INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

welcome to it!! looks like you have a ton of awesome gear too. Would be cool to hear and see some of your band's stuff

RangeWalk

Greetings all...

Real name? John
Age? 49
How long have you been playing? This is a tough one... I played as a kid through high school, joined the service for quite a long while (not many opportunities to play) and recently retired. So I'm gonna go with about two years. :p
Origin of user name? "Range walk" is something instructors yell at recruits when they need to move faster on the firing range.
Your top 5 drummers? In no particular order; Danny Carey, Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Gavin Harrison, Steve Gadd.
Make of drumkit? DW Performance Series.
Make of cymbal? Currently Meinl Byzance.
Where do you practice? Home practice space.
Are you in a band? Nope
Do you play covers or originals? I play to whatever I happen to find interesting on iTunes or you tube.
What style of music? Prog rock to listen to and gain inspiration.
Favourite take out food? Thai or Sushi.
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? The music that I enjoy listening to the most isn't necessarily the music that I enjoy playing.
How did you start drumming? My parents made me play the clarinet as a kid, I hated every minute of it and didn't apply myself. Weren't they surprised when I showed up at home with a shiny new Ludwig snare drum and an invoice from the school band teacher.

Maapi

Hi everyone! Decided to join a good ol' discussion forum again because of nostalgia and too much time to kill during my boring office job ?

Real name? Martin
Age? 27
How long have you been playing? 10 years
Origin of user name? How some friends call me, my name + pi is a suffix often added at the end to make a nickname in Japanese
Your top 5 drummers?
Make of drum kit? 99% of drummers in Japan don't have their own kit and so do I, due to lack of space and small apartment problems. I own a Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer snare and Speed Cobra pedals though!
Make of cymbal? Paiste 2002 novo china only
Where do you practice? At practice studios that you can find near every major train station
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? originals
What style of music? Pop Punk, Melodic Punk
Favorite take out food? Kebab
What country do you live in? Raised in Belgium, Japan for the last 5 years
One odd fact about yourself? no idea... I live in Japan but don't like anime? Is that odd?lol
How did you start drumming? Used to play the trumpet from 8 to 17 years old then picked up the drums to be able to make a band with a guitarist friend of mine!

Captain-Paradise

welcome to it!! looks like you have a ton of awesome gear too. Would be cool to hear and see some of your band's stuff
Sorry for the delay in replying.
well you did ask...
Big R Big Band, this is from a swing dance festival in our home city of Bristol
plenty more clips on Youtube, some great ones of dance circles to Sing Sing Sing

If you like a bit of Exotica meets David Lynch then I have a few albums out with Narco Lounge Combo

cannot wait to get back swinging

dr neaux

Great to connect with everyone!
Real name? Derek
Age? 48
How long have you been playing? 35 years
Origin of user name? Was once called 'Dr. No' by a good friend and being from Louisiana, I put a little Cajun flare to it :cool:
Your top 5 drummers? Danny Noe, Buddy Rich, Robert Sweet, Dave Weckl, Oscar Seaton
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Stage Custom, natural wood shells
Make of cymbal? Zildjian A Customs
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? Yes, been playing and rehearsing with a couple of bands
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Gospel/soul and classic rock
Favorite take out food? Not sure I have a favorite
One really odd fact about yourself? I love 80's rock/metal but don't ever play it in bands
How did you start drumming? In church at the ripe old age of 13

Last edited:

jasonsayersdrums

Jason Sayers

How long have you been playing?
Since i was 8 years old.

Origin of user name?
I used this name for my YouTube channel as it is a combination of my real name and favourite instrument.

Your top 5 drummers?
Mike Portnoy
Gavin Harrison
Buddy Rich
Matt Halpern
Mike Mangini

Make of drumkit?
Pearl Export (the final edition with black rims)

Make of cymbal?
Sabian is my preferred brand but i do like Menil also.

