Installing a tom mount on a virgin bass drum..

RockNGrohl

hey guys, I'm thinking of installing installing a single tom mount, with a triple clamp Yamaha tom arm holding two Yamaha ball style Gibraltar tom arms. It is being put on a virgin Ludwig bass drum. But I have some fears and questions. Is the bass drum factory mount-less for a reason? Do I have to worry about the shell being too thin to hold this mount and arms? What about the drilling? Any tips to avoid lots of chip-out? I'll be drilling from the outside in of course. It is a Signet bass drum with a veneer. Or should I leave the bass drum virgin? How does a mount really affect the sound? Is it a lot or negligible? I'm debating doing it or returning the mount and tom clamp and keeping it the way it is. Any advice?

One thing...

I'm sure you already know this but be sure to start the holes small - at least 3 increasingly larger drill bits, maybe even more.

I'm sure that Bermuda drilled his Signet kit, and I don't recall him having any issues. The shell is more than adequate to hold up to anything you can mount on it under normal conditions. It won't change the sound enough to outweigh the benefits imo.

I've done things like this and sometimes I've regretted it, so be sure you really want to do it. It's like getting a tattoo - you'll have to live with it if you grow not to like it. But, if you're past that, then I believe any bass drum will be able to handle a single tom.

Do I have to worry about the shell being too thin to hold this mount and arms? What about the drilling? Any tips to avoid lots of chip-out? Any advice?

The shell is not too thin. You won't have any problems. Just be careful about positioning. How far from the batter head you want it is critical.

When drilling, use a hole saw. First drill a small pilot hole with a small bit, then use the hole saw but don't go all the way through. Then use the hole saw again from the other side. You won't have any splintering that way.

I've given it some thought and I decided to leave the bass drum it as it is. I've always had bass drum mounted toms so it's familiar to me. But the big long tom arm clamp tube disappearing into the bass drum doesn't appeal to me anymore and the drilling kinda freaks me out. Also I have more positioning for the toms flying them off cymbal stands. I can move them back and forth and put them as close together as I want. I have a set off lightweight flat base hardware I've been using, but I also have heavy duty hardware too. I can save the light stands for my small kit. The flat base stands worked and held up the toms, but had some wobble. I think I was pushing it having them take that weight. heh.. So I'll use my big boom stands for this kit. But thanks for the advice!

hey guys, I'm thinking of installing installing a single tom mount, [...] It is being put on a virgin Ludwig bass drum.

giphy.gif

I've given it some thought and I decided to leave the bass drum it as it is.

giphy.gif

Just a thought---if you are using L-rod mounts on the toms there is no reason the down-tube needs to go through the shell---just cut it off at the height you need, and use a gasket under the mount. If you decide you don't like it somewhere down the road you only have 4 small holes in the shell.

Well if he really wants it then why not? There's nothing wrong with them.

It's just personal preference.

The thought of attaching a fan bit to my drill, squeezing the trigger, and drilling into one of my kick drum shells freaks me out a little.

Just a thought---if you are using L-rod mounts on the toms there is no reason the down-tube needs to go through the shell---just cut it off at the height you need, and use a gasket under the mount. If you decide you don't like it somewhere down the road you only have 4 small holes in the shell.

That's how my Starclassic Maple mount works. I am all about tom mounts on my bass drums.

I'm sure you already know this but be sure to start the holes small - at least 3 increasingly larger drill bits, maybe even more.

BTW, you don't step drill bass drums for a mount, you use a hole saw.

The drilled piece can then be re used if you ever want to plug the hole again.

Drilling BD shells with a hole saw makes it real easy, hardest part is getting your marked lines centered.

Attachments

• Hole saw 1.png
    Hole saw 1.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 261
Yeah, I thought about all the points you guys made, but in the end having a solid bass drum seems better to me than having a mount on it. I think I just had to see the hardware in person to decide, plus I was using the wrong type of stands. I switched to my bigger double braced boom stands and seem to have no issues with the toms feeling to wobbly. But I almost did it. My woodworking skills aren't perfect though, lol.. It just seems right to leave it as it is. But you know how OCD and picky we can get over the minutiae of our gear, right? I have a drummer friend who obsessed over tension screw washers! Metal versus nylon? hmm..

BTW, you don't step drill bass drums for a mount, you use a hole saw.

The drilled piece can then be re used if you ever want to plug the hole again.

Drilling BD shells with a hole saw makes it real easy, hardest part is getting your marked lines centered.

Indeed. I drilled a hole for my Renown and did a small hole just to check position and then used a 1 inch hole saw for the final hole, and maybe 1/4 inch for the mounting bolts. I posted my process somewhere on the forum. You just have to measure about 5 times before cutting and then it's a simple process.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35457&page=21 go here, then page 21 post 818 and you can see what I did.

One thing to remember is to put tape on the drum where you are drill and put a block of wood on the inside when drill to prevent any chipping or blowout.

Last edited:
Back