Inversion anyone?

Yoga builds your core and helps steady the spine. It does little to nothing for decompression.

I don't agree with that. There are specific exercises and sequences in yoga designed to do just that.

I used to see a chiropractor fairly regularly. I've had back problems off and on since I was 20 (bending over fenders working on cars...). My chiropractor says strength in the back starts in the front. A few years ago when I was going to the gym, I did crunches while on a large yoga ball. The ball lets you really stretch out. It really helped my back regain some flexibility.

I've thought about inversion, but with HBP and other problems, I'm afraid to try it. I have a weighted neck harness that was supposed to help relieve some pressure of degenerative cervical disks, but I felt like I was hanging myself.

I am lucky that I don't have back problems given all fo the activities I do or did that should have caused them - hockey and mountain biking being the biggest culprits - so I am knocking on wood right now.

Given that, I have also always done many back stretches - especially for hockey, and have always done core exercises. In the past 10 years, I added yoga, and have never felt better.

My longest gigs are usually 4 hours, and my back is always fine at the end. More than anything it is just my butt that hurts from sitting that long...but that is a throne issue. I have a 30 year old Rock N Sock bicycle seat throne that I need to replace.

One thing that I do notice after those long gigs is that I get shin splints the next day from all of the pedal work...

The 2 times I have been on an inversion table have both caused me massive migraine type headache issues, so I am glad that I don't need that kind of fixing, and hopefully never will...

Some of y'all mention yoga. If I were to seek out a yoga class, what should I look for? Any hints on finding a good yoga instructor are appreciated.

Some of y'all mention yoga. If I were to seek out a yoga class, what should I look for? Any hints on finding a good yoga instructor are appreciated.

Generally speaking, if you have existing back problems, you may want to start with some restorative yoga classes and then move onto sivananda yoga. If you're in decent shape and looking to prevent injuries and increase your general fitness, try ashtanga yoga. And, if you're in good shape and looking for a challenge, there is bikram yoga, which is done in high heat and humidity.

As far as finding a good instructor, I would suggest that you attend a yoga school that teaches various types of yoga and let them know what you want from it. They should be able to suggest something that suits you.

Anyone use an inversion table for their back?

I use a chiropractor when needed. I also enjoy weight lifting (well, I used to), and that helps out tremendously with my back. I went through a really bad spell with my back 5-6 years ago. It was horrible. These days, I'm trying to drop body weight to help. So far, so good.

These days, I'm trying to drop body weight to help. So far, so good.
A little over year ago I read about and began the 10-hour eating window and have lost 40 pounds without any other change in diet or exercise*. Yes, that means no post-gig beers or snacks, but that's an easy concession to make for my health.

*Your results may vary if you already eat healthier than I.

A little over year ago I read about and began the 10-hour eating window and have lost 40 pounds without any other change in diet or exercise*. Yes, that means no post-gig beers or snacks, but that's an easy concession to make for my health.

*Your results may vary if you already eat healthier than I.

This is excellent!

My wife and I have been on the low-carb train for two weeks, and we've lost about 10 lbs. each. I've done it before, but not this strict. I'll have some sweet potatoes every once in a while, but we've done well with it this time. I just hope we can stick with it. We live day by day.

It’s absolutely amazing to me how some cultures can eat carbs all day and not gain a pound, yet here in the US, a single fry will gain you 10 pounds.

Back on topic. Yoga is always a great approach. While there are great stretches for decompression, they haven’t been nearly as effective as inversion. As they say YMMV, but no reason not to do both. You still get huge benefits either way.

Damn, feed the boy some pork belly, beans rice!

Haha I've been like this my whole life. And my wife feeds me well, so that's not it. She is determined to make me fat.

The downside, I've had the flu for the past two days and have lost 5lb so far. I have a very hard time gaining weight, but can drop it real easy just by missing a meal. I don't eat regularly like most people. No breakfast, a small lunch, and full sized dinner. I will eat a piece of fruit or something small around 10am, and do the same in the afternoon. I consume way more fluids than solids also.

I have a very hard time gaining weight, but can drop it real easy just by missing a meal.

giphy.gif

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Inversion tables are great, depending on your situation. I bought mine just prior to back surgery in 2010. It helped, although I'm a heavier guy and have literally never completely inverted upside down. It was just too much.

Last year I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. I have maybe used it twice since. I noticed right away it was just too much. Make sure it's right for you if you opt for one.

And I REALLY wish I had your weight gain problem :rolleyes:

Haha I've been like this my whole life. And my wife feeds me well, so that's not it. She is determined to make me fat.

The downside, I've had the flu for the past two days and have lost 5lb so far. I have a very hard time gaining weight, but can drop it real easy just by missing a meal. I don't eat regularly like most people. No breakfast, a small lunch, and full sized dinner. I will eat a piece of fruit or something small around 10am, and do the same in the afternoon. I consume way more fluids than solids also.

this is also how I eat...but I am a bit bigger than you, and I know that I am genetically predisposed to having a slow metabolism. If I even glance at a burger, I gain 40 lbs...

...I know that I am genetically predisposed to having a slow metabolism. If I even glance at a burger, I gain 40 lbs...
I'm tellin' ya, this "lifestyle" of eating only during a 10-hour window is life changing. Besides, if I can't consume all the chips, beer, sliders, ice cream and cookies I want within a ten hour block of my day, I got bigger problems.

I'm tellin' ya, this "lifestyle" of eating only during a 10-hour window is life changing. Besides, if I can't consume all the chips, beer, sliders, ice cream and cookies I want within a ten hour block of my day, I got bigger problems.

I was sort of doing the same idea before fall...I am not supposed to eat after 9pm, and since I don't eat breakfast, it sort of gives me a 9 hour window to eat...roughly noon to 9pm. And given that I work 14 hour days every day of the week except Sunday, I am honestly not able to eat a lot. The problem for me is that recently, when I do eat, it has been really crappy food. And I stress eat...and autumn into winter is stressful for me at work, so I tend to fall off the wagon.

And Sliders are one of my guilty pleasures...

I do this too almost all days of the week except I try and go 16 hours so my window is 8. I always go at least 12 hours on the days I don't go 16. It's really not hard for me, hunger is not a factor. I can't eat as much food anymore anyway, so this is fitting right in with my lifestyle. I used to hover around 250 now I hover around 225, which even though it sounds heavy, is the right weight for me. I'm thick. I am also forcing myself to drink at least 2 qts of water a day, usually more. Diet affects me more than when I was young. I am losing my sweet tooth. Bad foods I used to love don't taste good to me anymore and good foods I avoided are what I want now.

Back