inspire me on my drumkit build finish

veecharlie

Hello guys !
I am so undecided of what finish will my first custom kit be. I wanted to hear out ideas and opinions.. I can't get anything decided without at the next day saying "I don't want this anymore, I want this".

So here is the config of the drums:
All shells are maple
22x20 kick (virgin)
14x5,5 snare
14x8 snare
12x8 floating tom
16x16 floor tom
It will have die cast hoops, rounded and small lugs (a bit like the Tama ones)

I am also undecided about the color of the hardware.. I love the "brushed" anodized and also love the "satin" one..
So far I am searching for varnish and not wrap, opaque and not bright.. I'm thinking of colors like withe, tobacco sunburst (a bit like fender), variations of such sunbursts, withe and a blue strip, satin blue, satin black, etc and thinking to maybe add an extra layer with some cool wood if with sunburst... But.. Any better ideas ?

Hello guys !
I am so undecided of what finish will my first custom kit be. I wanted to hear out ideas and opinions.. I can't get anything decided without at the next day saying "I don't want this anymore, I want this".

So here is the config of the drums:
All shells are maple
22x20 kick (virgin)
14x5,5 snare
14x8 snare
12x8 floating tom
16x16 floor tom
It will have die cast hoops, rounded and small lugs (a bit like the Tama ones)

I am also undecided about the color of the hardware.. I love the "brushed" anodized and also love the "satin" one..
So far I am searching for varnish and not wrap, opaque and not bright.. I'm thinking of colors like withe, tobacco sunburst (a bit like fender), variations of such sunbursts, withe and a blue strip, satin blue, satin black, etc and thinking to maybe add an extra layer with some cool wood if with sunburst... But.. Any better ideas ?
What manufacturer are you looking at? Do you have pictures of the finishes you're pondering?

I would not do the 20" deep bass drum. I also don't like 16x16 floor toms, but to each their own.
Would love for you to elaborate further as to you disliking 16x16 floor toms.

I'm currently hammering-out last and final details of my new kit and have had my heart set on a double floor tom setup, sizes being 16x16 and 16x18.

Any/all info/advice/experience you can pass along to me, I'd be grateful.

What manufacturer are you looking at? Do you have pictures of the finishes you're pondering?

Its my own project.. The shells are going to be either Keller usa or some good luthier around Europe. I have access to professional machines for precise engraving,cutting, machining and lathe for the rest.
The finishes I was looking at.. You can find the variations of tobacco sunburst in the fender strats, colors like the black or white oak/maple of Ludwig, white pearl from tama, same foe the black satin from tama. Just as example reference.. I have seen amazing finishes on the SQ2 pf sonor also being opaque/satin which I loved !
The hardware anodized like the pearl satin or the dark chrome of tama (not the black one, the brushed one)
I'm also planning to use the deep snare as a snare/floortom before the 16 one. A bit Anika nilles style.

I would not do the 20" deep bass drum. I also don't like 16x16 floor toms, but to each their own.

It's indeed matter of taste and use. I will be mainly playing prog and worship, some experimental progressive stuff.. Etc.. So I find the versatility of the deep bass drum really nice and the second snare (the 14x8 will be serving as first floortom/snare before the 16 one. Later i plan to add more toms, but no near future

Its my own project.. The shells are going to be either Keller usa or some good luthier around Europe. I have access to professional machines for precise engraving,cutting, machining and lathe for the rest.
The finishes I was looking at.. You can find the variations of tobacco sunburst in the fender strats, colors like the black or white oak/maple of Ludwig, white pearl from tama, same foe the black satin from tama. Just as example reference.. I have seen amazing finishes on the SQ2 pf sonor also being opaque/satin which I loved !
The hardware anodized like the pearl satin or the dark chrome of tama (not the black one, the brushed one)
I'm also planning to use the deep snare as a snare/floortom before the 16 one. A bit Anika nilles style.
Righteous! Myself, I'm an Exotic Wood guy, so anything with a grain pattern is tops!

DW does a nice one I like. Check it out

I thought of it after seeing your interest in a Tobacco Sunburst Finish. Endless possibilities. As for hardware, I really like plain Chrome. When all shiny and polished it looks so rich.

Would love for you to elaborate further as to you disliking 16x16 floor toms.

I'm currently hammering-out last and final details of my new kit and have had my heart set on a double floor tom setup, sizes being 16x16 and 16x18.

Any/all info/advice/experience you can pass along to me, I'd be grateful.

