INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

tfgretsch

Hi everyone! I used this forum when I was just starting out drumming on a kit. Brought my old set from my parent's house to my new home recently to try to get back into it. I've spent years feeling like I wasn't "good enough" as a drummer, even when I knew I was pretty good. This perfectionism even kept me from playing at some points. I want to start up the hobby again and try to have more fun instead of being so critical of myself.

Real name? Kelly
Age? 31
How long have you been playing? 20 years on and off
Origin of user name? trying to be clever
Your top drummers? Stella Mozgawa, Brian Chase, Travis Barker, Buddy Rich, Jose Pasillas, Chad Smith, Dave Grohl, John Bonham
Make of drumkit? I've owned Gretsch, Mapex, Pearl, Roland
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Sabian, whatever sounds good
Where do you practice? home
Are you in a band? not right now but hope to be
Do you play covers or originals? both
What style of music? alt. rock
Favourite take out food? Mexican
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I studied amphibian disease ecology for my masters
How did you start drumming? Started when I chose to join percussion my first year of middle school
Welcome Kelly,glad you are back playing drums again, i went through the not good enough phase also. eveen now when people give me compliments i try to down play it.Just try not to go there! practice,play with as many people as possible, record yourself ,have fun and most of all LISTEN to the song when you play

tfgretsch

Real name? Nicolas
Age? 37
How long have you been playing? 10 years on and off
Origin of user name? My real name, lol
Your top drummers? Neil Peart, Chad Smith, Matt Sorum, Stewart Copeland
Where do you practice? home
Are you in a band? Nope
Do you play covers or originals? Covers
What style of music? alt. rock / hard rock / metal
Favourite take out food? BBQ and french fries
What country do you live in? Uruguay, a tiny country in South America
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm left handed and I have broken up my two wrists playing soccer but still I'm being able to play I think
How did you start drumming? Don't remember exactly. I have always felt this "drive" towards percussion instruments and the like.
WElcome Nicolas

tfgretsch

Mike Moody, Brown County Indiana, 73
I've played drums for 59 years, my bands mates called me moodman in highschool, name stuck over the years.
Top 5: ones I copied over the years Sandy Nelson, Krupa, Ringo, Purdy, Ferrone, Robbie MacIntosh
I've been in a bunch of bands, backed some good folks. I'm a decent key player and sing lead and harmony and write and arrange songs.
Odd fact: I've been chased down by a police helicopter, pushed out of military helicopter
Noble&Cooley CD Maples, Sawtooth Bop and Rogers Memriloc, Black Beauty and N&C SSClassic snares, Zildjians
I started drumming after hearing Walk, Don't Run drum break, realized I could do it, then heard the drum breakdown in Get A Job by the Sillouettes, same but swung. My aunt Eva (her husband had been a drummer) heard me say I wanted to be a drummer, at her house. She went to her kitchen towel rack, pulled out 2 stick-sized dowels and I had sticks. I played along to the radio on the arm of a chair. When I put a hole in the chair arm, I got a 4x14 Ludwig Downbeat.
here's some fun at a forum fest a few years ago, playing Chris Jensens luddy's

WELCOME

tfgretsch

Real name? Christie
Age? 31
How long have you been playing? 2+ months (lol)
Origin of user name? the song by Joe Strummer!
Your top 5 drummers? Kim HeeKwon (formerly of Galaxy Express), Dolly (No Brain), Lee SangHyuk (Crying Nut)...sorry I'm new to all of this, so these are the guys that I have actually paid attention to their drumming
Make of drumkit? varies (most people don't have their own kit here and instead just use what's at the practice room or venue)
Make of cymbal? varies (see above)
Where do you practice? a drum school in Seoul
Are you in a band? no
Do you play covers or originals? covers since I've only just started
What style of music? playing classic rock (so much Bon Jovi...) but want to play punk
Favourite take out food? pad thai, pizza, salads
What country do you live in? South Korea
One really odd fact about yourself? I have won national sports championships (hurling & Gaelic football) on 2 continents
How did you start drumming? I used to play music (guitar, flute) in high school but have mobility issues with my fingers (broken often due to being a goalkeeper in soccer) so had to quit . When I moved to the artsy area of Seoul (Hongdae), I was going to live shows every friday/sat/sunday night and just got fixated on drumming because I thought it was something I'd be good at (lol). I also noticed that a lot of bands share drummers. Covid hit and all live shows were canceled, but all the schools and practice rooms are still open, so I jumped at the opportunity to learn...maybe by the time we have live shows again I'll be in a band...haha...
WELCOME

