INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

They have to keep producing new videos on a tight regular schedule, eventually their content is inevitably going to decline in quality
THAT seems to be what all the Music Producer companies did to acts in the past. "Put it out, NOW"---and the quality suffers.

I think for me, if I see a drummer "all made up", I assume the video is about them, not drumming.

I was around for the "first wave" of all of the YT female drummers playing songs, and I count Anika Nilles as part of that first wave. Shhe struck me as being so completely different - and genuine - because she played her own stuff for the most part, and she did not look like a "selfie-slut"...it was refreshing for me to see. Shhe is a legit musician...not a copier per se (I mean, we are all really copying somebody...)

So she "stuck" with me. I honestly don't really remember the rest of that first wave - maybe Meytal Cohen (?) - other than a bunch of over lipsticked, too tight dress wearing, mugging for the camera types. Some of them were great at plsying from what I could tell - or were at least faster than I am, but I did not want to dig deeper becasue of the facade...

Anika Nilles
Got an email yesterday telling me all about her new signature stick from Promark.
She is a legit talent, not a face.
I too, have little interest in seeing anyone post video after video of them playing a cover. If I want to see/hear Tool, I can watch Danny Carey, as an example.

Got an email yesterday telling me all about her new signature stick from Promark.
She is a legit talent, not a face.
I too, have little interest in seeing anyone post video after video of them playing a cover. If I want to see/hear Tool, I can watch Danny Carey, as an example.

same here...

show me your playing in the context of something you have come up with

This woman is one of my favourites. She is an incredibly talented player, great instructor, and most important to me, she has an absolute blast playing the drums.

Ooof, and now the blatant misogyny that simmers beneath the surface on Drummerworld has come out again.

Vaguely on topic - but something that irritates me more than it should about Instagram drummers.

Female (and it does seem to by 90% women) drummers playing whilst looking at the camera. To me, it just makes the video not about the drumming, but about them - which I guess is the point of Instagram. Are they making eye-contact with members of the audience when playing live?

Uh, I look at my audience all the time when I play drums live. I don't see why looking at a camera is any different?

Ooof, and now the blatant misogyny that simmers beneath the surface on Drummerworld has come out again.

Uh, I look at my audience all the time when I play drums live. I don't see why looking at a camera is any different?
Woah - hold your horses, no misogyny here... I didn't say it was wrong, just that it irritates me, which was the point of this thread.

They're great drummers, I just find it really odd that they stare straight into the camera. Also, I'd be really disconcerted if a musician was fixing me with eye-contact whilst playing. @Faithndrums or @Krystinebejjani are great examples...

Edit: I only specifically said women, as I've never seen a video of a guy doing this...

Last edited:
This woman is one of my favourites. She is an incredibly talented player, great instructor, and most important to me, she has an absolute blast playing the drums.
She is fantastic. One of my favorites also, regardless of gender, genre, etc. Watching Emmanuelle play drums makes me want to play drums. What more could one ask for?

Woah - hold your horses, no misogyny here... I didn't say it was wrong, just that it irritates me, which was the point of this thread.

Eh, that wasn't directed specifically at you, but you saying it made a bunch of people come out of the woodwork. I wasn't accusing you, but what you said didn't help either.

Edit: I only specifically said women, as I've never seen a video of a guy doing this...

Heh, you should watch Fripp playing Larks with the Wetton-era King Crimson lineup.

Eh, that wasn't directed specifically at you, but you saying it made a bunch of people come out of the woodwork. I wasn't accusing you, but what you said didn't help either.

Heh, you should watch Fripp playing Larks with the Wetton-era King Crimson lineup.

Yeah, fair point - just read some of those that posted after me. Valid criticism on your side "Selfie-slut"?! FFS...

I normally don't care for 80:20 (the content to me is a bit meh and just meandering) but that video was pretty funny, haha.
As he's a jazz educated guy, his vids don't always appeal to me. But the content is well made, funny and usually applies to something I'm working on.

The point of female drummers dressing in skimpy tops & eyeing the camera still shows it's about social media likes & not drumming.
I choose not to follow people like that regardless of gender.

Anika is one of the few who puts the instrument first, her being a girl second.

yeah...she also miiight be first wave as I mentioned before, but she also comes from a "sound" upbringing in drums it seems just by the way she plays, talks, and interacts. I don't get the vibe that she is selling her looks first in her videos

The point of female drummers dressing in skimpy tops & eyeing the camera still shows it's about social media likes & not drumming.
Yes. I can't think of any famous drummers from previous generations who would dress in an eye-catching manner or do stuff designed to catch attention and "likes." :)

AlexVanHalen800_Getty_11_20.jpg

Yes. I can't think of any famous drummers from previous generations who would dress in an eye-catching manner or do stuff designed to catch attention and "likes." :)

AlexVanHalen800_Getty_11_20.jpg
Luckily for them (and us), social media wasn't a "thing" so it was all about being as entertaining while playing with the band as they could.

I still maintain those doing like I previously mentioned aren't in it for the drums or how well they play in a group. It's just for the likes & subs.
If that's their deal, fine. I don't have to waste minutes of my life on them anymore than they do for me.

..Ooof, and now the blatant misogyny that simmers beneath the surface on Drummerworld has come out again..

Well, i am also not a huge fan of the way how female drummers oft are spoken about here, but in this case i completely agree with what durbs said..

There is no reason at all to constantly look in the camera while recording a video playing drums and is also completely not the same like having a live audience..

Imagine Weckl, Smith, Colaiuta or any other guy looking constantly in the camera while playing..

They would look like complete freaks..

If i look a video of a drummer (female, male, transgender, whatever, couldnt care less) i want to see someone playing drums, nothing more..

Needless to say i have nothing with people like that 80/20 guy or any other channel looking like that..

Even if what they say has educational value or if they can really play, the whole presentation of “look at me trying to entertain” annoys me that much that i am not even hearing what they say..

Regarding (educational) drumming content, i prefer people who just play drums or educate or both, like for example Rick Dior, in a normal way..

Meaning, what i consider normal (which may be different from others), meaning not with a million dumb graphics, “jokes” or any other crap like that..

If i want to see a clown, i will search for a clown and not a “entertaining” drumming video..

That said, luckily almost the whole history of the instrument and top education and 1000’s of videos with awesome playing content can be found on YT too..

Which is the reason i basically never see those “entertaining” videos, except in threads like this..

Btw….with those 90.000 subscribers, hopefully that 80/20 guy couldnt care less what a member on this forum has to say about that..lol..

Back