Is anybody in power in the music industry….

jimb

So many people on computers bitching about computers. Would y'all old folks prefer to write it down and mail it in then have someone post it for you?
With due respect man what the heck has writing ,music got to do with using the internet for communication.

C. Dave Run

Gold Member
With due respect man what the heck has writing ,music got to do with using the internet for communication.
I just find it ironic. People complaining about using the exact tool they are already using.

Anyone who can learn to play an instrument can also learn to program music. It is not hard at all. It's just a conscious decision to not want to. The resultant complaining is just not necessary.

makinao

Silver Member
Is that really what you took from my post? If that is honestly what I wrote, I apologize.

What I was referring to is the disturbing trend of kids spending their entire lives on electronic devices. Which is something that is heavily on my mind these days, as a parent of 3 young children.
I don’t know where you are, and what your kids are up to. But technologies have enabled, not hindered, countless kids from teens to thirty-somethings in my country (Philippines) to form, play, and record in both secular and church bands, shoot drum cover videos, compose original songs, and post them on the internet. As far as I’m concerned, the kids are alright.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I don’t know where you are, and what your kids are up to, but technologies have enabled, not hindered, countless kids from teens to thirty-somethings in my country (Philippines) to form, playing, and record in both secular and church bands, shoot drum cover videos, and compose original songs. As far as I’m concerned, the kids are alright.

That’s great, I’m very aware of the positives of smartphones and the internet. I worry about the negatives.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Computers give us a new way to make music, that's all. It's futile to talk it out of existence. I have no ill will towards a tool.

It's not computers making crap music, it's people making the music we complain about.. Computers aren't at fault.

At the end of the day it's some of the artistic choices that I don't agree with, not the use of tools like computers.

Bozozoid

Gold Member
No...there is No one in power in the music industry today. It has been completely taken over by young wild kids that have free reign in the control room. There's candy wrappers..half full pop cans and Dorito bags everywhere. It's absolute chaos and seemingly no end in sight unless the government steps in. It's one of the scariest takeovers in music history. This has to come to an end or it's all over. In the name of God can't SOMEBODY do something. 😨.

Jeremy Crockett

Some pop gets remembered for being great pop, some gets forgotten or remembered for being crap. A fair comparison this is not.
I am curious. What would have been a more fair comparison? I picked the Cardi B video because it is burning up clicks on the YouTubes. Possibly a Monkees vs. Cardi B comparison would have been more apt?

Again, full disclosure: I am firmly in the "Most Popular Music Written After 1987 Sucks" crowd. (Please note the "most" not "all" descriptor.)

Last edited:

Jeremy Crockett

Well...I could listen to all of Dean, but only five seconds of Cardi. But I'm old! You see my point? Kids are eating up that trap/mumble shit, just like 50's kids ate up that crooner shit.
Being glibly dismissive of both does not answer or invalidate the question though.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I am curious. What would have been a more fair comparison? I picked the Cardi B video because it is burning up clicks on the YouTubes. Possibly a Monkees vs. Cardi B comparison would have been more apt?

Again, full disclosure: I am firmly in the "Most Popular Music Written After 1987 Sucks" crowd. (Please note the "most" not "all" descriptor.
The Monkees were awesome! How about something like Undercover Angel or Telephone Man?

Stroman

Platinum Member
View attachment 121679
I didnt say this, @Mediocrefunkybeat did. How does one do this?
I still don't know how this happened, but I was able to go in and edit the post to reflect that it came from Mediocrefunkybeat. Somehow my phone had captured your member information from a previous post, and the text that I wanted to reply to from Duncan's post. It was wild. I had insomnia last night, so it was probably operator error, but I couldn't replicate it if tried!

Stroman

Platinum Member
I'm guessing it as human error. They probably quoted your post initially, then cut and pasted MFB's text.

I basically did the same thing in reverse to quote your post with a different name.
Probably so - I was just responding as you answered!

Matt Suda

Again, full disclosure: I am firmly in the "Most Popular Music Written After 1987 Sucks" crowd. (Please note the "most" not "all" descriptor.)
A more fair comparison would have been Dean Martin and Michael Buble, a contemporary artist with millions of YouTube views on recent videos.

Cardi B should be compared to W.A.S.P. and Zappa before Dean Martin. She’s deliberately provocative.

Dean Martin vs Cardi B is a vague comparison anyway; there are myriad popular artists across genres today with huge YouTube videos, so just say what you want to say about Cardi.

iCe

Silver Member
I have nothing to contribute to this topic because i've stopped following "musical" trends many sun rotations ago since the top 40 is 95% not my taste. Ah no... i did contribute with this post :p

JimmyM

Platinum Member
That’s great, I’m very aware of the positives of smartphones and the internet. I worry about the negatives.
The only negative is that it makes it easier for people with little talent to make music. On the other hand, is that really a negative? Making music is a good thing whether you’re good at it or not. I don’t care if people make music I don’t like. There’s enough negativity in the world to worry about someone doing something positive, even if I don’t like it.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
The only negative is that it makes it easier for people with little talent to make music. On the other hand, is that really a negative? Making music is a good thing whether you’re good at it or not. I don’t care if people make music I don’t like. There’s enough negativity in the world to worry about someone doing something positive, even if I don’t like it.

Another negative might be that these kids need to get outside and get some fresh air and sunshine. But I hear you