INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Tensor

Real name?
Rick Kopp

Age?
I'm 65, 66 in a few weeks

How long have you been playing?
I wanted to drum as a kid, but my parents were not in love with having a drum kit in the house. I got older then life got in the way, but I got a practice pad for Christmas of 2020, so I looked up some videos about holding the sticks, looked up rudiments, and just started practicing them. Around February I had my left ring finger locked up and it took until July to where I could hold a stick. I started lessons the second week of August and got my kit the second week of September.

Origin of user name?
I studied General Relativity and that theory uses mathematical objects called Tensors.

Your top 5 drummers?
I grew up listening to my dad's 78s so I got to know Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Max Roach Viola Smith among others. Keith Moon, Neil Peart, Ginger Baker, and Ringo Starr were the ones I followed in my teens and later.

I have been reading many of these, as I do from time to time, and you must know, that anyone who FORGOT to mention Ringo as a favorite will be arrested, jailed, and served only bread and water.

( and no, the admin's threat had nothing to do with my including Ringo) 😛

Make of drumkit?
Ludwig element evolution

Make of cymbal?
Zildjian ZBT, with an 18 inch S series medium-thin crash.

Where do you practice?
Unused bedroom.

Are you in a band?
No

Do you play covers or originals?
I am about 2/3 finished with learning my first song, Every Breath You Take, so covers.

What style of music?
Practice

Favourite take out food?
Pizza.

What country do you live in?
US

One really odd fact about yourself?
I alluded to it earlier, I was able, when I was younger, to understand and work on General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory.

How did you start drumming?
As far back as I can remember, I would keep a beat with my hands, learned where drums and cymbals were so I could air drum acurately. Actually keep up with some songs the first time I sat behind a kit, except for the damn feet thing. Now, taking lessons and learning how to work the pedals.

Oleg Vostyakov

Hi there! My name is Oleg. I'm living in Switzerland. Strict rules of city of Geneva (about noise of musical instruments) they awakened in me a great desire to master the game of drums:sneaky: So that's why I'm here and I want to learn a lot here. Waiting for your help! Thank you!

TimInAZ

Hello everyone! Thank you for having me! I'm really looking forward to reading the posts here and having discussions with you all. Thanks again! Tim

Real name? Tim
Age? 45
How long have you been playing? 1 month
Origin of user name? My name is Tim and I live in Arizona, USA
Your top 5 drummers? Art Blakey, Ringo Starr, Butch Norton (Lucinda Williams)
Make of drumkit? Alesis Crimson II
Make of cymbal? Alesis Crimson II
Where do you practice? My house
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Still practicing technique
What style of music? 1. Classic Rock 2. Jazz 3. Pop
Favourite take out food? I don't eat take out food anymore but it used to be In & Out Burger
What country do you live in? U.S.A.
One really odd fact about yourself? I explore abandoned mines
How did you start drumming? I was debating starting piano lessons again and said to hell with that I'd rather be a drummer

cbphoto

Gold Member
How did you start drumming? I was debating starting piano lessons again and said to hell with that I'd rather be a drummer
This is the attitude of a drummer. I hope you enjoy the journey. If you encounter any problems or don’t know how to do something (tune your bass drum, work on paradiddles) post up your questions here. Members will flood the forum with answers and suggestions.

