iPad app for tabla players

Mangataot

I'm in the process of getting a new iPad app finalised.
It's a tool for tabla players and it gives question/answer phrases for practice...
It should be very useful for students of tabla who have spent a little while learning some of the 'bols' of the instrument.
Currently there is nothing quite like it out there so it has been fun trying to shape up a new approach to training with an app. I have found it very useful for refining technique with particular phrases myself but what I really want to know is what do YOU think about this idea?

You can try it out in its full functioning form (as prototype) on this website. All feedback, comments, suggestions, corrections, etc appreciated.

www.tablalab.com

And thanks, administrator for suggesting that I start a new thread.. :)

Last edited:

Mangataot

There is a new demo video at http://tinyurl.com/tablalabdemo

This should make it clear what the app is for and how it is intended to be used (as an alternative approach to your riyaz.) It is intended to be used as a way to gain another viewpoint on simple phrase practice.. not as a replacement for good old hard work in the traditional manner! It is for augmenting your already regular riyaz time with a new angle. This other viewpoint will hopefully help clarify timing issues within these phrases.

Marc

Mangataot

There is a demo of a new app for practicing counting the rhythm structures of North India.
Check it out here: http://tinyurl.com/talaclass

These exercises are a challenge for any musician and really help to develop rhythmic flexibility and control over time subdivision.

The idea is that you clap the 'tala' (rhythm cycle) whilst speaking the numeric subdivisions to a beat. It's really not that easy till you get used to it.

It encourages an independence between counting the bar / measure and any subdivision you place within it.. which is very important in Indian music and a great skill to have for any musician.

Marc