Installing Jingles into my Agop hats... am I mad?

JohnnySomersett

Hey all,

I've been playing with a jingle ring over my hats for a year or two now and I love the sound, but it tends to move around a lot and sometimes gets in the way of sticking the top hat mid-song. So I've been toying with the idea of installing some jingles in one of them.

The hats are a pair of Sultan 14" and I would look to put 3-5 jingles in.

Firstly, how many would you use, how would you install them and would you put them in the top or bottom hat?

Or, am I mad for even considering this???

dmacc_2

All of my Agop cymbals are sacred to me. I love them just the way they are which is why I bought them in the first place.

Not that you would ever want or need to, but resale could be a little bit tougher as well....

They are yours, do what you want.

rstix

i personally would not install jingles if i owned agop hats. what do your jingles rings look like?

rstix

yeah i have a pair of hat tricks like that too - they sound great and do a great job. I can see how they get in the way of hitting the bell of the hats. But they are so easy to switch on and off, i would just choose tunes in which u want them and if you play a tune with a lot of hh sticking then take them off. I wouldn't risk drilling with such great cymbals that are worth so much

JohnnySomersett

Hmmm, maybe you're right. I might be able to build something that drapes the jingles over the hat so they contact it fully.

off to the drawing board...

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Or, am I mad for even considering this???
Stark, raving.

Pretty permanent mod for an effect that you may decide you don't want to be so permanent in the future. I'm sure there's a better solution than drilling a perfectly good pair of hats to install an effect that isn't appropriate for every musical situation the hats may be used in.

I'm not following how it moves around and gets in the way mid song though. Isn't it like every other ching ring that just clamps to the rod, safely out of the way of flying drumsticks and still leaving plenty of available real estate on the top hat?

JohnnySomersett

I know what you mean... I don't clamp it to the rod, it gets draped over the clutch so it's actually resting on the hats - so it jingles with every hit of the hats. As you play, the vibrations move it around and often to the front of the hats where you stick. Also, doing it this way, the weight gives the hats an annoying tilt too.

I THINK I might have come up with a solution just now on my notepad so I might have to build a prototype.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I don't clamp it to the rod, it gets draped over the clutch so it's actually resting on the hats - so it jingles with every hit of the hats. As you play, the vibrations move it around and often to the front of the hats where you stick. Also, doing it this way, the weight gives the hats an annoying tilt too.
Gotcha. What about a tambourine then? I've used one resting on the hats in the past.....always worked well for me. Same effect, but due to it being a little bigger and more weighty there's a better chance of it staying put. Get one of the tambs shaped like a semi circle, put the corner over the rod and hang the rest off the back of the hats out of the way of the stick. Worth a try. And a better option than drilling holes IMHO.

JohnnySomersett

Gotcha. What about a tambourine then? I've used one resting on the hats in the past.....always worked well for me. Same effect, but due to it being a little bigger and more weighty there's a better chance of it staying put. Get one of the tambs shaped like a semi circle, put the corner over the rod and hang the rest off the back of the hats out of the way of the stick. Worth a try. And a better option than drilling holes IMHO.
That's actually how I used to do it! But it was way too heavy feeling and made splashes almost impossible to do with finesse.

I've got a plan now, just need to execute it and work out what materials to use