Guttermouth

Real name? Gaz
Age? 36
How long have you been playing? Some weeks (on and off)
Origin of user name? Punk
Your top 5 drummers? Don't really have any.
Make of drumkit? Millenium
Make of cymbal? None, they are cheap E-drums, LOL
Where do you practice? Bedroom
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? N/A
What style of music? N/A
Favourite take out food? Fish and Chips
What country do you live in? England
One really odd fact about yourself? I've never been on a date
How did you start drumming? Covid-19 lockdown 'hobby'

Managed to buy a cheap e-drum kit during the lockdown (don't ask) and have been 'playing some weeks'. I can't play anything. Though I seem to be playing what I have discovered is called 'open handed' (I'm actually right handed but automatically just started hitting the hi-hat with my nearest left hand). I don't know if that's good or bad.

Real name? Robert
Age? 52
How long have you been playing? 3 years
Origin of user name? The movie Rob Roy
Your top 5 drummers? Brian Downey, Phil Collins, John Bonham, Greg Bissonette, Gil Sharrone
Make of drumkit? Pearl BLX in Sequoia Red
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, Paiste & Sabian
Where do you practice? At home.
Are you in a band? No but I jam as much as I can.
Do you play covers or originals? Both.
What style of music? Varied. Reggae, Blues, Rock, Pop
Favourite take out food? Steak n Cheese Pie
What country do you live in? New Zealand
One really odd fact about yourself? I play guitar right handed and drums left handed/footed.
How did you start drumming? My friends and I swap instruments when we jam but I couldnt take my turn on the drums. So when I got a payment from my work 3 yrs ago I bought a drum set. Now I play left handed and supply the drum therefore I get to stay on the drums permanently! :)

Neilage

Real name? Neil
Age? 52
How long have you been playing? Age 10 to 23 -- from 19 to 23, I played in a bar band in Athens, GA while @ college -- long absence/marriage/kids -- picked it up again 5 years ago.
Origin of user name? Nickname I picked up from friends in college
Your top 5 drummers? James Gadson, Hal Blaine, Danny Carey, Ringo, Danny Seraphine.
Next 5 drummers? Bonham, Keith Moon, Charlie Watts, Jeff Porcaro, Joe Morello.
Make of drumkit? 2 up,1 down piano black Gretsch Renown RN2. 1991 LM402 Supra snare. Tama Artwood birch snare.
Make of cymbal? Paiste (602 Classic Sounds, Signature Full, PST7, PSTX)
Where do you practice? The spare bedroom of my single-family home.
Are you in a band? Not yet.
Do you play covers or originals? Either.
What style of music? Jazz, Funk, Bossa Nova, Standards, Classic Rock, Alternative.
Favourite take out food? Mediterranean.
What country do you live in? USA/Atlanta suburbs.
One really odd fact about yourself? My dream is to form/join a wedding/bar mitzvah band.
How did you start drumming? From an early age, I was always drawn to the drums in popular music. Once I heard Peter Criss play 70's KISS, I was hooked. I got my 1st practice pad in 4th grade and a student Acrolite soon followed. For my 12th birthday, my folks got me a 2nd hand red sparkle 4 piece mystery kit with no badges. The wraps were peeling at the seams, but to this day, it is my favorite present I have ever gotten. I also got some Paiste 404 hi-hats, and my grade school band teacher gave me two old heavy, concert cymbals that I used for a ride and crash.