Where do you practice?
In my own practise space using my Alesis Crimson II Special Edition

Are you in a band?
Repair To Ruin & temp occasionally for CueCliche.

Do you play covers or originals?
Always originals but occasionally during the 2020 lockdown we got bored and did a couple of covers.

What style of music?
Quite a mixture but mainly Metal, Rock, Ska & Pop Punk.

Favourite take out food?
Pizza

What country do you live in?
United Kingdom

One really odd fact about yourself?
I taught myself guitar and bass just to prove a point when i was 15.

How did you start drumming?
I watched an old ish episode of the muppets in which i always loved Animal as a character. This one particular episode had Buddy Rich playing with Animal and from that point i begged to play drums. I ended up being self taught for the first few years mainly playing on paper plates that i stuck on poles with tape and jammed along to Phil Collins.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Jason Sayers

Since i was 8 years old.

Origin of user name?
I used this name for my YouTube channel as it is a combination of my real name and favourite instrument.

Your top 5 drummers?
Mike Portnoy
Gavin Harrison
Buddy Rich
Matt Halpern
Mike Mangini

Make of drumkit?
Pearl Export (the final edition with black rims)

Make of cymbal?
Sabian is my preferred brand but i do like Menil also.

Where do you practice?
In my own practise space using my Alesis Crimson II Special Edition

Are you in a band?
Repair To Ruin & temp occasionally for CueCliche.

Always originals but occasionally during the 2020 lockdown we got bored and did a couple of covers.

What style of music?
Quite a mixture but mainly Metal, Rock, Ska & Pop Punk.

Favourite take out food?
Pizza

United Kingdom

I taught myself guitar and bass just to prove a point when i was 15.

I watched an old ish episode of the muppets in which i always loved Animal as a character. This one particular episode had Buddy Rich playing with Animal and from that point i begged to play drums. I ended up being self taught for the first few years mainly playing on paper plates that i stuck on poles with tape and jammed along to Phil Collins.

I am old enough to have seen that Muppets episode when it actually first aired. I remember watching it, and my dad - who was NOT a Buddy Rich fan - was saying how that it should have been Gene Krupa instead...I was happy either way because it was drumming!!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Sorry for the delay in replying.
well you did ask...
Big R Big Band, this is from a swing dance festival in our home city of Bristol
plenty more clips on Youtube, some great ones of dance circles to Sing Sing Sing

If you like a bit of Exotica meets David Lynch then I have a few albums out with Narco Lounge Combo

cannot wait to get back swinging
Very cool Ritchie.

Welcome to Drummerworld

Real name?

Matthew Hutchinson

Age?

Since May 2021

Origin of user name?

I wanted to create a unique artist name to build a brand with and I love watching lightning dance among storm clouds. The spelling is my tribute to Neal Peart.

Your top 5 drummers?

Don't really have any. I love the sound of a great beat and admire anyone with great chops, but never idolized anyone in particular.

Make of drum kit?

Alesis Surge

Make of cymbal?

Alesis Surge

Where do you practice?

My Den

Are you in a band?

No.

Neither, yet.

What style of music?

Electronic, New Wave, Hard Rock, Metal, 80's Pop

Favourite takeout food?

Burgers and fries

USA

When I was a toddler, I developed an eye condition called Strabismus, more commonly known as "lazy eye". Early attempts to correct it failed and I've lived with it ever since. I can't use both eyes simultaneously, either. I can control which one I use, but then the other one turns in and I only see what it's looking at as a peripheral image.

I've wanted to make music for as long as I can remember. I started with Classical guitar in 2003 but stopped playing three years later for various reasons. I tried transitioning to Pop/Rock with electric guitar a couple of times over the next several years but never got any real joy out of it. I tried the piano but that didn't last long. Then, there was a most regrettable few weeks with the violin. My wife is especially thankful that didn't last. We like to think of it as my "WTF" period of desperation.

