INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Real name - Mike

Age - 45

How long have you been playing? Been playing since 16 or so but had long stints of not playing at all. Acoustic drums are not noise compatible for living in an apartment. Recently got a Electronic drum kit and am loving it.

Origin of user name Half Aussie Half Thai

Your top 5 drummers? Travis Barker, Mike Portnoy, Mike Mangini, Nicko McBrain

Make of drumkit? Roland TD-30

Make of cymbal? Used to really like Paiste when had an acoustic kit

Where do you practice? At Home in a little drum studio

Are you in a band? Not for a long time, Just did 1st cover on YouTube

Do you play covers or originals? Covers

What style of music? Rock, Grunge, Metal, Alt Rock, Emo, Punk

Favourite take out food? Thai

What country do you live in? Australia

One really odd fact about yourself? Hmmmm dunno I'm really scared of spiders.

How did you start drumming? Came home from a holiday with mates and my brother had a new guitar so I went and got a cheap second hand drum kit.

How long have you been playing: 18 years
Origin of user name: one of my best friends gave me the name :D
Your top 5 drummers: there are to many, can't make a list, everyone is good in his/her own way
Make of drumkit: Tama Superstar
Make of cymbal: Paiste 2002: Crunch HiHat, 16 Crash, 18 Wild Crash, 18 China, Paiste Alpha 20 Full Ride
Where do you practice: at home and in our rehearsal room
Are you in a band: yes in 2 Bands
Do you play covers or originals: only originals
What style of music: Punk Rock, Alternative Nu Metal
Favourite take out food: Burgers
What country do you live in: Germany
One really odd fact about yourself: mhhhh
How did you start drumming: Found an old drumkit in our garage.
I've got a Website about Percussion and Drums

How long have you been playing: 42 years
Origin of user name: I always wanted to own a winery
Your top 5 drummers: Danny Seraphine, Phil Ehart, Phil Collins, Ringo Star, Steve Jordan
Make of drumkit: several kits, 1963 Slingerland, 1971 Ludwig, 2018 Precision Drum (custom made)
Make of cymbal: Vintage Zildjian (1970s), Sabian AA
Where do you practice: At home
Are you in a band: No
Do you play covers or originals: Practice to covers
What style of music: Class rock, blues
Favourite take out food: Chinese
What country do you live in: USA
One really odd fact about yourself: Worked my way through college as a photographer.
How did you start drumming: jr high band

Real name? Terry (or TC)
Age? 54
How long have you been playing? 36 years.
Origin of user name? My original email name from the early 90's.
Your top 5 drummers? Phil Gould, Mickey Curry, Gary Husband, Stewart Copeland, Tony Thompson.
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Rock Tour Custom in Cobalt Blue (previously owned by Gary Husband during his tenure with Level 42)
Make of cymbal? Zildjian - A/A Custom/K/K Custom, with K/Z hi-hats, a Paiste Rude China and a few Stagg DH cymbals.
Where do you practice? Rehearsal studios, mainly in London or Berkshire.
Are you in a band? 5 - two XTC tribute bands, a neo-prog rock band, an RnB based band and a function band.
Do you play covers or originals? Covers with the tribute and function bands, originals for the others
What style of music? All - except thrash metal :)
Favourite take out food? KFC
What country do you live in? UK - England
One really odd fact about yourself? I used to run 1500m in 4:05
How did you start drumming? After watching Stewart Copeland at Wembley in 1983, I joined the school band... I was dabbling before, but seriously took it up thereafter.

1. Real name: Nate Freebery
  2. Age? 23
  3. How long have you been playing? About 12 years, did mostly marching stuff in highschool. got way more into playing kit in college, now i can't stop.
  4. Origin of user name? idk, n= nate freebs= freebery
  5. Your top 5 drummers? mike portnoy, matt bennington, chad smith, anderson paak., quest love
  6. Make of drumkit? tama
  7. Make of cymbal? bottom hat= paiste; top hat = meinl; crash = zildjan; crash = sabian; ride = paiste
  8. Where do you practice? basements and stuff
  9. Are you in a band? yes; hive mind hivemindde.bandcamp.com
  10. Do you play covers or originals? originals
  11. What style of music? twinkly emo-funk
  12. Favourite take out food? tenders
  13. What country do you live in? united states
  14. One really odd fact about yourself? had a sheriff badge niple ring for a month
  15. How did you start drumming? saw school of rock and wanted to be cool like that kid in school of rock

Age?

