Is it dumb of me to buy Constantinople?

brentcn

Platinum Member
I know where you can hear a whole set of Zildjian Constantinople cymbals being played.

Sizes from left to right: 18" K Constantinople Crash on top of an 18" A Rock Crash for hats, 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low/or High Ride, 24" K Light Ride and a 22" K Constantinople Med Thin Low Ride with 4 rivets.

I ended up getting the whole set myself because I'm a big J.J. Johnson fan, and I fell in love with these cymbals because of his playing.
Great post. Superb example of what K Cons can sound like in a non-jazz setting! The larger models work wonderfully, in this particular musical context. They're low-pitched, with a bit of dirt, and a nice long decay. They sink deeply down into the sound of the band, rather than sticking out on top, as brighter, smaller cymbals would.

OTOH, if you want a bright "ping" from your ride cymbal, a K Con is not the way to go. They are, overall, too dark and thin. And 18" hi-hat are low, but also loud, because it's a lot more material than, say a pair of 14" hats. So maybe scale back to 15", or a pair of 16" Crashes, if you really love than sound, but want a more controlled, versatile pair of hats.

If you do buy K Cons, go with a seller who has a good return policy. Set up the cymbal while wearing work gloves, and test the cymbal with mallets, before going at it with a stick. Don't leave a single mark! You'll know if you get a bad one. I received an 18" K Con crash that was clangy and awful, but it's replacement is a beauty. My favorite rides are the Medium Thin Low and Renaissance models. I'm not particularly fond of the 14" hi-hats (too thick and bright).

556Cliff

Great post. Superb example of what K Cons can sound like in a non-jazz setting! The larger models work wonderfully, in this particular musical context. They're low-pitched, with a bit of dirt, and a nice long decay. They sink deeply down into the sound of the band, rather than sticking out on top, as brighter, smaller cymbals would.

OTOH, if you want a bright "ping" from your ride cymbal, a K Con is not the way to go. They are, overall, too dark and thin. And 18" hi-hat are low, but also loud, because it's a lot more material than, say a pair of 14" hats. So maybe scale back to 15", or a pair of 16" Crashes, if you really love than sound, but want a more controlled, versatile pair of hats.

If you do buy K Cons, go with a seller who has a good return policy. Set up the cymbal while wearing work gloves, and test the cymbal with mallets, before going at it with a stick. Don't leave a single mark! You'll know if you get a bad one. I received an 18" K Con crash that was clangy and awful, but it's replacement is a beauty. My favorite rides are the Medium Thin Low and Renaissance models. I'm not particularly fond of the 14" hi-hats (too thick and bright).
Thanks! I'm in complete agreement with what you said, and I also like that this video shows how well these big rides work as crashes... The K Cons don't have a bright crash by any means, but like you said, it does blend very well with this kind of music. You'll notice that J.J. crashes on the 24 K Light Ride quite a bit to get a brighter, louder crash than what is possible with the K Cons, all depending on what the music requires at the moment of course.

Last edited:

dirtyclinic

Here is a pic of my current setup. It's a mix of mostly K. I am kind of thinking of going more A now that I have been listening to a lot of YouTube videos.

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
I have a 20 in K Connie ride (Medium Thin Low) and an 18 inch K Connie crash. I use a pair of Dark Custom hi-hats with them because I liked the sound they made over K Connie hi hats. Having said all that, my full set of K Sweet's are on highest rotation for the gigs I'm doing now. It really is an ear thing so I would play in person.

Quai34

+1 for the worthless video, I was even more lost after hearing it than before.... Same playing, same pattern, and even if the K Constantinople were the last one so, I'm assuming the most expensive, I didn't think they were the best overall....I was even thinking that one Hihat from one serie was better, one ride from another and one left crash from a third serie and the right crash from a 4 th serie...

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
even if the K Constantinople were the last one so, I'm assuming the most expensive, I didn't think they were the best overall....
That's the point I was trying to make. K Cons are a very specific sound, the most expensive range but not necessarily everyone's taste.

I was even thinking that one Hihat from one serie was better, one ride from another and one left crash from a third serie and the right crash from a 4 th serie...
Good! So that's what you should buy, if you are in the market.
Knowing what you like is the key.
Lots of us mix cymbals across series for exactly that reason.