INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

nicholasBR

Greetings all!

Real name? Nicholas
Age? 45
How long have you been playing? Very intermittently since 1989
Origin of user name? It's just my name
Your top 5 drummers? Lombardo, Appice, Bruford, Rudd, Smith
Make of drum kit? Roland electric kit right now
Make of cymbal? -
Where do you practice? At home
Are you in a band? No. Plans are afoot though
Do you play covers or originals? It'll be covers
What style of music? Thrash
Favorite take out food? Indian
What country do you live in? Ireland
One odd fact about yourself? I'm Irish but I don't drink
How did you start drumming? I started playing as a kid, but never really learned properly. Played again when I was in college in terrible, terrible bands. Back to it again now after years and years of neglect and making a concerted effort to learn the instrument and play actual music! I hope I can contribute on here, but I'm really here to ask lots and lots of questions.

Black page

I signed up a couple of years ago, but was not really active. Time to change that and to reintroduce myself...

René van der Stel, age 47, favourite drummers Vinnie, Jeff, Carlos Vega ie. any drummer with great groove and technique.

Captain-Paradise

Real name? Richie Paradise-Williams
Age? 48
How long have you been playing? 22 years
Origin of user name? I used to be a Captain....of a cricket team
Your top 5 drummers? Joe Morello, Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, John Convertino (Calexico), Jon Wright (No Means No)
Make of drumkit? Rogers 72 Fullerton for my swing big band, 60s Slingerland for jazz/blues, Premier Artist Heritage for 1920s/30s
Make of cymbal? Mainly K Zildjians & A. Zildjian and Cies, and Istanbul Mel Lewis
Where do you practice? At home, thick of walls and good neighbours
Are you in a band? Several. My own 16 piece big swing band (Big R Big Band), a few smaller swing bands, a 1920s band, a Jive band, and a Tiki/Exotica band (Narco Lounge Combo).
Do you play covers or originals? All old charts apart from Narco Lounge Combo who are 99% original.
What style of music? I'm bet known for playing Swing.
Favourite take out food? Indian/Sri Lankan
What country do you live in? England
One really odd fact about yourself? I only grew my pencil thin moustache for a party and it's stayed with me for over a decade.
How did you start drumming? Saw a school band playing & thought I wanna do that, someone lent me a drum kit and it stuck. I really only wanted to sing :)

Looking forward to discovering some great stuff form this site.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

welcome to it!! looks like you have a ton of awesome gear too. Would be cool to hear and see some of your band's stuff

RangeWalk

Greetings all...

Real name? John
Age? 49
How long have you been playing? This is a tough one... I played as a kid through high school, joined the service for quite a long while (not many opportunities to play) and recently retired. So I'm gonna go with about two years. :p
Origin of user name? "Range walk" is something instructors yell at recruits when they need to move faster on the firing range.
Your top 5 drummers? In no particular order; Danny Carey, Neil Peart, Phil Collins, Gavin Harrison, Steve Gadd.
Make of drumkit? DW Performance Series.
Make of cymbal? Currently Meinl Byzance.
Where do you practice? Home practice space.
Are you in a band? Nope
Do you play covers or originals? I play to whatever I happen to find interesting on iTunes or you tube.
What style of music? Prog rock to listen to and gain inspiration.
Favourite take out food? Thai or Sushi.
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? The music that I enjoy listening to the most isn't necessarily the music that I enjoy playing.
How did you start drumming? My parents made me play the clarinet as a kid, I hated every minute of it and didn't apply myself. Weren't they surprised when I showed up at home with a shiny new Ludwig snare drum and an invoice from the school band teacher.

Maapi

Hi everyone! Decided to join a good ol' discussion forum again because of nostalgia and too much time to kill during my boring office job ?

Real name? Martin
Age? 27
How long have you been playing? 10 years
Origin of user name? How some friends call me, my name + pi is a suffix often added at the end to make a nickname in Japanese
Your top 5 drummers?
Make of drum kit? 99% of drummers in Japan don't have their own kit and so do I, due to lack of space and small apartment problems. I own a Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer snare and Speed Cobra pedals though!
Make of cymbal? Paiste 2002 novo china only
Where do you practice? At practice studios that you can find near every major train station
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? originals
What style of music? Pop Punk, Melodic Punk
Favorite take out food? Kebab
What country do you live in? Raised in Belgium, Japan for the last 5 years
One odd fact about yourself? no idea... I live in Japan but don't like anime? Is that odd?lol
How did you start drumming? Used to play the trumpet from 8 to 17 years old then picked up the drums to be able to make a band with a guitarist friend of mine!

Captain-Paradise

welcome to it!! looks like you have a ton of awesome gear too. Would be cool to hear and see some of your band's stuff
Sorry for the delay in replying.
well you did ask...
Big R Big Band, this is from a swing dance festival in our home city of Bristol
plenty more clips on Youtube, some great ones of dance circles to Sing Sing Sing

If you like a bit of Exotica meets David Lynch then I have a few albums out with Narco Lounge Combo

cannot wait to get back swinging

dr neaux

Great to connect with everyone!
Real name? Derek
Age? 48
How long have you been playing? 35 years
Origin of user name? Was once called 'Dr. No' by a good friend and being from Louisiana, I put a little Cajun flare to it :cool:
Your top 5 drummers? Danny Noe, Buddy Rich, Robert Sweet, Dave Weckl, Oscar Seaton
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Stage Custom, natural wood shells
Make of cymbal? Zildjian A Customs
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? Yes, been playing and rehearsing with a couple of bands
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Gospel/soul and classic rock
Favorite take out food? Not sure I have a favorite
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I love 80's rock/metal but don't ever play it in bands
How did you start drumming? In church at the ripe old age of 13

Last edited: