Is it ok to put duk tape on a cymbal to try and make them less loud?

Daphfz

Hi umm as the title explains, i want to know if its alright to put duk tape on ZBT cymbals to reduce the amount of noise they make slightly, without damaging the cymbals?

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
Sure, its ok, but duct tape will leave a sticky glue/resin behind. Maybe try Moongel? It looks way better and works pretty good too. For short-term applications maybe just throw a shirt or a rag over it...

T

trkdrmr

Maybe try Moongel? It looks way better and works pretty good too. ...
Ok... I am going to bed soon. This is one of those things I will need to contemplete before sleep.

I was considering the adhesive strength of a square of moongel vs the motion and acceleration of a crash cymbal.

I am picturing a square of moongel on the ceiling right after the 1st or 2nd crash...

A small, medium or thin crash cymbal should make the most effective moon gel launch platform.

Don't mind me...I'm sleepy...

crdirtRider856

Silver Member
Hey trkdrmr, you d be surprised how sticky those lil buggers can be. They ll hold onto any cymbal like a je.....edit= nevermind.....lol, but you get my drift, right?

T

trkdrmr

Hey trkdrmr, you d be surprised how sticky those lil buggers can be. They ll hold onto any cymbal like a je.....edit= nevermind.....lol, but you get my drift, right?
Ok...I never actually tried it...

I am off to watch part of Steve Smith's new dvd before bed.

drumtechdad

Gold Member
Moongel actually works, though one piece doesn't do much.

If you must try tape, get actual gaffer's tape, not duct tape. Gaffer's tape leaves no residue. Expensive, and worth every penny.

By the way, you're not going to cut down on the loudness much, just the amount of wash. A 4" piece of gaffer's tape on the underside can tame a washy ride pretty well. Experiment with location.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
I use that light blue office putty for dampening cymbals and drums - works great and can be shaped, molded, broken apart and added to as needed.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
IS this for practice purpose, live in an apartment?, or actually trying to quiet a cymbal for live playing?

I would say thatif it is for neighbors and such to try a towel draped from keyhole of the bell to one side of the cymbal, kind of like a muffler pad you can buy in the store.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Hi umm as the title explains, i want to know if its alright to put duk tape on ZBT cymbals to reduce the amount of noise they make slightly, without damaging the cymbals?
Duct tape won't ruin a cymbal, but using cleaners on it to remove the residue might. Depends on what you use. I wouldn't worry about ruining a ZBT, though. By the time you upgrade to a good quality ride, you won't care about it much anymore...

Vintagedrummer

Moon Gel
Gaffer Tape
T-Shirt (strip)

In that order. I personally don't think residue on a pie is good. But hey, they are ZBT's. You'll be upgrading soon enough so have fun :)

Peace

grooveweapon

By the way, you're not going to cut down on the loudness much, just the amount of wash.
This is true. If you hit the cymbal with the same amount of strength, the attack will probably be just about as loud....it will just decay a lot quicker the wash will disappear.

will3192

I have just upgraded to a good set of cymbals and I've found that while they're good, they are quite "gongy." A friend of mine told me that dropping them on a hard surface gets rid of that ringing but I'm too nervous to do that, what can you recommend?

Daphfz

DONT DROP IT LOL. Dropping cymbals is never good for them! Unless ofcourse it a shalimar cymbal :) dropping them would make them better haha. but seriously dropping a cymbal is never good, hence why there are cymbal hardcases and such ^.^

If you've just bought them and dont like them, take them back and get a different set.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
As for the title of the thread. NO. It's NOT okay to put duct tape on a cymbal to make it less loud. That's just a poor alternative to playing them softer and having dynamic control of your instrument...

matthew

I won't even put anythig on my cymbals again. They are made 'perfectly' in the first place and only get better with age ;)

Joe P

Take a paper napkin.
Fold the napkin neatly to a small-ish square.
take a bit of tape (maybe electrical tape? or maybe scotch tape) and tape it to the bottom of the cymbal.

Viola! Muffling. Without residue. And of course, you can cut folds of the napkin to give it less mass and therefore muffle less.

LM201

If you want it to sound quieter (is that a word? I'm not sure) Then buy lighter sticks or play softer