INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Hi, this is technically my reintroduction!

I am Arka, I am 41 years old; I'm a drummer/composer based out of Calcutta, India. I have been playing since I was 14. I turned pro pretty late in life, at the age of 36 (I finally gave up my last full time job as a journalist). I have an 8 year old son.

I've been pretty active even while holding the day job in the local and national scene and was the first Indian endorsee of Soultone. I've also had great honour to play some Tempus Drums. Currently, I am with Murat Diril.

I play in a few bands, including a hardcore shuffle blues band, a pop rock act, a full-blown all percussion quartet and a jam band with my homies from back in my college days, apart from recording projects and sessions.

That's it :)

Real name? Robbie
Age? 36
How long have you been playing? 20-25 years
Origin of user name? when I was a young a neighbor started randomly calling me robbie dobbles
Your top 5 drummers? Buddy, Carter Beauford, John Bonham, Stewart Copeland, Joe Morello
Make of drumkit? Tama for a long time but trying Mapex
Make of cymbal? Zildjian and Wuhan
Where do you practice? converting an attic space for music
Are you in a band? nope
Do you play covers or originals? mostly been covers over the years
What style of music? blues and classic rock
Favourite take out food? all of them!
What country do you live in? USA - from Illinois, lived in South Carolina, and now in Oklahoma
One really odd fact about yourself? I have different colored eyes
How did you start drumming? Wanted to drum from a pretty young age. Tried playing drums in school band but music teacher stereotyped me into tuba as the fat kid! Got an old slingerland kit as a gift in middle school. Dinked around until late high school when we made our first band.

Name: Jim

How long playing: 0 years

Top 5: Nick Menza, Lars Ulrich, Neil Peart, John Bonham, Niko McBrrain

Kit make: Pearl

Practice: Basement

Band: No

Fav Style: Heavy Rock

How did I start drumming: Just always had that desire, sort of feel it in me. Although useless at this point. Just a old beginner "bucket list" thing shall we say.

Hi All!

Real name? Lorne

Age? 35

How long have you been playing? Forever if you include pots and pans, got my first kit aged 8

Origin of user name? Same I use on all forums, prawn rhymes with Lorne, plus an EE sound

Your top 5 drummers? Don't know, for a drummer I'm not too interested in drums as a solo instrument

Make of drumkit? Yamaha Rydeen eBay special

Make of cymbal? Istanbul

Where do you practice? Home and band space, not enough

Are you in a band? I am now again, after 12 years off

Do you play covers or originals? Originals at the moment

What style of music? Rock, punk, hardcore, funk and big band swing mostly

Favourite take out food? Pizza, Curry or Chinese (might be Mexican but we don't really have it over here)

What country do you live in? UK

One really odd fact about yourself? There is nothing odd about me, which is a bit odd.

How did you start drumming? It's all I've ever wanted to do, I can't remember a time before I wanted to play the drums, a colleague of my mom's lent me a small kit and it convinced my parents I was serious about it. I got my own kit a couple of months later.

Real name? Paul

Age?...... 51

How long have you been playing? .....On and off for 40 years since age 10

Origin of user name?....... I’m over 50 and I play drums

Your top 5 drummers?.....in no particular order...... Bonham, peart, Morgan rose, Billy cobham, terry bozio and really so many others.

Make of drum kit?.....pearl and Ludwig mixed set I call franken-kit. Had it forever . currently on the hunt for a quality used set. Pearl marching snare.

Make of cymbal? .....Zildjian/ Paiste

Where do you practice?...... basement on kit, table tops, desks, dashboard and steering wheel. You name it. Always tapping on something. It annoys some people and the wife , but I don’t really care. I can’t help it anyway.

Are you in a band? .....Was years ago with the kit, now just jam with friends here and there and on my own to songs I like. Current band is F.O.P bagpipe band

Do you play covers or originals? .....Both.

