Intriguingly difficult feels

I guess everybody has experienced something like this: hearing a song that doesn't sound that hard but when you try to match the drum part, you realize that it's not so easy. So please share songs that surprised you. :)
I think Steve Ferrone plays on this one. Not sure why, but it was pretty hard for me when learning it some years ago:
This one's programmed - don't know if the hi hat or shaker is sampled as a whole or programmed note by note. I find the lilt and smooth sound of it pretty hard to replicate, especially with the placement of the backbeat:
A similar beat by Hi-Tek that's a tad slower:

Ransan

Ahh the intro or first 20 seconds to The Party’s Over (Hopelessly in Love) by Journey. I can’t play but then again I think this is one of Steve Smith’s most complex work from Journey - hands down.
Starts off on the 1 and does a great job of playing hard to get from there.

Ransan

The Wizard by Black Sabbath.
Buttery flow yet choppy feel that is very hard to mimic, especially the seemingly delayed musical parts/fills from Mr. Ward are it’s own intrigue of the song.
Bill Ward is a beast!

Last edited:

NouveauCliche

I guess everybody has experienced something like this: hearing a song that doesn't sound that hard but when you try to match the drum part, you realize that it's not so easy. So please share songs that surprised you. :)
I think Steve Ferrone plays on this one. Not sure why, but it was pretty hard for me when learning it some years ago:
This one's programmed - don't know if the hi hat or shaker is sampled as a whole or programmed note by note. I find the lilt and smooth sound of it pretty hard to replicate, especially with the placement of the backbeat:
If you like those bottom two a lot - you should check out Oneup Drum Videos on instagram. (He has youtube videos and stuff too, but his best and most relevant content is on his instagram page).

He does live version of like all the Dilla tracks that have that swingy delay produced thing....man it's awesome to see someone do it live.

You'd dig it - I know I do!!

MntnMan62

I've never been able to get the beginning lick that Gadd does here. It's so smooth and slick. And watching him do it live you would think it shouldn't be so difficult. I think I'll give it another go using this video as my guide. Who knows. Maybe an old dog can learn a new trick.

brentcn

Platinum Member
Love this. The trick is to play those backbeats earlier than you normally would.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
What Tony Williams plays on Lopsy Lu is hard to maintain, and play creatively. Brighter triplet funk feels generally are kind of hard-- like Stevie Wonder / Higher Ground.

Those are actually close in tempo to, and somewhat similar feels as:

"Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears.
Also: Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.

The Wizard by Black Sabbath.
I made a loop from that one, that's a lot of fun to practice with.

If you like those bottom two a lot - you should check out Oneup Drum Videos on instagram. (He has youtube videos and stuff too, but his best and most relevant content is on his instagram page).

He does live version of like all the Dilla tracks that have that swingy delay produced thing....man it's awesome to see someone do it live.

You'd dig it - I know I do!!
Thanks, I'll have a look - Dilla's time is certainly elusive. I loved his record on BBE when it came out - still holds up well. Some more videos in the spoiler for people that like Hip Hop:
One of my favorites from last year is this album - a cool triplet groove in this one:
This one's also not so easy to not turn into a slop fest for me. Probably because the drums are so laid back compared to the rap:
Great suggestions all around - thanks for the recommended listening!

hawksmoor

We’ve come full circle from the OP to Ain’t Nobody by Rufus & Chaka Khan. Though to be fair, I’ve never found JR Robinson’s drum part particularly easy. I can do it, but it took a good while of woodshedding to get the hi-hat openings on the chorus.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
There are a lot of those. Yeah, 50 Ways never sounds like Steve.

Learning from our heroes, give it our all and then embrace our own style I feel is the most important, though. That's what our heroes did. They're all unique and that's why we love them.