How long have you been playing?
I have been a guitar player since 1977. I have always toyed with the idea of learning to play drums.
I bought my first kit (Remo drums) in about 1990. Simon Wright lived about an hour away so I started seeing him for lessons. How cool is that? I sold that kit and quit drumming about a year later. In about 2007 I bought a Mapex Saturn kit, but didn't do much with it. Sold that one about a year later.
Fast forward to 2019, I just bought another kit. Pearl Session Studio Classic.

Origin of user name?
I wanted something not easily searchable (and tied to me) on the net.

Make of drumkit?
Pearl Session Studio Classic. 2 up one down.
Ludwig Supralite Snare.

Make of cymbal?
Being a child of the 70s and a big classic rock fan, Paiste is all I previously owned. Today it is Low Volume Zildjians.

Where do you practice?
Spare bedroom

Are you in a band?
No not for many years (guitar) and I now have no desire to be in a band.

Do you play covers or originals?
Mostly I spend my time on the practice pad. I do try to play along with records, tapes, CDs, or YouTube. Remember I'm a newbie.

What style of music?
Classic Rock from the 60s 70s and early 80s. I lean toward the heavier side of things from those eras. Maybe some 80s-90s hair bands.

What country do you live in?
USA, the left coast to be precise.

One really odd fact about yourself?
I'm and old man just starting this journey.

How did you start drumming?
I had a stroke (early 2019) and though I recovered really well, I found that my right hand and arm didn't work at 100%. I tried several things for rehab but ended up with a practice pad and a set of sticks. That really seemed to help, so I thought why not work on actually playing.
So here I am a beginner again.

IMG_0971.jpg

Last edited:
Real name? Todd Beckett
Age? 52
How long have you been playing? Since age 15
Origin of user name? Bonham fan
Your top 5 drummers? John Bohnham Neil Peart roger Taylor Dave Grohl Tommy Aldridge
Make of drumkit? Tama
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? Home studio
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Classic Rock Metal
Favourite take out food? Mexican
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? Left handed but play right and open handed on the kit
How did you start drumming? Bought a marching drum at a yard sale when I was 13 and used whatever I could find around the house to augment..till I got a little 3 pc

Real name? Andrea

Age? 55

How long have you been playing? Seriously for 6 years, but passively since I was 16.

Origin of user name? It's my forever chosen internet name.

Your top 5 drummers? Steve Smith, Jon Larsen, Mike Portnoy, Pat Torpey, John Bonham

Make of drumkit? Currently a 2013 Gretsch Catalina Maple in Amber Gloss. Just ordered the same kit in Silver Sparkle.

Make of cymbal? Zildjian

Where do you practice? In my drum room

Are you in a band? Nope

Do you play covers or originals? Covers

What style of music? Rock

Favourite take out food? Pizza. Always pizza

One really odd fact about yourself? I have 10 grandchildren

How did you start drumming? Musical family and my father played drums. It's in my blood.

not new, but did not use this thread when I joined, so here goes!!

Real name? Jim
Age? 50
How long have you been playing? 43 years
Origin of user name? I am Straightedge, and played and love the quads (tenors) in high school
Your top 5 drummers? Gene Krupa, Joe Morello, Neil Peart, Mark Zonder, Phil Ehart,
Make of drumkit? 1955 Ludwig and 1994 Pearl Master Custom Maple
Make of cymbal? Zildjian's from 1945-present
Where do you practice? band room (work) and basements for my bands
Are you in a band? in 5...4 on drums, one on bass guitar
Do you play covers or originals? 2 originals, 3 covers
What style of music?
1. Go Robot, Go - drums - original lo-fi; surf punk; new wave; post punky stuff...think if Dick Dale, The Cars, The Carpenters Superchunk and Fugazi crashed together with a metalhead drummer.
2. Hot Rod Deluxe - drums - covers of old school rockabilliy/honky-tonk/and rock and roll
3. Charlie Foxtrot Quintet - drums - covers of jump blues and old swing standards; lots of Louis Jordan based stuff
4. Heisey Wind Ensemble - percussion - community wind ensemble
5. Fools Crown - bass - original crossover/thrash/groove metal
Favourite take out food? - White Castles
One really odd fact about yourself? I have never been drunk, stoned, or high. Have never even tasted alcohol.
How did you start drumming? When I was 3 years old, dad would sit me on his lap, put the drumsticks in my hands, and then put his hands around mine. He would put on either Sing Sing Sing or Three To Get Ready and would make me "play along" while he worked the pedals. By first grade, was playing along to jazz, Motown stuff, Styx and Kansas. Got into metal/punk in the early 80's. Did school band on all levels.

