inspire me on my drumkit build finish

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
A finish I have seen a lot of lately is called by a few as Seafoam Green. I'm not a real green lovin guy but the Seafoam has enough whitish mixed in so that it isn't overwhelming.

Stroker

Platinum Member
A finish I have seen a lot of lately is called by a few as Seafoam Green. I'm not a real green lovin guy but the Seafoam has enough whitish mixed in so that it isn't overwhelming.
I'm with you on that, Grunt.

Veecharlie. To dovetail into what Grunt, mentioned related to the Seafoam Green colour. Seafoam Green

veecharlie

Hey guys !
I'm sorry for the late reply, I remained without Internet because thr landlord didn't pay the bills yet.. irritating, anyways..
I'm a really big fan of tama, ludwig and sonor.. so, in terms of hardware I took many ideas from them, as it is more or less the sound I want to achieve. I have a couple of unique ideas too, which is part of my customised part..
I am now thinking the option of changing the 16x16 floor tom, but what depth shall I give it then ? I plan to in future add a 14x14 later on, so that's why I tought... ? What would be better ? I want it to be able to reach big lows, and have a good projection... want to be able to switch between attack and sustain with simple moongel and hdifferent heads.

About the finishes... I loved all of them, and I am a big silver sparkle fan, but I am thinking now of something that calls a bit less the attention and looks a bit more "sublime". As I will be bringing this set to worship too, I wouldn't want to give the impression of showing off "my money" or stuff like that lol. Correct me if I'm wrong. Altough I am very tempted to add a mapla burl and make such a dw finish, more like the second one is even nicer !!!

Stroker

Platinum Member
About the finishes... I loved all of them, and I am a big silver sparkle fan, but I am thinking now of something that calls a bit less the attention and looks a bit more "sublime". As I will be bringing this set to worship too, I wouldn't want to give the impression of showing off "my money" or stuff like that lol. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Your first order should be to yourself. When the curtains open revealing a pianist on stage, there's no concern over how shiny and rich-looking the finely crafted case is, and the same should hold true for your kit. JMTC. :)

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I am now thinking the option of changing the 16x16 floor tom, but what depth shall I give it then ? I plan to in future add a 14x14 later on, so that's why I tought... ? What would be better ? I want it to be able to reach big lows, and have a good projection... want to be able to switch between attack and sustain with simple moongel and hdifferent heads.
I've owned both a 16 x 16 and a 16 x 14. I really like both of them. Since I'm getting older, I like carrying a 16 x 14 better. At church I have both a 16x14 and a 14x12 floor toms, and I get every bit of sound out of them that I could ever want. I'm not a big fan of the square-sized toms these days.

About the finishes... I loved all of them, and I am a big silver sparkle fan, but I am thinking now of something that calls a bit less the attention and looks a bit more "sublime". As I will be bringing this set to worship too, I wouldn't want to give the impression of showing off "my money" or stuff like that lol. Correct me if I'm wrong. Altough I am very tempted to add a mapla burl and make such a dw finish, more like the second one is even nicer !!!
In church, the only people that will care about the finish are gear-heads, but only when you initially bring them in. Even if you get bright lime green sparkle, no one will care after about 2-3 weeks, tops. Most will forget within a few minutes of you playing. In terms of color and/or finish choice, get something YOU will truly love, not what you think will "fit" in a sanctuary. My Pork Pie USA kit sits at my church and is a turquoise sparkle, and I think it looks great! No one cars about the finish at all. Heck, no one said anything about them when I brought them in, in terms of the color choice.

While I personally believe that there are better-sounding kits for less money, DW tugs at my heart strings with their finishes. I love blue fades with the mappa burl, the curly maple, and the "mineral maple" (in wood-working, this is known as wormy maple, but I'm sure DW changed the name for it to sound more appealing). I would not know which to pick if given a choice. They are all beautiful. Although I love my wrapped Pork Pie drums, at this point in my life, I think I prefer wood grain.

veecharlie

I've owned both a 16 x 16 and a 16 x 14. I really like both of them. Since I'm getting older, I like carrying a 16 x 14 better. At church I have both a 16x14 and a 14x12 floor toms, and I get every bit of sound out of them that I could ever want. I'm not a big fan of the square-sized toms these days.

In church, the only people that will care about the finish are gear-heads, but only when you initially bring them in. Even if you get bright lime green sparkle, no one will care after about 2-3 weeks, tops. Most will forget within a few minutes of you playing. In terms of color and/or finish choice, get something YOU will truly love, not what you think will "fit" in a sanctuary. My Pork Pie USA kit sits at my church and is a turquoise sparkle, and I think it looks great! No one cars about the finish at all. Heck, no one said anything about them when I brought them in, in terms of the color choice.

While I personally believe that there are better-sounding kits for less money, DW tugs at my heart strings with their finishes. I love blue fades with the mappa burl, the curly maple, and the "mineral maple" (in wood-working, this is known as wormy maple, but I'm sure DW changed the name for it to sound more appealing). I would not know which to pick if given a choice. They are all beautiful. Although I love my wrapped Pork Pie drums, at this point in my life, I think I prefer wood grain.
HEY! I have to admit I love your snares. In the worship drummers group they are very popular and I really wish one haha. One day or another...
What is the difference in sound of all three sizes? I'm guessing sustain and attack but.. still wondering.

I'm kinda looking more and more to a withe finish with nickel hardware.. maybe because it was my dream to have a white colored drum for more than 7 years ?.?
Thanks for sharing about thr drums in church. I feel much relieved about it now haha !

veecharlie

Hey guys! I wanted to update a bit... I am going to order the first proto, the snare, today. (The time has come!!!!!)
I was already going towards white finishes, but yesterday I got inspired and tonight I will order the shell!

Will choose horizontal Macassar Ebony with brushed bronze lugs and hardware. Clear opaque finish. "Modern-Vintage" kind of look.

I think I will love it!!!! It's completely different from anything suggested or that I classified as "possible finish" in my notesbook... I'd love to show you how it looks like when finished. You guys have brought me great inspiration!
My kit color it's still from this thread. I love white, and guess what, it will be a white kit, but not just as simple as that.

I will do a thread apart for the whole snare on its own, so yo can hear how it sounds, features, etc. Thanks guys for the geat input! (Y)