Is it just me?

Not only do I like being seen, I like seeing the action. Screw hiding me in the corner. Being honest, I'm the most consistently visually entertaining band member up there.

I'm hidden most of the time and I don't like it at all. Amplifiers directly in front of my kick drum, and less than a foot from it, and in the dark. I'm unmiced, so I really need space in front of my kick. It definitely irks me when someone doesn't believe I'm in the band. I mean we work hard to get there. We don't deserve to be hidden, unless the rest of the band is willing to take turns playing in the corner. HAHAHAHAHA!

We don't deserve to be hidden, unless the rest of the band is willing to take turns playing in the corner. HAHAHAHAHA!
A drummer friend of mine was playing at a bar about an hour from my house. Their new bass player was not 21. The establishment made the poor guy stand outside to play. He was right next to the entry door however, so everybody saw him.

I figure if I can see the audience then they can see me
Funny story: When I first started playing out I was 18-ish in a power trio. Both the guitar and bass players were older and in the Air Force. We played mostly biker bars. Well I convinced the boys since we were a cover band to let me sing a couple of Journey and Pat Benatar songs. All of the patrons of the bar watched us walking the front door with our gear and then into the back where the stage was, no one said anything to me, and while we were playing no one noticed. I was hidden behind my cymbals which was good since I was a bit scared to be in such a place. So I launch into a Journey ballad and I can sense all of this movement around me. When we get to the solo and I can open my eyes and stop concentrate on singing the entire bar is standing in front of me trying to see if there really is a chick playing drums. Song ends they all go away.

The main reason for posting this picture was to highlight the huge disparity in lighting. Absolutely zero directed rear stage, but all the toys directed at the front line. At around half the festival / event gigs we perform at, a riser is provided, & getting a fair share of lighting generally goes hand in hand with riser provision. As soon as I see no riser, I'm fairly sure there's no rear stage lighting either.

Disclosure - many of those cases were mine, & room / access wasn't an issue :)
Question: why don't you have some of your own lights? I was in a situation at a bar where the only lighting on the stage was 3 spots, I was in absolute total darkness, since then I'm been looking for some small LED's or something to light me up. Ain't doing that again!

When I saw Puscifer in concert they put the drummer out the front in the middle of the stage. It was great to watch, dance like.

I feel you Andy- this used to be the standard gig setup for me. Hidden (or protected?) behind a wall of amps while the "rock stars" were front and centre.

To be fair I was using a crappy Roland TD-6 at the time and the stages were the size of a postage stamp so it was probably for the best 😁

Picture 007.jpg

I feel you Andy- this used to be the standard gig setup for me. Hidden (or protected?) behind a wall of amps while the "rock stars" were front and centre.

To be fair I was using a crappy Roland TD-6 at the time and the stages were the size of a postage stamp so it was probably for the best 😁

View attachment 110435
This looks lousy. What did you use for a monitor?

The photo in Andy’s first post, the positioning of drums & amps is very common. It allows for better mic’ing of the kit, with the sounds from the amps not directed at the kit. But in your case, you might as well be playing next to the keg.

Just start bringing only a cajon to every gig that you set up only when everyone else is done.

Fixed. ;)

Just start bringing only a cajon to every gig that you set up only when everyone else is done.

Fixed. ;)
A friend of mine went from playing a 6-piece kit to a Zendrum EXP and hasn’t regretted it. He says he the last to set up and the first to leave.

This looks lousy. What did you use for a monitor?

The photo in Andy’s first post, the positioning of drums & amps is very common. It allows for better mic’ing of the kit, with the sounds from the amps not directed at the kit. But in your case, you might as well be playing next to the keg.
Used an old STK powered amp aimed at my head to get some idea of what the mix sounded like.

Might as well have not been on the stage at all sometimes- audience thought we used a drum machine (take it as a compliment I guess)?

Used an old STK powered amp aimed at my head to get some idea of what the mix sounded like.

Might as well have not been on the stage at all sometimes- audience thought we used a drum machine (take it as a compliment I guess)?
I guess so. And maybe that’s a great reason to throw down mad chops. “HERE ME CHOP, MFers!!”

Nevermind the contortionist obstacle course to get behind the kit in the dark
It's ridiculous! And, at some point, someone ALWAYS makes a comment about how much space the drums take up. I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to do about that. I can go to 1 up 1 down and as little as 2 cymbals. For me, that's the smallest kit I want to play. If y'all can't fit in around me find a new drummer or let's not gig at this venue.

- don't let people park amps, stools, guitar stands, in front of your kit
- don't let Diva singers use a big honkin music stand that blocks out the view. Arggg! (learn your frickin lines!)
I don't really care about being in the spotlight, but I also don't want to not be seen at all. I am a member of the band and I am contributing to the overall sound. Also, I have invested a lot of money in my gear and it is beautiful and I would like for it to be displayed. Even when the stage is huge and there is plenty of room, they still want to put that damn guitar stand that holds 6 guitars directly in front of the bass drum. Then, the singer stands directly in front of that with a music stand right beside him. WE WILL NOT LET ANYONE SEE YOU OR YOUR INSTRUMENT!

I've noticed it, but hadn't thought about it too much until this thread. I guess it would make sense to have the people that stand behind the drums. Like those high school pictures, tall people in the back, short people in the front, that way you wouldn't need a drum riser to be seen. Or at least have the guitarists and what not off to the sides. I think I have seen that.

It is kind of odd, because of in terms of esthetics, the drums are some of the nicer looking equipment. Shiny and what not. Whenever there are videos they always show the drummer alot. I mean fingers on guitars are kind cool like a macro shot, but other than that, pretty boring to watch. Plucking that invisible little string.

Singers of course need to be in front most the time they have some choreography, and people need to see the expressions.

I think keyboards have the same problem, off to the sides surrounded by keys.

You could always pick up a washboard.

I played a medium big stage on the weekend.. (no drum riser) and I didn't notice until it was too late that the lead singer/guitarist set himself DIRECTLY in front of me on center stage! There was plenty of room for him to be off to the side.. but I guess he covets the center stage! I could have been a few feet right and he could have been a few feet left - then I could see the audience - and the audience could see me.. Probably just force of habit from cramming onto smaller stages.. but next time things will be different; a bit offset from center.
I have heard that when the drummer is positioned off to the side, it can be difficult for the band members down at the other end of the stage to hear everything.

Back