Is It Just Me?

hyruleherojoe

Have any of you guys/girls ever been so obsessed with just one make/model/brand of drums that you just want to buy it repeatedly? For me I'm absolutely obsessed with PDP drums. Ive had the X7 and then bought a Concept Maple 7 piece. Ever since then, I routinely look and scout for used PDP drums, usually M5, LX, FS, X7 and so on. I've been itching to just buy more of the same, and have this great internal battle of self control. It's just, they are such a great value and are continuously overlooked. I've found some insane deals online for them.

So do you guys experience the same? What model and make? How many do you own of them? Are there any cures for this disease? Help! lol

Heck yeah.

For me it's been older DW5000 pedals (with the smaller footboard and single chain). I have 4 of them, and among them, I've set them up as strap drive, turbo cam, and accelerator cam.

Since the footboard is lighter than the newer DW's, it feels like I can get the thing moving more easily.

1965 to 1973 Corvettes, you can never have to many!

I wanted stage customs from gumtree for sub $400. When some came up I jumped on them.

I caught myself searching for them again before having an "oh, wait, I've already got them" moment. I was a little sad in that moment, I enjoyed the hunt and the purchase. We take pride in our 'smart purchases', or else we wouldn't go showing them off to random people on forums.

for Cymbals, I'm all Sabian. (though I also buy wuhan chinas and splashes)

drums, I feel no loyalty towards any one company, and would really prefer to build my own.

Heads, I feel a loyalty to evans, but really like remo fiberskyns for the aesthetic factor, have those as resonant heads on my kicks and toms.

hardware: whoever can get me all my stands in black.

pedals: have axis, want trick.

I really prefer old stuff. Drums: 1980's Ludwigs, snares: '65 Supra and 61 Pioneer. Pedal: mid-70's Ghost.

I am that way with Signature Guitars (the Canadian company from the late 80's) Can't get enough of them!
I have 8 guitars out of about 500 ever built....I own more than 1% of their total production, lol

Very cool! Rush fan by any chance? ;)

Wow! Thats very unique. You own 8 out of 500 ever made? What about that specific guitar do you love?

Signature Guitars were what Alex Lifeson of Rush was using back when i got into Rush (late 80's).
I wanted one very badly back then, but wasn't able to find one until 2000 (on ebay). Once i got it in my hands it 'spoke' to me, lol. (I'm sure that has happened to others on here....some things just 'speak' to you, ha ha) So i have collected as many as i could through the years.

Paiste cymbals, it's an expensive vice for certain. I have about a quarter of all the one's I want. There is no cure it seems.

Axis & Paiste were probably the two brands that I was obsessed with. Ludwig too at one point. I have branched out a little more now though.

Paiste cymbals, it's an expensive vice for certain. I have about a quarter of all the one's I want. There is no cure it seems.

You can never have enough paistes! I'm slowly building my collection back up.

I've had a thing for Paiste Giant Beats for about a year now. To my ears they are the most amazing cymbals I have ever heard. I've bought and sold lots of great cymbals in the past 15 years, but there was always just a little something missing and Giant Beat has it all. I still don't own the 24" ride, but I know there's one in my future.

I'm almost the exact opposite. I like to own all kinds of drums, and so far have played every major brand out there, with the exception being that I've always returned to Ludwig for some reason.

But I suppose I'm really taken with Tama's old Flexi-Flyer pedal from the 70s (although I really like my new Pearl Demon Drive pedal). I have two Flexi-Flyers and I'm always on the lookout for another. Perhaps I'll have one from each era Tama made them (the only thing that changed over time is the footplate style, and I have the early 70s version, and the late 80s version). There's something about this lightweight cam and strap pedal I really dig - I take the old ones and replace the bearings and they're as good as new!

My first ever cymbals were a pair of Paiste "brasstones" hi-hats.

They didn't sound so good, but my Dad was adamant that paiste cymbals were awesome.

My current set up consists of all sorts, Zildjian, Sabian, Stagg, but my two favourites are a couple of Paiste crashes. Clearly that name stuck in my mind until I could afford them!

Wow all your responses were interesting. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has this affinity for one brand or model. It is as I fear. No cure until another obsession takes over! As for cymbals I like to mix and match across brands but Meinl Byzance series has been catching my eye a lot more these days.

I have been a die hard Zildjian fan since 1976. I did have a complete Sabian AA/AAX/HH setup back in the early 90's, but I came back to Zildjian by 2000.

I am so OCD in this way that I can't seem to mix brands. In fact, I have been torn for almost a year over a china cymbal addition. The ONLY one I like is the Sabian Holy China, yet I can't bring myself to buy it for just that reason.

Wow I think thats a bit too much for me. Not being to use your favorite china because of the obsession? You can maybe print out a zildjian logo and paste it right on top the sabian? May you find peace in your turmoil lol.

I am so OCD in this way that I can't seem to mix brands. In fact, I have been torn for almost a year over a china cymbal addition. The ONLY one I like is the Sabian Holy China, yet I can't bring myself to buy it for just that reason.

Back