helloetienne

Real name? Etienne
Age? 34
How long have you been playing? on and off for 8 years
Origin of user name? nothing terribly creative there, just thought it was cute
Your top 5 4 drummers? Janet Weiss, Marian Li Pino, Stella Mozgawa, Sir David of Grohl
Make of drum kit? PDP New Yorker, just a little guy
Make of cymbal? due to Chicago apartment living I'm currently using Zildjian Low-Volumes, but I'm salivating for some "real" cymbals. overwhelmed with the options 😖
Where do you practice? mostly in my apartment (I use Remo Silentstrokes), but I'll rent a few hours at one of the local practice/studio spaces to get behind a better kit from time to time
Are you in a band? no, but I am for hire and play one-offs from time to time. I'm kind of shying away from performing right now
Do you play covers or originals? both
What style of music? good question. hah. punk, "indie", "art rock", post-punk, r&b, and I'm ready to dabble with some jazz techniques
Favorite take out food? Vietnamese
What country do you live in? USA
One odd fact about yourself? an odd fact about myself is that I'm severely overthinking the phrasing of this prompt! 🥲
How did you start drumming? in my mid-20s I really wanted to be in a punk band, and it seemed like literally everyone was looking for a drummer. I had been playing guitar (poorly) since 8th grade and dabbling in bass. the drummer of my best friend's band quit to go work on a boat, so I figured it was finally time for me to learn drums. excellent learning experience. I didn't get very good (by my own impossible standards) before the band broke up and I didn't play regularly for several years after that -- only gotten heavily back into it in the last couple of years, since I've made some other big changes in my life

kwikkmaffs

Real name? Hi I'm Tom

Age? 30

How long have you been playing? 3 months

Origin of user name? a stupid meme song (Mans not hot)

Your top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Chris Thatcher, Lars Ulrich, Blake Richardson

Make of drumkit? TKO rack and floor tom, cobalt river marching band tom zip tied to the rack cause I oopsied,
Ludwig kick, yamaha rock tour snare.

Make of cymbal? No name Pearl Hi Hats that's gots to go, Sabian B8 14" thin and 17" crashes, Meinl HSC 20" ride and the ole Zildjan Scimitar crash/ride on the floor that I'm thinking of drilling holes in to make a quick trash out of.

Where do you practice? A spare room in a 2 bedroom apartment in a triplex. Really cool neighbors.

Are you in a band? No but I pretend to do solo stuff.

Do you play covers or originals? Both

What style of music? Metal, folk punk, punk, rock, and jazz has been fascination very recently.

Favourite take out food? Indian, especially NYC style street meat

What country do you live in? Michigan, United States

One really odd fact about yourself? My elementary teachers still talk about me doing the hula, coconuts and all in like 3rd grade.

How did you start drumming? Guy at work sold me a snare, rack, floor and kick for $30 and I've always wanted to play them. A few months and few hundred bucks later, here I am starting to feel ok. Still need some better gear but I'm a hi hat pair away from it and as bad as I am still, I'm swell.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Real name? Hi I'm Tom

Age? 30

How long have you been playing? 3 months

Origin of user name? a stupid meme song (Mans not hot)

Your top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Chris Thatcher, Lars Ulrich, Blake Richardson

Make of drumkit? TKO rack and floor tom, cobalt river marching band tom zip tied to the rack cause I oopsied,
Ludwig kick, yamaha rock tour snare.

Make of cymbal? No name Pearl Hi Hats that's gots to go, Sabian B8 14" thin and 17" crashes, Meinl HSC 20" ride and the ole Zildjan Scimitar crash/ride on the floor that I'm thinking of drilling holes in to make a quick trash out of.

Where do you practice? A spare room in a 2 bedroom apartment in a triplex. Really cool neighbors.

Are you in a band? No but I pretend to do solo stuff.

Do you play covers or originals? Both

What style of music? Metal, folk punk, punk, rock, and jazz has been fascination very recently.

Favourite take out food? Indian, especially NYC style street meat

What country do you live in? Michigan, United States

One really odd fact about yourself? My elementary teachers still talk about me doing the hula, coconuts and all in like 3rd grade.

How did you start drumming? Guy at work sold me a snare, rack, floor and kick for $30 and I've always wanted to play them. A few months and few hundred bucks later, here I am starting to feel ok. Still need some better gear but I'm a hi hat pair away from it and as bad as I am still, I'm swell.

welcome to it from an Ohio guy who could really care less about the Buckeyes!!

my wife is from Trenton...we vacay up near Rose City and South Branch a lot...will retire to MI one day I think. Where R U from?