Is anybody in power in the music industry….

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Really OK with the vapid pop tunes that get released? I mean, do they really love that music, or are they just interested in the money it will make? I’m talking about everybody from the songwriters to the CEOs

Totigerus

There's already threads about this but I'll bite.
You're too old for pop music....and so am I.
Your parents hated your music, and so did mine.
Pop music has always been awful, and nothing has changed.
Blaming computers is convenient, but not really applicable.
The Music Industry has never and will never care about art.
Money making is king today, and it was king ever since sheet music was first published and sold.
Do what I'm planning on doing this year, and start a new band with great players and great song-writers. Work on your craft and hope to make an underground following of real music fans. Wish me luck! ☺️

Bozozoid

Gold Member
You are right... whatever brings in the 💰 I guess. I'm glad I got to experience what I did at my age. I've been living my life away hoping for the next Zeppelin in which I'm now aware that there was only one. A modern day version?..gimme a break.

Totigerus

You are right... whatever brings in the 💰 I guess. I'm glad I got to experience what I did at my age. I've been living my life away hoping for the next Zeppelin in which I'm now aware that there was only one. A modern day version?..gimme a break.
that's hilarious because I was doing the same thing. Waiting.....
Remember that scene in "Singles"? lol
And yes, I gave up and came to the same conclusion that there will only ever be one Zeppelin, Sabbath etc.

Last edited:

Totigerus

Can anyone here honestly say this:

is NOT, objectively better than this:

Both are "Pop".
Well...I could listen to all of Dean, but only five seconds of Cardi. But I'm old! You see my point? Kids are eating up that trap/mumble shit, just like 50's kids ate up that crooner shit.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
Welp, I did *my* homework and listened to several samplings from this list of new music releases on Apple iTunes:

ECAFC9A6-A708-476C-8B6B-82189F0DCC5A.jpeg

It’s not as authentic sounding as the music I grew up on (1960s–1980s) but that probably has a lot to do with how things are recorded nowadays (i.e., not much is recorded live in a studio). That said, I liked the disco tune About Damn Time from Lizzo (the video’s cute). I really enjoyed the live Apple Music Sessions of Tenille Townes and hope those were live videos (but her voice got a bit repetitive for me). She’s got a great band. The Zach Bryan album is polished country and his guitar work sounds great. All the rap/hip hop material was lost on me ‘cuz synthetic drums turn me off and I don’t hear lyrics (I hear rhythm & melody). The lower-right is Mabel and she uses sex to sell it. Sabrina Carpenter seems to target 15-year old girls and the music seems assembled, not performed. Below this screen shot is a live worship album Worship and Justice by William Murphy and the gospel drummer slays it (don’t they always?) and the band sounds huge.

What I didn’t hear—but did look for—was a solid guitar-rock quartet. ☹️
But is history is any indication, it’ll return someday.

Totigerus

What I didn’t hear—but did look for—was a solid guitar-rock quartet. ☹️
But is history is any indication, it’ll return someday.
I dont know man. There hasn't been popular guitar bands since Nu Metal died in 2001. At least not in English speaking countries. I guess "never-say-never" but I gave up waiting. Rock has gone the way of Jazz. Foo Fighters are/were already a nostalgia act. They only became famous because of Dave's tremendous business acumen and commercial aptitude. Not because of good songs lol.
Anyways, Taylor R.I.P.
I hope I'm wrong. 😞

Last edited:

cbphoto

Diamond Member
I dont know man. There hasn't been popular guitar bands since Nu Metal died in 2001. At least not in English speaking countries. I guess "never-say-never" but I gave up waiting. Rock has gone the way of Jazz. Foo Fighters are/were already a nostalgia act. They only became famous because of Dave's tremendous business acumen and commercial aptitude. Not because of good songs lol.
Anyways, Taylor R.I.P.
I hope I'm wrong. 😞
You could be right, and we hope you’re wrong. The music business is a business. It’s purpose is to make money, regardless of who, how or why. When rock eclipsed jazz & big bands it was because it made more money for those involved.

From Statista:
“Data on the growth of the global music industry revenue between 2016 and 2021, broken down by category, places digital music at the forefront of the marketplace. Between 2016 and 2021, music streaming is expected to grow by 20.7 percent on an annual basis. However, digital music downloading is expected to fall by 19.2 percent in the same period. Physical recorded music is expected to suffer and will fall by 11.6 percent annually.
Nonetheless, the dominance of digital music has not made traditional music formats defunct just yet. Take for example the revenue of vinyl record sales worldwide from 1997 to 2015. Back in 1997, the sale of vinyl records generated revenue of 144 million U.S. dollars worldwide. By 2006, this figure had dropped to a dismal 34 million U.S. dollars worldwide. Yet in 2015, the trend shifted and sales of vinyl records reached a healthy 416 million U.S. dollars worldwide, an amount which had been steadily rising since 2007, which indicates a spectacular revival for the phonograph record.”