Drummerworld Forum
TOMANO
INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To

How long have you been playing: 30 years or so.

Your top 5 drummers: John Bonham, Andy Newmark, Budgie, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd.

Make of drumkit: Tama, Pearl

Make of cymbal:Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste, Meinl

Where do you practice: Home studio

Are you in a band: A few

Do you play covers or originals: Both

What style of music: Rock, pop, country, jazz, funk, blues, etc.

What country do you live in: USA

How did you start drumming: watching Buddy Rich on Tonight Show and The Monkees.

Real name? Jason
Age? 43
How long have you been playing? Since my sophomore year in high school
Origin of user name? Variation of Jason
Your top 5 drummers?
Make of drumkit? Pearl (broken at moment). I currently play an Alesis Nitro kit.
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? at home
Are you in a band? No
What style of music? I like everything
Favourite take out food?
What country do you live in? Northeast TN USA
How did you start drumming? By accident. The instructor put xylophone learners on snare to start out.

1. Real name? Devin
  2. Age? 35
  3. How long have you been playing? I grew up a guitarist and a vocalist, but I’ve played a lot on kits of drummers from my old bands since I was a teenager. I never owned a kit of my own until recently though.
  4. Origin of user name? Once on the Simpsons, Mikhail Gorbachev refers to Homer “Local Oaf”.
  5. Your top 5 drummers? Clint Schnase (Cursive); Bill Stevenson (Descendents and Black Flag); Lloyd Knibb (the Skatalites); Pete Thomas (Elvis Costello and the Attractions); and Ringo, duh.
  6. Make of drumkit? TAMA Starclassic Performer with a Gretsch 1970s COB 4160 snare.
  7. Makes of cymbals? Sabian AAX, Saluda, Wuhan, Zildjian A Custom, Paiste Signature
  8. Where do you practice? On my legs and steering wheel mostly.
  9. Are you in a band? I’ve been in a lot of bands as guitarist and/or vocalist—None as a drummer.
  10. Do you play covers or originals? Both
  11. What style of music? Punk rock, metal, first-wave ska/rocksteady, honky tonk, hip-hop, etc.
  12. Favourite take out food? Torchy’s Tacos, which are admittedly better in the restaurant than as a to-go order.
  13. What country do you live in? United States (Austin, Texas)
  14. One really odd fact about yourself? I once ate a seven-year-old egg. Apparently it’s a delicacy, but it was mostly just super gross.
  15. How did you start drumming? Mostly tapping on my desk in junior high. I always played in punk rock bands and have always been able to keep a beat, but never owned a kit. I spent the last few months visiting dozens of pawn shops and have assembled a pretty good first kit.

Last edited:
Real name? Stephen
Age? 52
How long have you been playing? (1983-1987) (2017- current)
Origin of user name? My setup
Your top 5 drummers? Joe Morello, Neil Peart, Vinnie Paul, Simon Phillips, John Bonham
Make of drumkit? PDP
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? Basement
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Rock
How did you start drumming? Hearing Aerosmith "Rocks" on 8 track in the late 70's started it all

Real name? Quinn
Age? Just turned 49 four days ago. (Boo!!!)
How long have you been playing? About ten years on drums. Before that, 30+ years on bass, guitar, vocals, and miscellaneous other instruments.
Origin of user name? Getting into the "flow state" is my favorite part of playing music. I'm always trying to get there again, though not always succeeding.
Your top 5 drummers? Drummers I enjoy include Charlie Watts, Jimmy Karstein, Ric Menck, Murph, and Jez Hindmarsh, among many others.
Make of drumkit? Just got a new kit for my birthday/Christmas. It's a DW Collector's Series floor model we picked up on clearance.
Make of cymbal? Sabian AA's with a Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride.
Where do you practice? Basement.
Are you in a band? Yes, but we're not gigging yet.
Do you play covers or originals? Originals with this band, covers with other folks.
What style of music? Nineties era rock. Indie/Britpop/Shoegaze with a touch of Alt-Country. Other stuff with other peeps.
Favourite take out food? Thai. I can eat it any day of the week.
What country do you live in? USA.
One really odd fact about yourself? I have not one, but two autoimmune diseases. (I'm trying to collect them all!)
How did you start drumming? Was a gigging bass player for many years until I developed arthritis in my fretting hand. Switched to drums and have never been musically happier.