Two months ago, I found myself reflecting on all my favorite songs I've heard throughout my life and thinking about the one thing that has always most strongly appealed to me about them: the drums. I absolutely love a great beat and would really love creating my own. Up to that point, I had never thought of being a drummer but it made the most sense and proved the ideal fit during my first practice session. I was grinning from ear to ear and nearly overcome with emotion the first time I rode the pocket while playing to a click track and I was only doing a 4/4 count with the snare and hi-hat at 80 BPM. No other instrument has ever made me so happy.

I'm taking lessons at Drumeo.com and am an active member of their FB group. I recently decided to find drummers outside of Drumeo's membership to hang with and found this place.

JohnRick

Real name
Rickard

How long have you been playing
About 25 years

Origin of user name
Mashup of my two first names

Your top 5 drummers
Really? Weckl, Colaiuta, Harrison, Garibaldi, Minnemann

Make of drumkit
Premier Genista (x2), Gretsch Renown (x2), Yamaha DTX900

Make of cymbal
Zildjian A Custom, Istanbul Mehmet Traditional

Where do you practice
Mostly at home on my Yamaha. Else in rehearsal space on my Genista.

Are you in a band
Around 3 or 4. Depends on who's counting.

Yes to both

What style of music
Progressive rock, funk, latin, fusion, HM

Favourite take out food?
I don't do take out

Sweden

Rustyholic

Morning All,

Feels strange to be able to post this as I have wasted too many years wondering but never playing. All that has now changed and even as bad as I currently am I have finally joined the drumming community and I am getting quite a kick out of just becoming a member.

Real name?
Andy

Age?

2 years

Origin of user name?
Have a company that repurposes old furniture and junk hence, rusty holic

Your top 5 drummers?
Tricky one that.
Matt Cameron due to my love of Soundgarden & Pearl Jam
Dave Grohl & Taylor Hawkins (Obviously)
Travis Barker
Large Oilrig (for the immense kit if nothing else)
Nick Mason

Make of drumkit?
Pearl Vision Birch 5 piece. Bought it as I only had to drive 1/4 mile up the road. Had a Fame electronic kit to start on so wouldn’t upset the wife and kids. Turns out, the constant monotone clicking of plastic drums is worse than a padded acoustic kit. Kit banned from the house so built my own room in the garage in four days. May post some pics of that build as long as you don’t judge me.

Make of cymbal?
Paiste but cheap starter pack as kit came as shell

Where do you practice?
Drum room garage

Are you in a band?
Not yet. Started looking for equally poor but enthusiastic beginners locally but not a must have at present

Covers

What style of music?
Anything really. Like a lot of new indie stuff as well as the classics. Here’s one. I was listening to Bubbles by Biffy Clyro and it really reminded me of something else which I couldn’t get out of my head. Turned out to be Hollywood Nights by Bob Seger?!! So I play both now

Favourite take out food?
Anything delivered

UK

Have Aspergers which does make me odd to live with

My younger brother has been playing for years and it’s something I have always wanted to do but lacked the self confidence. Don’t know if its just my version of it but Aspergers means I take a long time to build up to anything that involves being on show to the general public and even close family members. I’m not a natural performer but being at the back obscured by drums and cymbals is a compromise that has taken 30 years to finally convince myself is just enough anonymity to get on with it and that’s just to play alone in my garage 😄. Personally, I’m calling it progress.

styledcliff

Real name? Keith

Age? 32

How long have you been playing? A couple years
Origin of user name? Online gamer tag
Your top 5 drummers? Pretty much anyone that can play well
Make of drumkit? Ludwig Element Evolution
16" x 20" kick
14" x14" floor tom
9" x 12" rack tom
8" x 10" rack tom
5" x 14" snare
Pearl exx 16" x16" floor tom
Make of cymbal?
Hi-hat 14" Zildjian a series quick beats
Stagg 10" splash (not sure what series)
paiste 12" splash 900 series
sabian 16" aax concept crash
sabian 17" xsr concept crash
Paiste 20" crash 900 series
Paiste 22" medium ride 900 series
Paiste 16" China 900 series
Where do you practice? in my basement
Are you in a band? Not currently but would like to be eventually
What style of music? Still trying to figure it out
What country do you live in? United States
How did you start drumming? Bought a cheap gammon drum set to see if I liked playing drums

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Welcome to DW Keith-lots of drummers at all stages and ages here. Great resource and community.

jdrums1968

Real name? John Mruk

Age? 52
How long have you been playing? I started in 2001 and I played until 2010. I am starting top play again.

