INSTAGRAM / YOUTUBE DRUMMING CULTURE: LOVE IT? HATE IT? WHY?

Learing the parts note for note is one thing, but coming up with them is a completely different animal. Its not necessarily the playing that's amazing, but what they choose to play. I can learn plenty of complicated songs note for note; could I have written the parts as well as they did? Probably not.
which is why I said you can really only judge someone's talent when you hear stuff they wrote...

I think when people say oh Peart sucks (for example)....I think what they really mean is Pearts style doesn't resonate with them.

Or the genre doesn't resonate with them like Seafroggys pointed out. Which is fine.

If Peart threw dog poop on the guys house for no reason at all, OK then Neil would suck ha ha.

Peart doesn't suck, he just didn't inspire the commenter. Peart and suck don't belong in the same sentence, you'll forgive me here. Peart has given the culture iconic lyrics just like John Lennon did. Focusing on the negative....a person could focus on positive too, so why the negs? It says more about the commenter than the target.

Agree. I also think the drummer's body of work has to be taken into context of what was being done at the time or done up to that particular era in music/drumming. Today John Bonham, Peart etc. might be fairly average or common from a skillset and recorded music perspective BUT in the 60's, 70s and early 80s there weren't too many folks that could compare behind a kit as far as ability to deliver what was then their unique parts and style.

Today younger drummers can poo poo the Bonhams, Pearts etc. as we are a couple generations away from the drummers they directly influenced. Now we have folks saying Portnoy is "ok" when Portnoy's biggest influence WAS Peart and he took that "thing" to a new level. And now, some "average" drummers by today's standards can pull off many of the technical things Portnoy and Peart pulled off over the past 20-40years...BUT without Peart or Portnoy blazing the trails and pushing the art to new levels and opening up the ears and creativity of new generations we may not be where we are today.

Discounting that, and not looking at what a drummer did in context to their era is somewhat foolish IMHO.

Quick Edit/Addition: Being able to "play" their parts is one thing, and certainly worthy of an "atta boy/girl", BUT coming up with those parts in the first place during the pressure of producing an album within X days of studio time is another. Then being able to PLAY those parts basically perfectly a couple hundred times per tour is yet another level. All of that is a mountain of skill, ability, influence and contribution which trumps a basement YTer at home pulling off a perfect Tom Sawyer or Free Will for video. Peart played that shit perfectly every night PLUS all the other damn songs........ And this is coming from someone who wasn't the biggest Peart fan.......

Last edited:
Agree. I also think the drummer's body of work has to be taken into context of what was being done at the time or done up to that particular era in music/drumming.

1000% agreed.

It bugs me when someone doesn't take the context into account.

1000% agreed.

It bugs me when someone doesn't take the context into account.
Hey now, speaking for the Americans here, that's our MO. Take things out of context in order to support our otherwise invalid argument. We've been doing it for decades.

I don’t understand a defense of the logic Pearl is “overrated” ? In what context- you mean like Ringo, John Bonham even Vinnie has some who state the same . Seems no winning despite all being considered a top drummer/ musician in world, iconic, long successful career seems like evidence weigh in their favor.

But I agree everyone is game for criticism as even apparently those who criticize ironically. You look hard enough you’ll find something to criticizes in everyone. I’ve done it too. I’m not chastising because I still feel my criticisms valid to despite similar arguments snd evidence from others.

It’s because we all have different taste and opinions. Peart had his pluses snd minuses and my score card puts him on plus side. My score card on Bonham is neutral- so I expect a good bashing for that LOL to each their own- it’s really good to see diversity of thought. Except I’m right and everyone else lost their minds ROFL. Way I look at it is having an opinion isn’t much good if you don’t or can’t defend with whatever points you feel strong about. Some may agree others disagree. But we shouldn’t bash each other only drums for an opinion. I think Vinnie can play anything - plenty disagree. They are all wrong of course but it’s only because they disagree I know I’m right - if everyone agreed oh no I must be wrong run.

Last edited:
..Now I also find all those new drummers Sanri Yamaguchi and the likes (to be all about chops and not groove) I can play like that but that to me is just noise. or what's his name from the 60's (finished the gig while having a heart attack...) well I find him also highly overrated..

