight under my feet, something to kick other than thin air. They might not suit you as much as you think. Just 'cos all the other guys are using them doesn't mean they're the best for you.

Also I think the main thing is you sat behind a better sounding kit and it inspired you. I felt 'better' when I got my first pro kit but it was just that I was much happier with the sound, it made me want to try new things and they flattered my playing.
You can't put a price on a great sound.

Well, you can and they have. Prepare to pay with blood! Lol

blastbeatkeeper

The drums sounded ok. If it was my kit, it wouldve been tuned differently. There wasnt enough of a pitch gap between the toms, IMHO. The feel of the kit is what got me. Just the actual ability to have stick rebound and good response, and not have to throw my shoulder into it. It felt like I was actually playing and not forcing the drums, if that makes any sense. And it felt like to me that all of the pad excersises and everything else I could actully play, instead of having to reteach myself how to manipulate them on a kit that cant give me response. I hope some of this makes sense to somone, cause Im at the end of my rope with this whole thing.

Chunky

Silver Member
The drums sounded ok. If it was my kit, it wouldve been tuned differently. There wasnt enough of a pitch gap between the toms, IMHO. The feel of the kit is what got me. Just the actual ability to have stick rebound and good response, and not have to throw my shoulder into it. It felt like I was actually playing and not forcing the drums, if that makes any sense. And it felt like to me that all of the pad excersises and everything else I could actully play, instead of having to reteach myself how to manipulate them on a kit that cant give me response. I hope some of this makes sense to somone, cause Im at the end of my rope with this whole thing.
It makes sense but, people have given you good reason why they feel so bad.
Do you tune your drums really low?

Maybe your having to tune your drums to an unplayable tension due to lack of low-end from an old, not so great kit?

Nobody will be able to give you a magic solution to this problem if your dead set in your ways for tuning etc. and it's probably just that you need a nice new kit!

Go on! you know you want to!

blastbeatkeeper

Not by choice as much as force. If I try to tune high, they choke off, and I cant get any sustain out of them whatsoever. I mean, theyre not JAW, but maybe 3/4 to full turn on each lug, and then tune the lugs to themselves. And any higher they choke out, and just completely die. Even with coated ambs top and bottom. So, I guess my answer is pretty clear...now just deciding between the DDrum Dominion maple, and the Yammie Stage Custom...

MK636

No. I doubt your drums are holding you back.
Example: Not drum related, but same principal. While playing golf, a friend of mine let me hit his new driver. I killed it every time I swung that club. Hit it right down the middle..Had to have one. Bought one for myself.. and now hit it farther in the woods than I ever have. Moral of the story, Play that Pearl a few more sets, if it still works for you, buy one.

burn-4

sounds like you just prefer the sound of the smaller drums- they will certainly give you quicke "feedback" than bigger drums.
I played a gig on a house kit with a 24" kick, 20" floor tom and 14" rack before and my god it was the worst gig I've played- couldn't get comfortable at all it was a nightmare and as a result it seems to put a negative slant on my playing/ perception of my playing

Likewise playing an awesome sounding kit can make you feel like Teddy Campbell

Korch

I think the sizes of the drums could hold you back. I had the same issue. I had power toms over a 22" bass. My one tom was 11" deep. Now I play toms that are 3" shallower, and a bass drum that is 2" smaller. That allows me to play my toms 5" lower. I find it easier to get around, and I think my playing is quicker and smoother because of it.