Origin of user name? An old email address

Your top 5 drummers? Ray McKinley, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, Tony Williams

Make of drumkit? I am starting from scratch. All I have is a Go Anywhere Practice Pad set and a pair of sticks. Saving up to get a kit.

Make of cymbal? N/A

Where do you practice? I have a practice room at my house. I am also a clarinet and sax player confined to playing classical and concert music.

Are you in a band? Not playing drums, No.

Do you play covers or originals? I've done a little of both when I was playing.

What style of music? Jazz, mostly, but branching out into rock

Favourite take out food? Chinese

One really odd fact about yourself? I was a clarinet major in school and continue to play classical music. I want to play more than concertos and marches.

How did you start drumming? A friend bought me the CD's BURNING FOR BUDDY Vols. 1 and 2 and I was hooked.

hopper1

Real name? Paul
Age? 59
How long have you been playing? About 10 minutes!
Origin of user name? A shortened version of nickname ‘grasshopper’.
Your top 5 drummers? Cozy Powell, Roger Taylor, Charlie Watts, Taylor Hawkins, Gilson Lavis
Make of drumkit? Remo Mastertouch Ceramics
Make of cymbal? Paste
Where do you practice? Back lounge
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals?….
What style of music? Rock
Favourite take out food? Thai
What country do you live in? England
One really odd fact about yourself? I can move my eyes independent of each other.
How did you start drumming? Just up and bought a kit!!!

Last edited:

SomeBadDrummer

I am also a clarinet and sax player confined to playing classical and concert music.
What confines you to these genres?
What style of music? Jazz, mostly, but branching out into rock
Rock is mostly 4 on the floor compared to jazz which is more 3 on the tree with a hitch in the giddeup 🏇, so the transition should be a breeze.

Am I responding to a really old thread? :unsure:

Normandy_Drums

How long have you been playing: Since 1992.
Origin of user name: Email address.
Your top 5 drummers: Stewart, Keith, Neil, Elvin, JP. (There are tons more)
Make of drumkit: Drum Workshop Jazz Series and Pearl Crystal Beat
Make of cymbal: Zildjian
Where do you practice: In my head and in the basement.
Are you in a band: Yes, more than one.
Do you play covers or originals: Our own material.
What style of music: The rock and roll variety.
Favourite take out food: Thai.
What country do you live in: USA
One really odd fact about yourself: I’m very tall (but that’s not odd)
How did you start drumming: school band, mtv and a love for music.

Neal Pert

Huh, I never did this.

Real name? Mark
Age? 53
How long have you been playing? Since 1973
Origin of user name? It irritated some people on DFO to see Peart's name misspelled, so...
Your top 5 drummers? Brian Blade, Matt Chamberlain, Elvin, Levon Helm, Glenn Kotche
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Absolute Hybrid Maple
Make of cymbal? Paiste, mostly Masters and 2002. Big Beats.
Where do you practice? Mostly at home, soundproofed basement room
Are you in a band? Yes, 3 these days: Two indie-ish rock bands and my own jazz trio
Do you play covers or originals? Originals.
What style of music? I've played a bit of everything over the years but now mostly rock and jazz.
Favourite take out food? Just about anything "Asian"-- Japanese, Thai, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian, etc.
What country do you live in? Murrca.
One really odd fact about yourself? I am a clergy person.
How did you start drumming? Lessons at age 5.