Is it just me?

rhumbagirl

My band is trying to schedule practices on local jam nights. One member just now indicated his cash flow issue will prevent him from attending the very jam where we all met and formed the current band.

I'm still going myself in order make more connections.

someguy01

Not being seen is reason #2 I picked the drums. Damn Tommy Lee trying to put us all out front and what not, interferes with my quest for total anonymity.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Despite the fact that if the drummer sucks, the band sucks and that a number of band leaders are drummers, we are mainly a supportive instrument. Very few bands feature the drummer even though they are (in some cases) the reason for a band's success. I remember being told in college that a good film can be made better with good music but there is nothing good music can do for a bad film. I don't think the same applies to a good drummer and bad band, but the drummer can certainly help the band be better.

Imo, singers and drummers are the two that make or break the band. Having a solid singer and drummer is paramount, you can have average/mediocre guitarists, bassists, keys, horns, etc. as long as the singer and drummer are top notch. A great band cannot save a poor singer (been there too many times to count)

Icetech

Gold Member
Well... unless people show up in my basement... gonna stay that way :) People think that it's weird that i only play for myself and don't want to play out or around people.. i love it and don't want someone to ruin it by picking me apart (yeah, i'm a fragile flower) But it's like my meditation time..

P.S. i talk too much... on the upside 6 weeks after a total shoulder replacement and i did 4 hours saturday and 3 yesterday... starting to get better :)

doggyd69b

My first experience with a smoke machine was pretty traumatic. First of all, nobody told me it was gonna come on, and secondly it was pointing straight at me so when it went off the concentrated smoke all hit me before dispersing majestically onto the rest of the band…nearly bloody choked to death during the first song!! 😂
I was playing at a small club and the same happened (almost) I knew there was a smoke machine, I knew it was supposed to come on, and having seen them in action before I thought it was just about to last maybe 10 sec or so then stop..... it never stopped!... until the canister was empty that is. By then, the entire stage was just a cloud of smoke, and I was in the center of it...

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
And what's really annoying is when bands are on film or on live TV; they rarely keep the camera on the drummer for more than a few seconds!

Otto

Platinum Member
No problem!...given the following...

index.jpg

Mr Farkle

Zero visibility and that's the way I like it! I don't understand the Rock Star Zone mentality at all. Put me in the back out of sight, please.

J-W

I don't really care for the spotlight, so hiding in the back, behind the drums, buried in smoke is just fine with me. Being seen isn't a priority of mine whatsoever. I'd rather let my playing represent me than my face. (Neither of which is all that great, I can assure you).
Besides, it's usually always that much hotter up front. ;)

IMG_658.jpg

Due to space limitations (shallow stage), I have been forced to be front and center in the past and didn't care to be the center of attention.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Due to space limitations (shallow stage), I have been forced to be front and center in the past and didn't care to be the center of attention.
We opened for Deicide and I was right behind the center stage security guard. I only had a double pedal at the time so he got the full brunt of my feet. He was literally like 2' in front of me. I remember feeling kinda bad for him. And I didn't care for being up front either.

J-W

We opened for Deicide and I was right behind the center stage security guard. I only had a double pedal at the time so he got the full brunt of my feet. He was literally like 2' in front of me. I remember feeling kinda bad for him. And I didn't care for being up front either.
That's brutal! I hope for his sake, he had earplugs in. I'll bet it felt like you were kicking his head instead of the bass drum's. I imagine he went home a new fan, but with a bit of a headache.

BruceW

I'm not unhappy with being in the back, and I've taken to wearing shades some now, so people can't see where I'm looking, if they can see me ;)

The one thing that does kinda irk me a smidge is when I'm singing lead, and our girl singer doesn't move out of the way. On songs where she doesn't sing back up. This past weekend, I saw someone come around to a different place out front to see who was actually singing that particular song.

J-W

The one thing that does kinda irk me a smidge is when I'm singing lead, and our girl singer doesn't move out of the way. On songs where she doesn't sing back up.

A vocalist losing the spotlight is like a guitarist losing the volume war. It just doesn't happen. :)

MG1127

On jazz gigs I've usually been tucked in the corner
On rock gigs in larger venues I've spent most of my time stuck between the headliners kit behind me and the vocalist.

I've remedied all of that in the past couple years by setting up stage left facing in

I much prefer the view

I first saw Pokey from Leeway do this in the early 90s
Since then Ive seen many guys like Chris Dave, Antonio Sanchez, Danny Carey, Dave Weckl etc do this.
Also my buddy Bill Ray with the Paul Gilbert band sets up this way.
It's also pretty much how everyone sets up at the Blue Note these days.

I highly recommend it

Last edited:

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
The main reason for posting this picture was to highlight the huge disparity in lighting. Absolutely zero directed rear stage, but all the toys directed at the front line. At around half the festival / event gigs we perform at, a riser is provided, & getting a fair share of lighting generally goes hand in hand with riser provision. As soon as I see no riser, I'm fairly sure there's no rear stage lighting either.

Looks like you're also in league with the tradition of drummers having to step over a pile of cases, cables, etc., to get to their instrument.
Disclosure - many of those cases were mine, & room / access wasn't an issue :)