What style of music? Rock, blues, country rock, pop some,metal.country, most anything I find interesting

Favourite take out food?..... Any healthy Asian stir fry

What country do you live in?.... U.S

One really odd fact about yourself? ......Don’t know about odd, because I’m not the only one , but clowns creep me out , I really hate em.

How did you start drumming? ......When I was 10 my older brother (13)started playing guitar and I would always tap and drum along on things with my hands. I got a pair of sticks and would play along on books and pillows and such, at 11 I got a smal 3 piece , hat , and crash/ride and was completely hooked.

Hi everyone!

real name? Dave Purcell

age? 51

how long been playing? 21 years (ages 7-24, 50-present)

origin of user name? It's my name!

top 5 drummers? Stewart Copeland, Brian Blade, Mark Guiliana, Neil Peart, Pete Thomas

make of drumkit? Gretsch Brooklyn (12/14/20) and Gretsch Catalina Club (12/14/18)

make of cymbal? Istanbul Mehmet

where do you practice? Band rehearsal space + my basement

are you in a band/s? Yes -- Pike 27, www.pike27.net

covers or originals? Originals

what style of music? Alternative, jazz, instrumental, electronic

favourite take out food? Indian

country? USA

one really odd fact about yourself? I fired myself as the lead singer/rhythm guitarist of my own band so I can go back to drumming

how did you start drumming? Started banging on pots and pans before I can remember. Parents bought me a toy kit that I tore through, so they saved for a used kit.

Name: Sam

How long playing: 50 years (I should be much better by now)

Top 5: Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Stewart Copeland, vinnie coliutti, Carter Beauford

Kit make: 2 Yamaha kits and 1 Gretsch kit

Practice: Basement

Band: yes, 2

Fav Style: Funk

How did I start drumming: Started in drum Corp as a kid a moved to drumset at about age 12.

What's up everybody, newbie introduction from KY.

Real name? TJ

Age? 30

How long have you been playing? Playing seriously for 7 months.

Origin of user name? My trade

Your top 5 drummers? Jeremy Spencer, Barry Kerch, Lars Ulrich

Make of drumkit? Pulse

Where do you practice? At home

Are you in a band? No, but it is my goal to be

Do you play covers or originals? Both

What style of music? any, but mostly rock and metal.

Favourite take out food? Mexican

What country do you live in? USA

How did you start drumming? always had a love for drumming, has always spoke to my soul. Had a lot before but didn't practice seriously and now I'm giving it a real go.

Hey everyone!
Brand new here and wanted to say hello. I’m actually a guitar player that has just acquired a drum set. They were my BIL’s and he sold them to me cheap. I can play a little bit, nothing great but I’m at least capable.
I’ve replaced eh drum heads and had a drummer friend help me tune them. And I’m currently trying to upgrade the cymbals since the ones I have are either low end and sound crappy or are slightly damaged.
Hoping to learn lots here!
Thanks
Brian

Hello!

I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself - I'm Steve from Boston. I've played drums for about 29 years and own a company which does drum set based workshops for seniors, corporations and colleges. It's nice to read from fellow drummers in the forum. You guys rock!

God Bless,

Real name? Chris
Age? 44
How long have you been playing? 2 years
Origin of user name? My other car is a...
Your top 5 drummers? Dave Krusen, Patrick Carney, PH Naffah, Tre Cool, Steve Gorman
Make of drumkit? Mapex Meridian Birch
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Are you in a band? Currently on a break
Do you play covers or originals? Prefer Covers
What style of music? 90's rock, pop, country
Favourite take out food? Chinese
One really odd fact about yourself? Grew up with my dad's 70's Ludwig red sparkle kit in my house, never touched it.
How did you start drumming? I played 2nd rhythm guitar in a band...our drummer moved...we searched for a new drummer, no luck...I volunteered to try it...my lead singer said "I don't think that's a good idea"...I learned 3 of our songs on an electric kit...auditioned with my own band...won the job...bought a 1991 Pearl Export kit...learned 40 more songs...played gigs with them for about 1.5yrs...two band mates moved...now on a break!

