Internet sales tax

johnwesley

Silver Member
Really ticks me off. Like the states and feds aren't taking enough of our money. Here in Arizona, sales tax is close to 10 percent. So when I buy or sell in other states with sales tax the price of stuff goes way up. Makes it really tough to sell a $300 snare drum when the tax is added and you add shipping, then ebay takes it's 13%. And if you incorporate that into your asking price, your item is now priced more than the market threshold. Damn!! Anyone else ticked off, or am I alone in this universe? AAAARRRGGGHHHH

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, that's the price of commerce when using certain platforms. Facebook groups and forums like this (where the transaction & payment aren't processed online) are quickly becoming more favorable places to buy and sell.

Bermuda

dboomer

What’s different than if you just went to a store in your hometown? I’m sure their overhead is more than 13% and the sales tax goes for the road you drove on to get there (or the bus you took).

There’s no free lunch 😁

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I stay away from Ebay for selling. I use Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Most of the items I buy and sell are local deals for the very reason that people want to look at what is being sold. 13% seems like a pretty high commision. The least they could do is cut a deal if you use PayPal since that is owned by eBay.

johnwesley

Silver Member
Yeah 13% is high with appx 3% of that being PayPal. Add the 9-10% Arizona sales tax and someone wanting to buy something from me on ebay, I'm looking at 23% less take home than my asking price. If I jack the price to make up for it, the item I'm selling is below the market value. Same is true if I see something I want to buy. Oh well, it is what it is.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
I was one of those who just didn’t know internet sales tax had become a thing. I stay away from pretty much all news media to save my sanity. I suppose this was a drawback of cluelessness, but I waited and waited for a deal to show up, just to find I was being taxed to hell. Had I just gone ahead and purchased in October as I wanted to initially, the deal would have been almost the same.

Won’t sell on eBay anymore. Their screwed up seller protection turned me off long ago, when I lost the item, my payment and eBay locked my account for complaining about their screwed up protection. Very long story, but let’s just say I was being super professional in my conduct till they threatened to lock my 100% positive rating for over 8000 transactions. They just don’t give a damn.

I decided dealing with the crazies on CL and Offer Up was way easier. No tax, no shipping, no pulling funds out of your account without your approval, no dealing with careless staff, and no locked accounts. Suddenly the crazies on CL didn’t seem so bad.

The good thing about the tax is local venders now have a fighting chance, the bad things is...damn another tax for more wasteful spending. It’ll never be enough, nor end. Just a fact of life I suppose.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Yeah 13% is high with appx 3% of that being PayPal. Add the 9-10% Arizona sales tax and someone wanting to buy something from me on ebay, I'm looking at 23% less take home than my asking price. If I jack the price to make up for it, the item I'm selling is below the market value. Same is true if I see something I want to buy. Oh well, it is what it is.
I’d say let’s get together for some brews and bitch about it personally, but with AZ zero tolerance laws, we’d get DUIs just for exchanging thoughts of beer!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I very rarely (never?) buy anything with the intent on reselling it one day (I know that this isn't what anyone has implied in this discussion, but I thought it was worth mentioning). I also bear in mind that if I ever buy anything, especially new, that I should prepare to take an absolute bath on anything I try to sell. If I buy a new snare drum for $400, it's got to be worth losing about $225 on it. In my area, if I try to sell anything and if the 3-4 other drummers in town don't want it, then I usually end up keeping it for a long time.

I don't try to sell anything on Reverb or Ebay anymore due to fees and taxes. If I did, I would simply be desperate to get something out of the house as opposed to making any real money on it.

Lee-Bro

I recently messed up and bought something online w/o calculating the sales tax ahead of time. That combined w/ shipping put my purchase over the budget I had allotted for. The shipping costs I had figured, but the sales tax got me. Absent-mindedness got the best of me.

Old Dog new Cans

I was one of those who just didn’t know internet sales tax had become a thing. I stay away from pretty much all news media to save my sanity. I suppose this was a drawback of cluelessness, but I waited and waited for a deal to show up, just to find I was being taxed to hell. Had I just gone ahead and purchased in October as I wanted to initially, the deal would have been almost the same.

Won’t sell on eBay anymore. Their screwed up seller protection turned me off long ago, when I lost the item, my payment and eBay locked my account for complaining about their screwed up protection. Very long story, but let’s just say I was being super professional in my conduct till they threatened to lock my 100% positive rating for over 8000 transactions. They just don’t give a damn.

I decided dealing with the crazies on CL and Offer Up was way easier. No tax, no shipping, no pulling funds out of your account without your approval, no dealing with careless staff, and no locked accounts. Suddenly the crazies on CL didn’t seem so bad.

The good thing about the tax is local venders now have a fighting chance, the bad things is...damn another tax for more wasteful spending. It’ll never be enough, nor end. Just a fact of life I suppose.
This was me as well. Purchased something a few months back and the final price was considerably higher than anticipated.

Ebay certainly is different than in the past. I don't use it quite as much for selling.

bud7h4

Silver Member
I just think the taxes should be lower. 10% is outrageous. The state should spend our money better rather than simply steal more of it to compensate for their incompetence . . . . and corruption.

As for seller fees, I avoid selling anything over $200 or so on ebay. It depends somewhat on what I paid for them.
Like Bermuda said, I try to sell on forum exchanges.