is cowbell's really that worth it to have?

s1212z

If you are even just half interested in the African, Brazillian, Afro-Cuban, New Orleans then you probably have a cowbell....plus they are fun and are few pivotal rock songs out there and certainly applicable in many jazz & groove settings. Or maybe just like Steve Gadd, lol

I mainly use this LP cowbell but have few others:

Bozozoid

Had..or I (have) an L.P. mamba. During sound check loooong ago I'd go into Deep Purples You Fool No One and the bass player would smile and join in. On occasion it would be Don Brewers intro to Grand Funks Were an American band.

wraub

...It was lying on the sidewalk, in Brooklyn, on 19th street where I often walked to the subway station. One day, I found it there.

Placed on the sidewalk, but not as if forgotten in a load in to a vehicle, and neither as if to a nearby apartment. Directly in the middle of the sidewalk, as if deliberately left in the most noticeable spot when walking, was The Bell.

Once perhaps merely grey, it now wore many marks, scars, and signs of beatings too countless to imagine beyond the sheer thought of free and fierce use. Next to it, again, as if placed to draw attention, was the beater stick, likely the implement used to inflict the wear displayed.
On the bell was a strip of gaff tape, a label that said "Salsa" over the LP logo, and, written in marker, the name "Chino Perez". I wonder at times how The Bell came to be left where I found it, and if Chino was even involved, but to this day The Bell is named "Chino" and is a valued thing here, as found things go.
It's even better than the Duff Beer can one could stash things in if desired, which I found on another walk in Brooklyn, but that's a story for another day.

The stars were aligned perfectly that day...fate, my friend, it was fate.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I have about 30 cowbells, but I only use 2 or 3 of them.

rhumbagirl

If you are even just half interested in the African, Brazillian, Afro-Cuban, New Orleans then you probably have a cowbell....plus they are fun and are few pivotal rock songs out there and certainly applicable in many jazz & groove settings. Or maybe just like Steve Gadd, lol

I mainly use this LP cowbell but have few others:

It's surprising how simple the sticking is. The groove is an example of taking a simple sticking and moving accents and sound sources around to make it ... groovy:
Code:
Rodney Holmes sticking:
|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|
|RLRRL RLRLRLRRL |RLRRL RLRLRLRRL |

Rodney Holmes groove:
|1...2...3...4...|1...2...3...4...|
|         L      |         L      | : Hihat
|                |  RR            | : Tom 1
|    >         > |    >    >    > |
| L  L  L   L  L | L  L  L(L)L  L | : Snare
|  RR    R R RR  |R     R R R RR  | : Cowbell
|      R         |                | : Tom 2
|R               |                | : Floor tom
|o         o     |o         o     | : Kick
|+   +   +   +   |+   +   +   +   | : HiHat foot

The four bar groove is a repeat of two bars with a slight variation:
  - The accented "(L)" on the snare is for the second iteration, replacing the L on the Hihat.

Last edited:

felonious69

the name "Chino Perez"
Wait...You found an ORIGINAL, Chino Perez cowbell?!?!??
Them things are nearly priceless! I mean they have to be worth at least somewhere in the tens of dollars!

Many people are saying, in some religious circles, that you can slowly chant, OHM, tapping your Chino once for every OHM, while concentrating and actually cause your employer to stop being a dickhead. If you try this, though, only chant it 8 times. Any more than 8 OHMS can create a resistance, Impede the mystic powers. Believe me!

Iristone

Probably worth the ¥450 ($70) I've paid for mine, but if someone decided to do a "boutique, handmade 100% in the USA" cowbell for $450 I'd probably pass

BGDurham

Main problem with the cowbell, IMO, is the cow. Hard to transport her to the gig, too big for most stages, poops and pees all over the floor (hard enough packing up drums as it is), ass facing out to the crowd. But despite all that Bessie is an important part of the band!

Lucas.Lankford

You guys asked for it:
Classic,never will there be a SNL sketch like more cowbell featuring will farrrel covering don't fear the reaper by blue oyster colt!

you can't say you don't enjoy this song or the sketch if you're a real drummer or anyone just watching the sketch.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I have one and a wood block-it’s plastic though. I don’t use them much and can get a similar sound hitting hat metal sleeve and hitting hat bell partially closed. I play Don Fagan New Frontier song and get similar cowbell sound from how I hit the bell of hats. It gets the flavor and accent anyways LOL. Like here as example-

Last edited:

Iristone

I have one and a wood block-it’s plastic though. I don’t use them much and can get a similar sound hitting hat metal sleeve and hitting hat bell partially closed. I play Don Fagan New Frontier song and get similar cowbell sound from how I hit the bell of hats. It gets the flavor and accent anyways LOL. Like here as example-
I bought a woodblock in hope for it to be a louder alternative to hitting tom hoops for the "tick" sound. Turned out mine doesn't sound that good for drumstick playing (it does sound nice with the included mallet).

C.M. Jones

I bought a woodblock in hope for it to be a louder alternative to hitting tom hoops for the "tick" sound. Turned out mine doesn't sound that good for drumstick playing (it does sound nice with the included mallet).
I've tried a woodblock or two as a cross-sticking alternative. I don't like it. It pales in comparison to a good-old snare hoop.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I started banging on my wife's stainless steel measuring cups (sounds like hip hop Potz) so I'm ordering me some to screw onto a tree so I can noodle on them-I'm hoping they sound "awesome". If not I've got a back up set of stainless steel measuring cups LOL.