Is anybody in power in the music industry….

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
No, I don’t know jack squat, I’ve only been playing for 30+ years, and have a music degree.

Discipline matters. Repetition matters. Jamming with other people matters. These things stimulate creativity in ways that working with samples and electronic sounds can’t do. There has never been a great composer who wasn’t also a fairly accomplished performer.
Then if you got your music degree 30+ years ago, I think it's considerably out-of-date and needs a bit of revision because you're evidently stuck somewhere around 1988 in your praxis and mindset.

You've never tried it, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and now you're just talking total nonsense because you've lost the argument. Not all music needs to be performed. It's not all written for performance. Brian Eno didn't write 'Discreet Music' in 1975 for performance. You don't need to be a great performer to write great music. Nick Drake was a terrible performer but wrote some incredible songs on an acoustic guitar.

Composition and performance are not synonymous.

Please just stop. You're embarrassing yourself now.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
Did Bowie copy anyone else?...nope, Stevie, Bolan, Roxy Music, James Taylor et al etc.

David Bowie copied from a variety of influences including the psychedelic scene of the 1960s, Vaudeville, Blues, other Art Rock artists, collaborated with Brian Eno (originally of Roxy Music) and Robert Fripp (who loved to copy Belá Bartok amongst others). Take in there direct borrowing of Soul tropes and some imagery from fascists (Station to Station) and you've got a very diverse artist. But not one that was totally original by any means - it's the combination of influences and styles.

I assume you're referring to Stevie Nicks? In which case, look no further than Blues and Soul artists like Aretha Franklin.

Roxy Music? Vaudeville, Art Rock and early Electronic Pop.

James Taylor? Countless acoustic artists, e.g. Bob Dylan.

Anybody you care to name isn't 'original', merely standing on the shoulders of others and making unique combinations of their influences. If you're not aware of their direct influences then maybe it's your musical catalogue that's missing a few entries rather than the originality of the artists?

'Originality' comes from a depth of listening and influence. Spotaneous originality in the manner you're describing (i.e. a genuinely 'naïve' outsider artist) just doesn't really exist the way you think they do.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
People that dismiss electronic instruments tend to be people that have never played them. It's the same attitude as non-drummers that claim that drumming is easy because you're 'just hitting things'.

Sure.

I made plenty of music on my synthesizer when I was a kid. I cringe when I listen to it now lol

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Then if you got your music degree 30+ years ago, I think it's considerably out-of-date and needs a bit of revision because you're evidently stuck somewhere around 1988 in your praxis and mindset.

You've never tried it, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and now you're just talking total nonsense because you've lost the argument. Not all music needs to be performed. It's not all written for performance. Brian Eno didn't write 'Discreet Music' in 1975 for performance. You don't need to be a great performer to write great music. Nick Drake was a terrible performer but wrote some incredible songs on an acoustic guitar.

Composition and performance are not synonymous.

Please just stop. You're embarrassing yourself now.

I’m embarrassing myself? It’s time for you to take a long break for this forum.

Mediocrefunkybeat

Platinum Member
I’m embarrassing myself? It’s time for you to take a long break for this forum.
You are absolutely making a complete arse of yourself.

You claim great knowledge over something you evidently know nothing about in the clearest Dunning-Kruger terms possible. Then you double-down when you're called out on it. You then attempt to change tack and apply authority (where there is none) and instead of accepting that you've never really given electronic music a go offer that you had a go with a synthesiser as a kid (which isn't at all relevant here).

So what exactly are you trying to prove? You know diddly-squat about electronic music, know nothing about the influence and use of computers in the modern recording studio and instead seem to be stuck in some kind of conservative mind chamber that is entirely of your own making.

Can I make it any more clear?

Did you get this legendary music degree from Toytown University? Because it sure as shit seems like it.

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
No, I don’t know jack squat, I’ve only been playing for 30+ years, and have a music degree.

Discipline matters. Repetition matters. Jamming with other people matters. These things stimulate creativity in ways that working with samples and electronic sounds can’t do.
Other people posting have similar or better credentials. We are all wrong sometimes, in this instance you are wrong. None of it is fact, all of your posts are opinion - which is 100% fine, just not objective fact.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
You are absolutely making a complete arse of yourself.

You claim great knowledge over something you evidently know nothing about in the clearest Dunning-Kruger terms possible. Then you double-down when you're called out on it. You then attempt to change tack and apply authority (where there is none) and instead of accepting that you've never really given electronic music a go offer that you had a go with a synthesiser as a kid (which isn't at all relevant here).

So what exactly are you trying to prove? You know diddly-squat about electronic music, know nothing about the influence and use of computers in the modern recording studio and instead seem to be stuck in some kind of conservative mind chamber that is entirely of your own making.

Can I make it any more clear?

Did you get this legendary music degree from Toytown University? Because it sure as shit seems like it.

Looks to me like you’re daring the mods to ban you

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Youtube is sure interesting as far as music-seems very much a popularity context. I note lots of great drummers, some well-known, with pretty low numbers of subscribers compared to some newer, younger upcoming on scene-like Sina she has like 1 and half million subscribers. The young fella from Australia that posted his videos on an ekit has more subscribers than lots of great drummers. Blows my mind. Sina has 1.4 million subscribers and has some fame from a video with Ian Paice review, then Ian Paice's drum tribe channel just has 28k subscribers. WTH????? Almost seems like an inverse relationship?

Chris Whitten

Silver Member
Younger YouTubers go in to it like a full time career. Older, established drummers post a video a few times a year.
Lots don't even post on Youtube.
There is a disconnect between real music making and shooting popular videos for Youtube.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
I haven’t called you any names. Just questioned your knowledge and application on a subject that you evidently know nothing about and pointing out the flaws in your debating technique.

If you don’t like it, press that ‘Report’ button. Makes no odds to me.

So you’re so used to calling people names online that you don’t even remember doing so? Calm down. Nothing you care about in life deserves this kind of passion. Slow your roll