Hello. Im. Jack
from. Waterbury,Ct
Age 67 ,percussionist since I was 14 started lessons in 7th grade
Grammar school marching band and. PAL jr. instructor till 67.

Hs concert / marching band 4 yrs
In 69 and after Played with different
People. Jazz , funk, rock, big band
Concert pit percussion
First kit in 68 ,and. English 3 pc. Blue. Broadway,bought by. Leedy
Usedd 7 pc dbb. Maple. Black laq8uer Gretsch kit
Now. 4, 91. Pearl. World series Red wine
A Chrome72 to present. Ludwig M400 snare
Cymbals for the most part, I've had ; play since between 69 & "72

A. Zildjians: 22". Heavy ride,2 18" med thin crash,18",16" thin crash,
18 "sizzle ride/ crash ,8 " Aquarian
Extras,change offs
An Amir 20" 12" Wuhan china
Sticks variable
Vic. Firth 5a. 5b, Zildjian 7a. Promark. Classic Rock,

VF mallet stick combo
Felt bass beater
Play in basement. Use anti ringers
Remo. Pinstripes
Evans G 2 series snare batter. Remo clear snare side

6" Chrome steelcowbell ; Pearl Black spike Jamblock

Attachments

• rt_2018_01_25_3_cmx0bXM6Ly9ldmVudC8xNTE2MjE5NTQ4MDAw.jpg
    rt_2018_01_25_3_cmx0bXM6Ly9ldmVudC8xNTE2MjE5NTQ4MDAw.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 181
Hello. Im. Jack. Kaplan
from. Waterbury,Ct
[email protected]

Wilby Wildcats HS concert / marching band 4 yrs
Concert pit percussion
Now. 4, 91. Pearl. World series Red
8 wine

A. Zildjians: 14" New beat highhats22". Heavy ride,2 18" med thin crash,18",16" thin crash,
Extras,change offs
Sticks variable

VF mallet stick combo
Felt bass beater
Remo. Pinstripes
Evans G 2 series snare batter. Remo clear snare side 6" Chrome steelcowbell ; Pearl Black spike
Various cymbal stands. Pearl hh.
Jamblock. Ludwig speed king pedal
Recently sold my 72. Majestic 4 pc.

Hello. Im. Jack. Kaplan
from. Waterbury,Ct
[email protected]

Wilby Wildcats HS concert / marching band 4 yrs
Concert pit percussion
Now. 4, 91. Pearl. World series Red
8 wine

A. Zildjians: 14" New beat highhats22". Heavy ride,2 18" med thin crash,18",16" thin crash,
Extras,change offs
Sticks variable

VF mallet stick combo
Felt bass beater
Remo. Pinstripes
Evans G 2 series snare batter. Remo clear snare side 6" Chrome steelcowbell ; Pearl Black spike
Various cymbal stands. Pearl hh.
Jamblock. Ludwig speed king pedal
Recently sold my 72. Majestic 4 pc.

Real name? Brad
Age? 29
How long have you been playing? 20 years on and off
Origin of user name? My first choice was deemed spam
Your top 5 drummers? John Bonham, Alex Van Halen, Nicko McBrain, Mike Portnoy, Neil Peart
Make of drumkit? PDP Concept Maple
Make of cymbal? Sabian
Are you in a band? Not at the moment
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Hard Rock, Blues, Hair Metal, Jazz
Favourite take out food? Pizza
One really odd fact about yourself? I had a black lab that found bombs while in the Marine Corps, and I was able to adopt him when he retired.
How did you start drumming? My Godfather used to be in Kiss cover band (makeup and all). When I was 7 or 8 I had a chance to beat on his drums and have been hooked ever since.

Hey WiscoDrums, cool to see another Wisconsinite! Whereabouts are you?

As for my re-intro. I sort of posted an intro post in the "Gear" portion of "Your Place", but here are the questions, which would appear totally get read and responded to...