Hello All. Is there a questionnare form to use to introduce myself. Just joined the Forum today. Stumbled upon the site as I was inquiring about " chattering " when hitting the kick drum pedal against the batter head. I'm 68 years old, and after a 50 hiatus from playing (if that is what you can call it), I have returned for the fun of it. I love music , My Music, and I am so very glad that my wife of 45 years gifted me a cheap starter set to commence playing again. God Bless her !!! I'm on the road to retirement and have physical limitations of spinal issues which affect certain physicality movements. Regards to all, stay safe. Let me know about the full Resume that I should post .

Good Karma

Hello All. Is there a questionnare form to use to introduce myself. Just joined the Forum today. Stumbled upon the site as I was inquiring about " chattering " when hitting the kick drum pedal against the batter head. I'm 68 years old, and after a 50 hiatus from playing (if that is what you can call it), I have returned for the fun of it. I love music , My Music, and I am so very glad that my wife of 45 years gifted me a cheap starter set to commence playing again. God Bless her !!! I'm on the road to retirement and have physical limitations of spinal issues which affect certain physicality movements. Regards to all, stay safe. Let me know about the full Resume that I should post .
Welcome to Drummerworld

How long have you been playing: About 1 year after a 50 year Hiatus
Origin of user name: The Country Croatia
Your top 5 drummers: Baker[ the King of Syncopation] , Moon [he made drums "sing"] , Copeland, Bonham [What can you say], The Neil man [ Until I got back into music did I really appreciate how great he was] , and throw in Dino Danelli (Rascals - he was the first with showmanship and flair), and of course, Buddy Rich [watch some of the Johnnie Carson reruns with him......Frightening speed and agility, no matter what music you may enjoy].
Make of drumkit: uuuuhhhh a cheap starter kit - Gammon (gift from my wife as I head to retirement for rekindling the Drumming flame)
Make of cymbal: wrestling with selecting Meinl Bronze , or Sabian B8Xs, or Zidjian I series.
Where do you practice: My Basment
Are you in a band: NO , 50 years ago at age 18 a garage band that never left the garage !
Do you play covers or originals: I play MY music and play along with it.
What style of music: 60's , 70's and some 80's Rock / Country Rock (mostly I'm in the Woodstock era stuff)
Favourite take out food: Pizza, no Junk Food , occassionally Pheasant Under Glass :):)
What country do you live in: USA!!
One really odd fact about yourself: Tend to get Obsessive about things... {i. e. selecting my new upgraded cymbals}
How did you start drumming: Loved music as a young teenager, I knew I would not be able to play guitar, but had a good Ear for the Drums.

New Member joined about 3 weeks ago.

Real name? Robert
Age? 62
How long have you been playing? 3 weeks
Origin of user name? I live in Brampton, Ontario Canada
Your top 5 drummers? Buddy Rich, Ringo, Charlie Watts, Roger Taylor and Phil Collins
Make of drumkit? Tama Superstar Classic Maple
Make of cymbal? Dream Ignition
Where do you practice? Hone
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? When I learn to play, I’ll let you know. For now TBD
What style of music? Rock, POP
Favourite take out food? BBQ Chicken/Ribs
What country do you live in? Canada
One really odd fact about yourself? Only time I’ve ever touched a drum kit was about 50 years ago for 20 minutes. The little boys band I was in the drummer wanted to try my guitar, I wanted to play Wipeout! We both decided we’d be better off with our own instruments!
How did you start drumming? Woke up a couple of months ago, sold some of my guitars and decided at age 62 that I wanted to play drums. I’ve played guitar and keyboards since my teens.

Yamaha Rider

Welcome. I've had a Millenium kit for years - and I still think it sounds amazingly good for the money. The module finally packed up last winter and I tried a Yamaha module. Hated it!
My advice is get at least a handful of lessons - real ones if poss. They'll set you on the right path and that's priceless.
If you are limited to onlne lessons - look up Mike Barnes on youtube - the most enthusiastic teacher ever! He's damn good too.

