Is it ok to put duk tape on a cymbal to try and make them less loud?

J

jay norem

Where did all these crazy ideas come from? To make a cymbal "less loud" all you have to do is play it correctly. It's called dynamics.
Why buy a cymbal only to ruin it?

Cymbalrider

Pioneer Member
Zbts are very heavy little cymbals that have a terrible long lasting sustain to them. That's just how they are. Tape dries out the sound and makes it just sound like a lump of metal to the audience. Thinner, well hammered cymbals don't have this problem really. However, some people do not understand the ability to play quietly. People always talk about how loud drummers are and how they need to have muffled drums and plexiglass shields and such. Why don't they just play softer? It's a pretty simple fix. Moon Gels are great little things to have for using on say toms in small clubs, but I wouldn't think about using it on a cymbal.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
However, some people do not understand the ability to play quietly. People always talk about how loud drummers are and how they need to have muffled drums and plexiglass shields and such. Why don't they just play softer?
HAHA! Very true. It's almost like we're disabled or something and need EXTRA things to keep us quiet.

I use that blue or yellow office putty for controlling overtones on drums and cymbals (unlike Moongel, it can be stuck to the bottom of things, out of sight). I don't do it for volume, but to control the sound.

I would never, ever put duct tape on anything. It just makes everything it touches look awful.