Is anybody in power in the music industry….

jimb

Don't get me started with Ed Sheeran, same formulaic compositions also catered to simpletons
One example. I had Philly soul when I was a teen and now teens have Ed Sheerans poorly written nursery rhyme drone. A lot of Philly was soft and cutesy ie "Have U Seen Her" etc etc but damn it was well written soft and cutesy.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
My problem with music that was/is on the radio is that I was told what to like, and since I am not a sheep like a lot of others I actually refuse to like anything unless I really do Iike it spontaneously (not because radio says I should) People like Adele (because they are told to like her) yes she can sing but if you listen to garbage such as "rumor has it" in which she repeats that over and over, you would instantly hate the complete lack of creativity and the absolutely catered to ADD audience lyrics. who cares if she can actually sing if the music is shit?
Don't get me started with Ed Sheeran, same formulaic compositions also catered to simpletons. As it was said before, only the 10% on top get any support from the music industry, the rest just have to do it on their own which is why all this garbage passes as music while good music gets ignored. Greed wins once again.

What's the reason for you calling me sheep, ADD audience and simpleton just because I like some of the tunes getting some actual air play?

doggyd69b

Silver Member
Remember the tune Old Town Road by L'il Nas X? He's now making songs as short as possible, targeting the 90-second limit. Why? So there will be more streams/downloads of the music. A song that's 90 seconds gets twice the revenue of a 3-minute song. The guy's a genius. And I'm sure the music streaming companies will move the goal posts so they don't get stuck with higher payouts.
I used to hate (I guess I still hate but now understand) people like the Kartrashians and rappers (in general) that just went for the simple easy (push the easy button on life). I hate them because they represent pure and absolute laziness, I understand them because of the "work smarter not harder" part. But at what point do you stop being a musician and become a greedy business man? I know that even rappers at some point in the beginning of their careers cared about what they were putting out (I'm not saying that whatever that was, was any good, just that they cared and actually tried). Now they just go for the simplest stupidest "catchiest" shit they can come up with and call it a day.. I hate that, I understand if that pays the bills then of course they are going to do it. Why would the Kartrashians bother having any talent if what they do pays the bills?
Sadly we will be seeing more and more people once possibly talented push the easy button to make more money and screw quality. That is even below sellout....

doggyd69b

Silver Member
What's the reason for you calling me sheep, ADD audience and simpleton just because I like some of the tunes getting some actual air play?
I obviously can't say that ALL radio stuff is bad. but a great deal of it is. if we are honest. I say if you like some of that stuff, you do do you. I also say that some of that shit is so stupid even the guys that wrote it hate it so if someone likes it I will say they fit those descriptors.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
Staff member
Well, if it makes you feel better, then so be it. Always happy to help :)

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Man, what a stupid discussion! Are you sure you’re adults? Who gives a crap what anyone else likes or respects musically? This whole my music can beat up your music stuff is for the birds.
You're just saying that 'cuz your music sucks.

Joking Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Some of these electronic composers can’t play much at all on any instrument.
You mean, again, like Robert Schumann, who damaged the first two fingers on his right hand (attempting to get better as a player, or perhaps due to an STI) and therefore was incapable of playing pretty much anything he subsequently composed?
Just go away, thanks
run away monty python GIF

Smoke

Silver Member
In the words of my mother-in-law: "Fight nice children, or I will end it for you and you won't like it." She was a Japanese wife of a GI (my father-in-law, of course). They met and married during the post WWII occupation and came to make their home in the USA just prior to the Korean war. She lived through the fire-bombings of Tokyo and had stories to tell that would scare the socks off most folks.