From Headphonesty:
”Justin Bieber’s song, Love Yourself, was written by Ed Sheeran, Benjamin Levin, and Bieber. It was released by Def Jam record label.
The song has been streamed 17.4 million times. With the $0.091 per stream mechanical royalty, it should generate about $1,583,400.
The streaming platforms will pay the whole sum to Def Jam as the label. Def Jam will then distribute the whole sum to everyone involved in making the song according to their roles.”

Quai34

Can anyone here honestly say this:

is NOT, objectively better than this:

Both are "Pop".
I'm not a big fan of Dean Martin even if I bought one when I was in England in a family as the father was a bit fan and I liked it at that time, I was 13. It yes, what better than Cardi Be for sure.

cbphoto

Diamond Member
@cbphoto maybe you'll laugh like I did? :giggle:
yah, that’s some prehistoric stuff there. The mom shoulda showed her daughter how it works. I’m sure the kid would’ve loved it.

After watching it, this video caught my eye. ⬇️ I wonder if anyone is writing drum parts like this any more.

JimmyM

Platinum Member
I don’t know why you all complain so much about today’s music. You won’t buy it anyway no matter how good it may be. If a band tries to sound different, you call it weird. or say that’s not music. If a band tries to sound like stuff you grew up with, you call it derivative. So really, there’s not much of a chance for them to ever please you. So why bother complaining constantly?

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I remember when Madonna's "Material Girl" hit the airwaves 4 decades ago, the song finished and the D.J. said "wow, how'd you like to be the drummer playing that song." That was on a popular FM rock station in a large city! Not some volunteer at an eclectic university station.

I was surprised and happy he said something critical about the robotic tune he'd just played.

Last edited:

Totigerus

I wonder if anyone is writing drum parts like this any more.
Not that I've heard, no.

I remember when Madonna's "Material Girl" hit the airwaves 4 decades ago, the song finished and the D.J. said "wow, how'd you like to be the drummer playing that song." That was on a popular FM rock station in a large city! Not some volunteer at an eclectic university station.

I was surprised and happy he said something critical about the robotic tune he'd just played.
Funny you mention that because when the song was about a year old, my drum teacher at the time sat me down to listen to how tight the drumming was. It was like a mark of quality he wanted me to strive for. It was Chic's drummer right? Tony Thomson?

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member

Yeah, I don’t think I’d want to tour playing parts like that, with people like that. Madonna might be cool to her backing band, I don’t know, but those drum parts are blech.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
You could be right, and we hope you’re wrong. The music business is a business. It’s purpose is to make money, regardless of who, how or why. When rock eclipsed jazz & big bands it was because it made more money for those involved.

From Statista:
“Data on the growth of the global music industry revenue between 2016 and 2021, broken down by category, places digital music at the forefront of the marketplace. Between 2016 and 2021, music streaming is expected to grow by 20.7 percent on an annual basis. However, digital music downloading is expected to fall by 19.2 percent in the same period. Physical recorded music is expected to suffer and will fall by 11.6 percent annually.
Nonetheless, the dominance of digital music has not made traditional music formats defunct just yet. Take for example the revenue of vinyl record sales worldwide from 1997 to 2015. Back in 1997, the sale of vinyl records generated revenue of 144 million U.S. dollars worldwide. By 2006, this figure had dropped to a dismal 34 million U.S. dollars worldwide. Yet in 2015, the trend shifted and sales of vinyl records reached a healthy 416 million U.S. dollars worldwide, an amount which had been steadily rising since 2007, which indicates a spectacular revival for the phonograph record.”

From Headphonesty:
”Justin Bieber’s song, Love Yourself, was written by Ed Sheeran, Benjamin Levin, and Bieber. It was released by Def Jam record label.
The song has been streamed 17.4 million times. With the $0.091 per stream mechanical royalty, it should generate about $1,583,400.
The streaming platforms will pay the whole sum to Def Jam as the label. Def Jam will then distribute the whole sum to everyone involved in making the song according to their roles.”

What bugs me is that music is meant to be PLAYED, not assembled on a computer. Kids that grow up without any kind of music-performing experience are getting shafted by life. Even if it’s just singing in a children’s choir or taking piano lessons or playing in a drum circle.

We are meant to drum and sing and dance. These things heal us. Spending our whole lives on phones and tablets is not balanced. Just saying

makinao

Silver Member
What bugs me is that music is meant to be PLAYED, not assembled on a computer. Kids that grow up without any kind of music-performing experience are getting shafted by life. Even if it’s just singing in a children’s choir or taking piano lessons or playing in a drum circle.

We are meant to drum and sing and dance. These things heal us. Spending our whole lives on phones and tablets is not balanced. Just saying
I'm 63, and grew up playing and singing music. Nowadays I "assemble" music on a computer. Does that make me "unbalanced"?

How about the artists and scientists who have been working in the realm of computer and electronic music since the 1940s? Are they unbalanced too?