Last edited:
1. Real name? Mason
2. Age? 19
3. How long have you been playing? 9 years
4. Your top 5 drummers? At the moment...Duduka da Fonseca, John Bonham, Max Roach, Steve Gadd, and Horacio Hernandez.
5. Make of drumkit? Gretsch Drums
6. Make of cymbal? Zildjian and Sabian
7. Where do you practice? At home and at school.
8. Are you in a band? I’m currently a drummer on my church worship team, as well as in many classical/jazz ensembles at college. I also jam with friends in a jazz quartet and a rock group.
9. Do you play covers or originals? Covers, at the moment.
10. What style of music? My church plays contemporary Christian music. At school, we play everything from the Baroque-period to modern Wind Ensemble repertoire. Otherwise, I’m comfortable in most jazz and rock settings other than the really heavy stuff. Currently, I’m immersing myself in samba/Bossa Nova.
11. Favorite take out food? Sesame Chicken

Last edited:
Real name?
Paul
Age?

Played for 18 years. Haven't picked up a stick in about 7 years. Wanting to get back to it. I miss it.

Origin of user name?
I don't get in a hurry.

Your top 5 drummers?
1. Simon Philliips
2. Neil Peart
3. Ringo Starr
4. Phil Collins
5. Chad Smith

Make of drumkit?
Don't have any right now. Was Tama before.

Make of cymbal?
None at the moment. Have owned entry level Zildjian and Sabian.

What style of music?
Country and rock

Favourite take out food?
Chinese

USA

I am an introvert and can be very socially awkward. Don't know how odd it is, but that's me.

Church

Glad to find the forum. I haven't played in a long time (and wasn't great before), but I've really been jonesing to play lately. I think I'm going to get back into it.

Real name?
Luke Elwick

Age?

37 long years

Origin of user name?
A drunken Portuguese friend who thought my surname needed "metalling" up

Your top 5 drummers?
Igor Cavalera, Charlie Benante, Will Calhoun, JP Gasper, Nick Menza (it changes dependant on the day)

Make of drumkit?
Mapex (Meridian birch in Trans Black)

Make of cymbal?
Sabian, Zildjian, Zynn

Where do you practice?
My Guitarists' house in Manchester

Are you in a band?
Yup, Viral Strain

Originals mainly (but I think they're coming 'round to an alternate)

What style of music?
Hard rock and metal

Favourite take out food?
Chinese

England

I love video games (not odd but I do)

I hit things with pencils and chopsticks at age 5.

Hi everyone!
Real name? Prabin Maharjan
Age? 30

How long have you been playing? on and off, may be 5 years or so but never seriously. got on back seriously about a month or two prior.

Origin of user name? i've always felt like i've been straying away from my circle, in a way im a captain in doing so lol

Your top 5 drummers? john bonham, chad smith, lars ulrich (his compositions are amazing, yes), clem burke, ian paice

Make of drumkit? i dont really have a drum kit at the moment, been using my brother's chinese kit

Make of cymbal? istanbul xist set and sabian HHX china added very recently

Where do you practice? at my work place with practice pad, we rent out rehearsal space for band practice

Are you in a band? yes

Do you play covers or originals? covers and improvisations at the moment

What style of music? mostly alternative rock and various forms of rock

Favourite take out food? club sandwiches

What country do you live in? Nepal

How did you start drumming? prior to drumming i learnt to play guitars, but drumming has something cool about it. ive always heard drums the first thing in a new song, i dont really know if its a natural thing.

Hi everyone! I finally did it-a Grand Slam of all Forum threads. Do I get some award or a possible cash gift?IMG_1556.jpeg

Last edited:
Michael Carpenter •38• currently based in Houston Tx, USA • in a project called Negative[-i] hence the user name • an affinity for experimental progressive playing • all else is a secret • nvm....been playing for 20 years. Did the whole marching band and concert band thing but bailed on all that to do prog bands and art. Currently repping solo drum stuff in the vein of Bozzio and Grant Collins but with a big ass Yamaha PHX hybrid kit.

Back