Real name? Luke
Age? 31
How long have you been playing? About 20 years.
Origin of user name? Pure inspiration.
Your top 5 drummers? For various reasons, I enjoy the following: Dan Bailey; Carter McClean; Terence Clark; Blake Richardson; Jon Theodore.
Make of drumkit? George Way and Tama
Make of cymbal? Istanbul, Bosphorus, Zildjian
Where do you practice? My house. My living room is mainly a drum shrine.
Are you in a band? Yes.
Do you play covers or originals? Mainly originals, occasional covers.
What style of music? One band is indie pop/rock. The other is straight 80s electronic pop stuff.
Favourite take out food? Wings, always wings (but I prefer to eat them in).
What country do you live in? US of A (Wisconsin).
One really odd fact about yourself? I speak Norwegian.
How did you start drumming? I just always wanted to play drums, and I continue to always want to play drums.

Hi. .older retired guy Im 67 ,drumming '67
Played in school bands gig band and orchestra percussionist.
Classic. Rock. , funk, n. Jazz
Jacob. S. Kaplan.
Call me. Jack or. Jake
5 Waterbury,,,widowed,2004,lost my son. Bryan at 39 from diabetes. A great drummer too,in. Oct, 2016,
I have a '72. Chrome. Ludwig. M400 snare 5.5x14, the kit a. Pearl. World. Series in Red. Was 12. 13 16 22

Various hardware, my cymbals are primarily as listed.
A. Zildjian I've bought from 69
1: 22 heavy ride: 2 18 med crash, 1,18 sizzle effects crash ride, 1,16 thin crash.14 new beat. H H
1. just added an 8 Aquarian splash,12 Wuhan. China, and a. 20. Amir,
My stands are. Gibraltar. Pearl ,Pdp Gibraltar. ,Ludwig and Pearl single pedals ,two with felt beaters. One with wood, I switch off from. 2 steel cowbells , 2 old steel. Chrome cowbells 6&8 " & Pearl. Black,Spiked. Jamblock.
I watch drummers. And concerts on You tube!
Lessons and techniques to learn
Its important to know How and When to variate ( adlib)

I'm thankful to have had very supportive parents.

My very. First kit, from. Divito music in 68. A 3 pc. Blue swirl by Broadway
'72 Bought a used. 7 pc .Black laquer Maple 6 ply Gretsch.8 Beautiful projection.
I have a bad shoulder
Dont lug the kit around anymore,, i do open. Mikes go to a club on occasion ,sit in a song or two.

trying out the music store kits
Life proceeds. I do text and email
Im on FB too.!
Im old school ,not that old fashion.
[email protected]

Contact me. If you want. Introduce plz.
Rock. On. People.
Be good to youreself and show respect.7

Ad

I pieced together the rest,sold it to a keyboardist. Played for grammar ,2 yrs PAL,& 4 yrs Wilby HS school. Marching- Concert band,
Got into. Rock Jazz. . Funk Classic Rock bands and was a. Union fill-in
For groups and orchestra gigs.
Fy. Equipment wears out after playng 50 yrs !
Newest stands. Pearl.hd HH clamp on for the Aquarian under the new beats and a new. Pdp brand tractor stool and boom stands. Junk cheap adjuster gears and wingnuts ,

. Selling it soon, I ll get a hd round. Pearl throne,a couple 800 series boom stands.
D

