Interview with Bermuda

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
!!!!

Hope I sounded okay! I'm doing something with LATalkRadio soon, and there's an NPR special on Al where I get a bit of airtime.

Bermuda

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Hi Bermuda

Interesting idea with your clinics, focusing on getting the career rather than teaching drums. How does it go over with the people who come to see you? I have to admit that if I attended a clinic I'd like to pick up some kit tricks along with the career tricks - but maybe that's just me?

I guess you're thinking that there are plenty of players who can chop like mad but not too many who know how to turn their skills into a career.

Looking forward to the Lady Gaga parody *grin*

Moktie

!!!!

Hope I sounded okay! I'm doing something with LATalkRadio soon, and there's an NPR special on Al where I get a bit of airtime.

Bermuda
Very well spoken sir. I wouldn't typical listen to much talk radio programs, but I found it a very interesting listen. That's cool to have such a consistent gig...Happy 29th.

bermuda

Staff member
Interesting idea with your clinics, focusing on getting the career rather than teaching drums. How does it go over with the people who come to see you?
That's an old concept of mine, since 'clinics' have somehow evolved into little more than drum performances. Entertaining perhaps, but the audience doesn't walk away with anything useful. Most pros say nothing about the business, and those who say anything at all keep it very brief... so they can get back to playing.

In my "Real World" clinic, I'm mostly in front of the kit, discussing the business of being a drummer: learning and growing as a player, handling auditions, working in the studio, touring, finances & taxes, professional attitudes, endorsements, and other aspects of being a working musician. No other clinics focus on these things, yet it's some of the most practical and important information an ambitious drummer needs to know. I discuss equipment, sounds, technology, and I do play a little bit.

It goes over very well, and while there's a lot of topics to cover, I've got it down to 60-90 minutes, depending on q&a.

Right now I don't have any clinics scheduled, and because I'm not a 'clinician' with any of the companies I endorse, I can't just arrange clinics with stores and expect to be compensated for travel (not to mention something for me!) So sponsorship is a little bit of an issue.

But if you search my posts and check my endorsement FAQ (www.bermudaschwartz.com/endorsement) you can assemble a lot of what I talk about in the clinic. None of it is really a secret... it's just that it never gets discussed in-depth in clinics.

Bermuda

bermuda

Staff member
I'd love to do it, but coordinating a store to host a clinic where the companies are probably not going to contribute (at the end of a bad year and with a non-clinician artist) is going to be difficult.

If you've got a local store who's an authorized Ludwig, Sabian, Evans, Vic Firth and Trick dealer, and they can talk the companies into paying for it, I'll be there!

Bermuda

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I'd love to do it, but coordinating a store to host a clinic where the companies are probably not going to contribute (at the end of a bad year and with a non-clinician artist) is going to be difficult.

If you've got a local store who's an authorized Ludwig, Sabian, Evans, Vic Firth and Trick dealer, and they can talk the companies into paying for it, I'll be there!

Bermuda
So what ever happened to those Impact drums anyway? LOL.

Anyhow, sounds like a nice clinic. I have to admit, I stopped getting excited about clinics a while back, because so many are just "watch me show off my chops."

bermuda

Staff member
So what ever happened to those Impact drums anyway? LOL.

Anyhow, sounds like a nice clinic. I have to admit, I stopped getting excited about clinics a while back, because so many are just "watch me show off my chops."
I leave the chops to the good drummers. Best I can do is talk about playing 9 out of 10 gigs, and how that fits in with a 30+ year career in music.

I still have 4 Impact kits, on loan to friends and relatives. They still sound great, and I still endorse Impact's bags & cases.

Bermuda

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I leave the chops to the good drummers. Best I can do is talk about playing 9 out of 10 gigs, and how that fits in with a 30+ year career in music.

I still have 4 Impact kits, on loan to friends and relatives. They still sound great, and I still endorse Impact's bags & cases.
Heh, you can't readily say it so I'll say it for you. You leave the chops to the freaks and legends. If you're not a good drummer then most of us are in deep doo-doos :)

I made my earlier comment because I always enjoy - in any show/event - some elements that can be enjoyed on a visceral level. Good that you are obviously more interested in helping than showing off, though.

Trip McNealy

Gold Member

Bermuda
My store out in NJ is a dealer in all of that (Trick I have to check) and would be a 5-star drum shop if it didn't have it it's "guitar wing" attached lol.. I will talk to their manager as well Bermuda!

Your career knowledge and anything else you share (and have shared here on DW) is invaluable to me.

Dom

bermuda

Staff member
Thanks Trip, and the shop doesn't have to carry all of those brands, but it sure helps in covering expenses. Those planes and hotels don't pay for themselves, not to mention leaving a nickel for me!

Ideally, the store should coordinate with the companies, but as I pointed out, 'clinician budgets' are thin at the end of the year, and I'm not really a clinician in their eyes anyway.

Bermuda