Odowalt

Real name? Viktor
Age? 33
How long have you been playing? About 15 years, 8 years more seriously
Origin of user name? My dad shouting out ye olde sounding names
Your top 5 drummers? Stewart Copeland, Benny Greb, Mario Duplantier, Proscriptor, Daniel Liljekvist
Make of drumkit? Tama
Make of cymbal? Paiste
Where do you practice? Basement + music studio
Are you in a band? Yes: Bones (death metal: https://www.facebook.com/Bones-Death-Metal-148871445266066/) & Hetze (punk: https://www.facebook.com/HETZEHETZE/)
Do you play covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? I listen to everything and play mainly heavy stuff, but recently started to try brushes
Favourite take out food? French (BELGIAN) fries
What country do you live in? Belgium
One really odd fact about yourself? Can read upside down as fast as right side up
How did you start drumming? Wanted to play in a band

Griffin

Real name? Mark
Age? 29
How long have you been playing? 16 years
Origin of user name? It’s my last name
Your top 5 drummers? Copeland, Bonham, Beauford, Starr, Phil Collins
Make of drumkit? Yamaha (formerly Tama)
Make of cymbal? Paiste
Where do you practice? Home and in and old Timbermill
Are you in a band? Yes
Do you play covers or originals? Originals
What style of music? Pop/rock/indie
Favourite take out food? Chinese
What country do you live in? Australia
One really odd fact about yourself? Not sure if it’s odd but I’ve never broken a bone.
How did you start drumming? Always wanted to play, started getting lessons in High School, use to play at church a lot and then just jamming with mates.

Al Strange

The first "Introduction" thread lasted six years (!), went for 61 pages, had thousands of posts, and as of today had over one hundred and eighty thousand views. Time to put the old girl out to pasture. This is the new "Introduction" thread. Let's see if it makes it another six years!

*************************************************​

Welcome to the DrummerWorld forum. Please use this thread to introduce yourself. Answer the following questions (all optional), and let us know about you.

Real name?
Age?
How long have you been playing?
Origin of user name?
Your top 5 drummers?
Make of drumkit?
Make of cymbal?
Where do you practice?
Are you in a band?
Do you play covers or originals?
What style of music?
Favourite take out food?
What country do you live in?
One really odd fact about yourself?
How did you start drumming?

Copy and paste these questions into your reply and let's learn about each other.
Hi all

This is my first foray into online forums, and have to say after hanging out for a couple of days, I think I picked the best one!

Real name? Al
Age? 48
How long have you been playing? 32yrs
Origin of user name? It’s my stage name!
Your top 5 drummers? Aside from Buddy Rich: Stewart Copeland, Rod Morgenstein, Thomas Lang, Deen Castronovo, Virgil Donati
Honourable mentions, Aynsley Dunbar, Tommy Aldridge, Billy Cobham, Cozy Powell, Dennis Chambers & Simon Phillips...and many, many more!
Make of drumkit? White Premier Gen X (recording), Pearl Export (gigging)...snares by Premier (x2), Tama, Pearl and Gretsch.
Make of cymbal? Mainly Paiste, with a sprinkling of Sabian & Meinl.
Where do you practice? Home.
Are you in a band? Not at the moment due to domestic responsibilities. Previously played in the band Evilyn Strange with my twin brother Phill for 20 years!
Do you play covers or originals? Evilyn Strange was (and still is) all originals.
What style of music? Hard Rock/metal
Favourite take out food? Greggs’ vegan sausage rolls!
What country do you live in? UK
One really odd fact about yourself? I’m right handed but left footed, which possibly helped me pick up double bass quite quickly (with a lot of help from Rod Morgenstein’s book and cassette!).
How did you start drumming? Casually walked into a drum class whilst studying art at college and was blown away by the teacher, Eric Hammond, who just so happened to be a drum god. He also taught Ged Lynch of Peter Gabriel fame! Been hooked ever since!