Hi ! I think i've found the right place to introduce myself, so…

Real name? Gérald
Age? 42, almost 43
How long have you been playing? 33 years i think
Your top 5 drummers? In no particular order : Stanton Moore, John Bonham, Zigaboo Modeliste, Roger Hawkins, Herlin Riley… and the list goes on and on...
Make of drumkit? 2 kits: a Tama starclassic maple (made in japan) and a cheap Capelle (french brand) which is the one i use the most currently. Main snares are a Ludwig black beauty and a Slingerland Radio King
Make of cymbal? Zildjian ride and crashes, Bosphorus hats and i still have some UFIPs that i Don't use anymore
Where do you practice? rented space
Are you in a band? yes, 2 main bands and some ponctual gigging
Do you play covers or originals? Both, originals in my two main bands and covers with paid gigs
What style of music? I try to play them all ...
Favourite take out food? I try to eat them all...
What country do you live in? France
How did you start drumming? As long as i remember, i've Always been receptive to music and i Always loved to dance to the music that was playing at home… but i really caught the bug of drumming in Elementary school where we had an introduction on west african music by a congolese musician.
I Believe that man is still touring french schools to teach west african music to kids, would love to meet him again just to say thank you !

How long have you been playing: On and off since 1966

Your top 5 drummers:Buddy Miles, Mitch Mitchell, Dave Getz, Joe Morello and a local drummer (don't know his name and the band, 'Cosmic Avenue' is now defunct).

Make of drumkit: Ludwig

Make of cymbal:Zildjian, Sabian, Paiste and Summit

Where do you practice:My garage

Are you in a band:No

Do you play covers or originals:I play along with songs with my headphones.

What style of music:Mostly rock and some funk.

Favourite take out food:Bangkok Thai's teriyaki chicken in Puyallup, WA

What country do you live in:United States

How did you start drumming:When I was a teenager I just thought it was so cool to see and hear all the drummers/bands in San Francisco at the Avalon Ballroom, Fillmore Auditorium, Winterland, Carousel Ballroom, The Panhandle and Golden Gate Park. I saw Jimi play for free in the Panhandle in June 1967. Saw him that same night at the Fillmore.

Can I ramble a bit? Some of my regrets concerning music: Not taking lessons when I was young and losing my first Ludwig kit to repossession in 1966. Nobody's fault but mine on that one. My interest in drumming slipped away for many years after that. I would mess around here and there with someone else's drums, but never tried to get another set. Fast forward to 2000. Now retired, I saw an old Ludwig kit with all Zildjians for sale one day for $600 and snagged it. I built a small room to play them in and had fun for a while, but eventually had to sell them due to being short on money. A friend had given me a 5x14 Supraphonic snare too to add to the kit. It was a bummer to let go for sure. More time passed and I decided to try a Roland kit and got together with a guitar player and we did some jamming together for a while. He wanted to form a band, but I just wasn't into it and felt a bit inadequate. I ended up selling the kit to a drummer in a mariachi band and I then got another Roland kit after moving in with my girlfriend. I did take lessons in town for a few months, but my right shoulder began to give me problems and I had to quit the lessons. My teacher said I am always welcome back and that it was a pleasure to teach me. That felt really good to hear that. Sadly, the drums sat in the garage and I would only play them here and there. Life just seemed to always get in the way no matter what I'd do. I finally sold them but just this past winter I came into some money and got my current kit which is the Ludwig classic maple Bonham set. I've played them a fair amount of time, but again, they have sat silent for a while. A depressing story, ey? Well, I think I've reached a point in life to where I now only want to play the snare drum. I really do enjoy listening to and playing etudes and solos and I now have a 'man cave' I can go to without bothering anyone and I can practice for 2-3 hours a day. I'm trying very hard to read and play plus interpret the notation and I may just sign up for lessons again. I will soon have 6 snare drums but I plan on getting a symphonic snare, either a Grover or Pearl. I just love how they sound and never realized that type of snare drum existed. I am also going to put the Ludwig kit up for sale. Does this sound crazy? Am I nuts? Anyone have a similar life story?

Current books I have are:

Stick Control
Elementary Drum Method-Roy Burns
The Everything Drums Book-Eric Starr (great etudes to practice)
Recital Solos For Snare Drum-Garwood Whaley (may be out of my league for now)
With Your Own Two Hands-Seymour Bernstein
A 1909 copy of Elson's Pocket Music Dictionary

My nephew recently gave me the TAMA Rhythm Watch RW200 metronome and it's a big help.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling post and I'm glad to be here. :^)

Back