I don't like the way they sound. To me they generally have a boxier sound with too much attack and head dominance in their tone. Mostly full of overtones and lacking a dominant fundamental. I prefer a shorter depth to create a stronger fundamental sound. The shallower depth also gives the drum a bit more room between the bottom of it and the floor allowing more sound to be created before it gets sucked up in to the floor.

. . . I am also undecided about the color of the hardware.. I love the "brushed" anodized and also love the "satin" one.

I dig Tama's black nickel finish, and their new black satin finish, but be aware that none of these finishes are as durable as chrome. They will show scratches and burnish marks over time, even with careful handling. With chrome hardware, only lack of care (e.g., not cleaning regularly and carless portage) will ruin the finish.

There's too many options to say "this one", especially on the web. You're on your own regarding color.

However, make sure the surface is properly prepared and the coatings are correctly applied. In a past life I used to custom paint cars and the prep was far more more critical than the color. I'd also consider applying tung oil to the inside of the shell once the paint has cured.

I dig Tama's black nickel finish, and their new black satin finish, but be aware that none of these finishes are as durable as chrome. They will show scratches and burnish marks over time, even with careful handling. With chrome hardware, only lack of care (e.g., not cleaning regularly and carless portage) will ruin the finish.

There's too many options to say "this one", especially on the web. You're on your own regarding color.

However, make sure the surface is properly prepared and the coatings are correctly applied. In a past life I used to custom paint cars and the prep was far more more critical than the color. I'd also consider applying tung oil to the inside of the shell once the paint has cured.

That's a very good point to take in mind.. Reconsidering chrome

Righteous! Myself, I'm an Exotic Wood guy, so anything with a grain pattern is tops!

DW does a nice one I like. Check it out

I thought of it after seeing your interest in a Tobacco Sunburst Finish. Endless possibilities. As for hardware, I really like plain Chrome. When all shiny and polished it looks so rich.

That finish looks reeeallly cool.!

I don't like the way they sound. To me they generally have a boxier sound with too much attack and head dominance in their tone. Mostly full of overtones and lacking a dominant fundamental. I prefer a shorter depth to create a stronger fundamental sound. The shallower depth also gives the drum a bit more room between the bottom of it and the floor allowing more sound to be created before it gets sucked up in to the floor.
Many thanks for weighing-in on this for me, TD! Definitely re-thinking floor tom sizes now after reading this, in addition to a few other posts in my Tom Quandary convo.

Many thanks for weighing-in on this for me, TD! Definitely re-thinking floor tom sizes now after reading this, in addition to a few other posts in my Tom Quandary convo.

Since you are going with dw, why not go for their f.a.s.t. drum sizes ? It would at least take that factor out of the equation. Just a suggestion.

Every time I tried building a custom set I would be submerged by the number of decisions to be made: number of drums, wood type, number of plies, grain orientation (??), colours (finish, inlay, fade type and colour, hardware, tension rods), mounting systems.... Heck just taking a couple of elements out of the equation should save you some sleep.

And after owning a couple of 16x16 floor toms, I agree with Tommy and add that weight is also a factor to be taking into account.

Since you are going with dw, why not go for their f.a.s.t. drum sizes ? It would at least take that factor out of the equation. Just a suggestion.

Every time I tried building a custom set I would be submerged by the number of decisions to be made: number of drums, wood type, number of plies, grain orientation (??), colours (finish, inlay, fade type and colour, hardware, tension rods), mounting systems.... Heck just taking a couple of elements out of the equation should save you some sleep.

And after owning a couple of 16x16 floor toms, I agree with Tommy and add that weight is also a factor to be taking into account.
Greetings, Alex! Re: DW's FAST Toms line, you're right, the more and more I compare the depths of the FAST line of toms, the more I'm telling myself, that's the way to go, and it seems a good number (if not all) of the YouTube videos where DW Drums are showcased, shell sizes are of the FAST Tom line.

As for being absolutely, 100%, positively sold on DW, I'm not there yet, though my heart is telling me, go DW. With that said, I owe it to myself to sample a Yamaha kit (or two), and if I can arrange it, a Sonor kit. Those being my two other interests.

Personal taste it is - of course - but to go back to your colour questioning, I like very much piano white kits, or pearl white, like the one you may find on star classic B/B. My kit is White Coral, a kind of iridescent white, absolutely gorgeous.

I had a sneaking suspicion you'd like it. :)

I used to love that color until I heard someone say that it looks like the drums were found floating in the ocean. Now I can't unhear it.

I used to love that color until I heard someone say that it looks like the drums were found floating in the ocean. Now I can't unhear it.
Roaring with laughter! The one that makes me recoil is this one

I believe it was someone here who stated that it looked like scabs. Since that time I can't look at it. :)

Back