Here’s me with a certain Mr Donati after a clinic:

396D66A3-288F-4D9E-BF8E-BEFCFCFBBA75.jpeg38A08B1D-9599-44F6-9D74-16D365CF9592.jpeg

AZDRUMZ

Real name? Brayden
Age? 18
How long have you been playing? 5 years
Origin of user name? Drummer from Prescott AZ
Your top 5 drummers? Gabe helguera (i prevail) matt Ochoa (Dirty heads) Joey Jordison (ex slipknot) john bonham (led Zepplin) Travis Barker (blink 182)
Make of drumkit? Mapex
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? My bedroom
Are you in a band? still looking :/
Do you play covers or originals? both
What style of music? nu metal, ska, hip-hop, reggae, rock.
Favourite take out food? pizza
What country do you live in? USA baby
One really odd fact about yourself? My kit is named Pedro
How did you start drumming? i wanted to get my old junk kit our from storage and start playing the drums

Trommelmonsterbvb

Real name - Alex
Age - 34
How long have you been playing - roughly 18/19 Years, but with extended breaks
Origin of user name - something people throw my way, because I have severe drumming touretts where I play rudiments on any surface that will make a sound, including myself. It also has the addition BVB, which is just the sports team that I support, I might have made an account on here roughly a decade ago, so I had to add that.
Your top 5 drummers - based on personal Influence and in no particular order. Joey Jordison, Fredrik Andersson, J P Gaster, George Kollias and Mike Johnston (last one is an online Teacher who had massive impact on my Life and drumming so I cant leave him out)
Make of drumkit - Yamaha
Make of cymbal - Paiste
Where do you practice - in a converted WWII Bunker or at home
Are you in a band - yes
Do you play covers or originals - played Covers in the very beginning to "get to know each other" but after that originals only
What style of music - Melodic Heavy Metal
Favourite take out food - Pizza or Burger
What country do you live in - Germany
One really odd fact about yourself - I have been a competitive swimmer and am a trained Lifeguard
How did you start drumming - Friends of mine had a band and the drummer wanted to switch to bass, so they asked me to fill the spot.

Last edited:

doggyd69b

Real name - Arturo
Age - 50 next Monday
How long have you been playing - roughly 32/34 Years, but with extended breaks
Origin of user name - I like dogs so doggy was a username but Yahoo decided to add the rest so I kept it.
Your top 5 drummers - I don't particularly care for flashy drummers I rather see someone serving the song but I am lately listening to a lot of death metal... I do like speed but with skill and precision. David Diepold is one current drummer I am listening to but there are others like Baard Kolstad.
Make of drumkit - Premier, PDP, Roland
Make of cymbal - Ziljian, Meinl, Whuan, Roland, Alesis, Pintech.
Where do you practice - I don't practice...ever. I play along to songs I like sometimes but due to work I spend very little time on the kit. (currently deployed so even less).
Are you in a band - Not at the moment but I have been in several.
Do you play covers or originals - played originals in the very beginning but after that mostly covers.
What style of music - initially heavy metal then some sort of punk speed metal mix and then more metal.
Favourite take out food - I don't care about food I eat because I have to (says my wife who was a chef)...
What country do you live in - USA
One really odd fact about yourself - I can read about 5 times faster than most people.
How did you start drumming - My grandfather bought me a drum when I was 5 (I had the drum for a day and somehow it disappeared) I guess ever since I started being interested in drums, I used to listen to music and after I learned the components of a drum kit (bass snare toms, cymbals) I would bang on cardboard boxes following along the song and eventually actually knew how to play it. (I was about 12 when I did that) I bought my first kit when I was 18 I was really poor so I got a very shitty used Ludwig which sounded awful but hey I had a kit. I can now afford most any kit I want but I don't have as much time as I would like.

Trinidrummer_20

Greeting everyone. It's my first time on this form, and i'm already seeing seeing other obsessed drummers like myself so that's good lol. Hope I can share and learn as much as I can.

How long have you been playing :1 year

Origin of user name: Being a drummer from Trinidad.

Your top 5 drummers:Tory Roster Jr, Larnell Lewis, Matt Garstka, Juan Carlito Mendoza, Thomas Pridgen.

Make of drumkit :Tama star maple.

Make of cymbal: Zildjin A Custom.

Where do you practice:Everywhere!.

Are you in a band:Yes.

Do you play covers or originals:Working on that.

What style of music:Soca,Jazz,RnB,Hiphop,Latin and Rock.

Favourite take out food:KFC.

What country do you live in:Trinidad and Tobago.

One really odd fact about yourself:I got freckles on my hands

How did you start drumming:Listening to my friends shedding.