Iron Cobra 600 footboard side to side movement

synchro

Hi, all.

I recently (January 2019) started playing drums. At that time I bought an Tama Iron Cobra 600 new. I didn't have much experience with pedals, so everything seem normal to me, even though I thought that pedal was too noisy.

After couple of months playing with some studio pedals, teacher's pedal and etc, I figured out my pedal is way noisier than the other ones. I believe the footboard side to side movement is the one responsible for this noise. It moves quite a lot for my personal taste.

I tried to disassemble it to try to adjust it, but the screws were so tight I believe I stripped two screws heads, so I decided to stop.

I don't have much experience, so my comparison is based on limited knowledge.

Is the side to side movement something considered ok in a pedal? If not, is this something eligible for warranty?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Side to side movement in pedals is caused from the hinge at the footboard and heel plate being loose. Sometimes it's from wear, sometimes the design just sucks. You said it's new. I can't imagine Tama built a crappy pedal, but stuff happens.

If you don't fix/replace the pedal, eventually it can cause other issues. The side to side motion can cause the chain to pull funny on the cam and damage it. The side to side motion can also damage the screw attachments at the heel plate. Those screws you ruined the heads on. The constant side to side motion can wear the base plate where the screws pass through, the heel plate they attach to, the screws themselves, or a combination of the three. The hinge that connects the footboard and heel plate (the problem) will eventually get worse and the side to side motion will increase.

A new pedal shouldn't move side to side. I don't know if you have cancelled any kind of warranty by wallering out the screw heads. You can try and exchange it. Just play dumb.

synchro

Side to side movement in pedals is caused from the hinge at the footboard and heel plate being loose. Sometimes it's from wear, sometimes the design just sucks. You said it's new. I can't imagine Tama built a crappy pedal, but stuff happens.

If you don't fix/replace the pedal, eventually it can cause other issues. The side to side motion can cause the chain to pull funny on the cam and damage it. The side to side motion can also damage the screw attachments at the heel plate. Those screws you ruined the heads on. The constant side to side motion can wear the base plate where the screws pass through, the heel plate they attach to, the screws themselves, or a combination of the three. The hinge that connects the footboard and heel plate (the problem) will eventually get worse and the side to side motion will increase.

A new pedal shouldn't move side to side. I don't know if you have cancelled any kind of warranty by wallering out the screw heads. You can try and exchange it. Just play dumb.
This is the side to side movement:

And this is the stripped screws:

Mustion

If it's anything like my IC pedal there is a bolt that goes through that hinge with a recessed nut that may have come loose. See if you have a thin enough socket that can go in there and tighten it up.