His name was Buddy Rich and you are right, enormous overrated guy that was, could barely hold a stick, no swing, completely uneven notes always, no speed, sh*t technique, etc, really crap player..

Ask Weckl, he can tell you all about that..

Lol..

Anyway, regarding the “i can play like that”-part..

Also when you were only referring to Senri Kawaguchi (thats her name), any videos to back that up..?

Wondering where you've been Oldskoolsoul? I haven't noticed many comments of late. Glad to see you back.

I will admit to not having read all of the responses, but all of these platforms have their purpose, and there will always be those who take advantage of the platform to voice their angst and anger against all things. Like this forum, dating apps or websites there will be those clowns who have no positive agenda and are born trolls will only negative thoughts. I use Facebook to stay in touch with family and the many friends I met while working at the hospital for 15 years. There are many things I don't like about Facebook, but the positives at this point out weigh those. Food forums, art forums, gun forums, all of them were designed for positive actions and we all have to decide whether the positives, like the OP's teaching, are worth hanging around, and being able to flush the negatives.

Lol! No, it's a personal observation that some things aren't necessarily better in a democratized mass-manipulated for profit model. Yes, there is a ton of information in video format for anyone to benefit from. But with no gatekeeper it can be overwhelming and tends to shift focus from what is proven effective onto what's geared for instant gratification and page views.
Be nice to think that schoolkids are taught how to filter this internet torrent somehow.

They want control.

yep...they are looking for easy minds to exploit...it is a pure money grab. Advertise a bunch of (planned concepts) to kids who will then incessantly whine to their parents about "wanting/needing this sooooo bad". Parents will then give in to quell the whining = products sold!!!

I live surrounded by this world in the students in my classrooms. (Anti) Social Media has corrupted too many minds.

Yes, I am old
Yes, get off of my lawn

But man, I fight - and have to undo - so much ignorance and time wasting that is brought on by 100% fully directed content on (anti)social media platforms...it is sad to see the "dumbing down" happening

“It appears that Facebook is not responding to a need, but instead creating one, as this platform appeals primarily to children who otherwise do not or would not have an Instagram account"

Isnt this loosely the same argument they tried to make about legalizing cannabis? "If we legalize, that will appeal to people who dont smoke pot and everyone will become potheads. That will crumble society."

Kids aren't stupid. I dont know why adults insist they are. The folks screaming "NO" probably have kids or grandkids that are much more internet savvy then they are, and already have accounts anyhow. Anyone can lie about their age on the internet. Plus, when you tell a kid no they want that thing even more.

They want control.
The feds or facebook? Either way they are both out of control.

FB feeds the feds data. Sometimes even without a subpoena.
As is their right. The fact almost no one bothers to actually read the TOS for FB is their own fault. It lays out, albeit not clearly, that FB collects data from your personal page and whatever you share and they can then do as they please with that information. The fact people blindly share intimate details of their lives on a website has always baffled me.
FB and all it's associated entities are nothing but flashy data mining operations to sell advertising and make The Zuckerbot 2.0 more money. If you can't see that or refuse to acknowledge it, you forfeit your right to complain about what is done with said data.
I never joined FB. I always saw it as utterly useless and time has proven me right.

FB feeds the feds data. Sometimes even without a subpoena.
I keep telling my wife that FB is watching her. She says "I want a bench for the porch." Two minutes later she gets ads for park benches. She thinks its coincidence.

I can only imagine the stream of useless info from FB that is gathered and looked upon without hesitation. Yet how many times do we hear, after someone snaps, that the feds were looking into them years ago but did nothing about it.

I keep telling my wife that FB is watching her. She says "I want a bench for the porch." Two minutes later she gets ads for park benches. She thinks its coincidence.

I can only imagine the stream of useless info from FB that is gathered and looked upon without hesitation. Yet how many times do we hear, after someone snaps, that the feds were looking into them years ago but did nothing about it.
It's the app on her phone. It has permission to use the microphone and the camera, as well as have access to her contacts. More of the data mining she agreed to in the TOS.
Anyone remember the human centiPad episode of South Park? It all stemmed from people not reading Apple's TOS agreement before agreeing.

Back